Athens, GA Record/CD Shops?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by alugjk, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    I'm probably going to Athens, Georgia this Saturday and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of record/CD shops I should hit. It's been a couple years since I've been there, but I remember Wuxtry and Low Yo-Yo being pretty cool. Anything else I should hit?
    Thanks,
    -George

2. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member Thread Starter

3. brstp

brstp Active Member

I've only been to Wuxtry, where the vinyl was much more expensive than I expected. Maybe I just caught them on a bad day.

4. snap

snap Forum Resident

Athens, GA has 34,000-plus Univ. of Georgia students in a town of 110,000, so the odds of scoring a deal on incredible rare music is near zilch. The suburban periphery of Atlanta (such as Norcross, Conyers, East Point, Hapeville, and Marietta) are the locations containing vinyl from the 50's-70's. Hit the junktique stores, mini-malls, and consignment shops.
    Athens hipsters are too full of their own music rep -- there's way too many wiseguys per square mile to snag the occasional artifact. The real action is where there used to be a thriving town and the early boomers are starting to downsize.

5. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

I was in Athens GA in February 2002 (I have relatives there) and I was disappointed. But I thought maybe it was the fact that I didn't know much about the local music scene or obscure American acts. As a foreigner, I found most of what I was looking for on Best Buy. I remember Wuxtry had the rare Buckingham-Nicks album for something like $70. I wonder if they were able to sell it. Wuxtry had lots of CDs by groups I wasn't familiar with.

On a side note, I had a lot of fun visiting the Bizarro Wuxtry comics store and found a few titles of interest in Jackson Street books.

6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Shhhh :shh: don't tell anyone, but there are more great deals to be found on collectible vinyl in the Atlanta area than perhaps anywhere else that I've been. Since moving here in the early nineties my collection has doubled. I can go out pretty much any day and find something that I may want. The only problem is that the stores are all over the place with up to 15-30 miles between them.

7. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

There's an antique store on the same street as Wuxtry (I think Clayton St) called Agora. It's next to one of the old 40 Watt Club locations. They have a bunch of vinyl in the back and I've found some cool new wave stuff there for decent prices. Wuxtry ain't much to go on about, although it's interesting just because of the R.E.M. connection. While there, take a drive down Oconnee(sp?) Street to see the steeple that remains from the church where R.E.M. got its start. There's also a Schoolkids Records on Clayton, but again, not much excitement there. Decent selection of used stuff, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.