ATC speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by motorcitydave, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I do have a Pass Aleph P preamp right now which is fully balanced. IMO with a preamp with low enough output impedance you will be able to drive 20+ feet of cable even single ended.

From looking around at DIY boards it looks like the active version is actively tri-amped, ie individual amp for each driver- do you know if that is accurate?

I was thinking about a used X350.5 when I had Pass in mind since my listening will not be all that loud. The XA.5 amps are too dear for me at the time being given how much of the budget the speakers are going to eat up.

I'm hoping to hear both the actives and passives, but maybe prioritizing the actives.

Basically my goals upgrading from the ESL63:

-better bass
    -more accurate imaging
    -higher output
    -retain the natural tonality of the ESLs

2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The issue is generally not how long a single-ended cable an amp. can drive, but whether the cable will be subject to interference (RFI).

For the larger models (50 and up), yes, that is correct. The amps. also work mostly in Class A (2/3 power, if I remember correctly). The bass amp. in a 150 is 350 W, with smaller amps. for mid-range and tweeter.

The X.350 is a great stereo amp. Unless you plan to have the pre- close to your seat, there is no need in that case to have long interconnects, but you will need long speaker cables instead. If you go this route, and the meter on the X.350 does not move, it means the amp. is working in Class A. Keep in mind that the X.350 will give off about 700 W in idle. If, like me, you power your gear 24/7, you need to think about heat and the electric bill! :)

3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

For the larger models (50 and up), yes, that is correct. The amps. also work mostly in Class A (2/3 power, if I remember correctly). The bass amp. in a 150 is 350 W, with smaller amps. for mid-range and tweeter.

Hi,

The Bass amp in an ATC 150 is 200W
    The Midrange amp is 100W
    The Tweeter amp is 50W

This a total of 350W per speaker.

Cheers

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You are correct. Thanks for the clarification.

5. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

Hey it's not like your post was 2 years ago!!! (nearly) :confused:

Geez, sorry for being so ATC ANAL :crazy:

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

It didn't help that I was also discussing the Pass X.350 at the same time! :)

Linger63 likes this.
  7. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

ATC speakers? Best I've used. I'm currently using ATC100 active tower speakers and they're really all the speaker I could ever need. The only problem (for me) is their physical size, which creates problems in my room. Not due to sonic issues, but simply that I can't position them quite where I'd like them to go. Which is why they are (sadly) for sale.... a move back to smaller active speakers (Adams or ATC50s) and decent cans are in my future....

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's too bad - I hope you can match their sound with something smaller.

9. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

I'm sure I can get most of the way there with my Adams, albeit limited in bass extension. My headphones remain my absolute reference, probably because they avoid any room issues. SPL Phonitor and Sennheiser HD800s.

10. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I wouldn't call ATC 50's that "small";)

How about something like this??:cool:

http://tagnz.co.nz/specials/

Maybe you can squeeze a sub in a corner somewhere??:righton:

11. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

Hmmmm.... but 50s are a fair bit smaller than 100s...

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I never considered my 50s small, until I recently vistited someone who had two pairs of big Tannoys in a room smaller than mine, at 240 litres per speaker that gave me a new perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.