Atlantic Rhythm and Blues 1947-74 box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeffrey, Jan 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hi,

I have an opportunity to buy the Atlantic Rhythm and Blues 1947-74 box set (14 LPs) for $55. All but two of the LP's are unplayed. Is anyone familiar w/ this boxset? If so, what kinda sound quality is this set? Should i buy it?

Thanks,
    Jeffrey :)

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's a great set, but the best sounding is the actual CD box. The Lps might not be very good, compared.

I have 4 of the double-sets which are a bit different, and the sonics weren't that hot. It was the CD (8CD) box that was much, much better.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Agreed. Skip it; get the later CD versions.

4. Jeffrey

Hi Scott,

THANKS! :) I really appreciate the advice b/c i woulda guessed the LP's woulda sounded better than the cd's. Goes to show, ya better not assume anything! :)

Take care,
    Jeffrey

5. Jeffrey

Hi Steve,

THANKS for the second. It b skipped! :)

Take care,
    Jeffrey

6. Sckott

Here's an example... One of my favorite songs on that is "Drinkin' Wine Spoo-Dee-O-Dee" by Stick McGhee. The LP set (and the seperate CDs sold FWIR) used the shellac single as the original Atlantic 78RPM single as the master. It wasn't a M- one either!

But the 8CD set used the full-track master. HUGE difference.

That's just an example. Sam & Dave, Otis, Aretha, all many notches better. Either good tape copies used OR the master. :)

I sold my seperate Cd sets since. Besides, many of them rotted!

7. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

Good news on this. I thought I'd read somewhere that the separate issues were superior. I guess I'll hang onto my box.

BTW, I used volume 7 as my wedding reception music. Worked great!

8. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Is the box still in print? Does it resemble the vinyl box?

9. Sckott

The 8CD is still in print. The box is a 12X12 box about 3" deep with large "program" sized booklet.

Box looks like: [​IMG]

10. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

Yes, it's still in print. BMG sells the box for $120, though it gets discounted to $80 or less from time to time.
    Or, you can pick up used copies for anywhere from $66-$85: Best Music Buys

GM

11. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

What a drop-dead great box set this one is. My wife played the whole thing the day I brought it home.

12. Sckott

Ray's Atlantic period (Genuis of) is deadly. Knocks me out.

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have three of the original CDs that were sold individually in the 80s before Atlantic quietly remastered them. They sound nice and flat, but the older CDs have wrong versions, and too much stereo.

But, I have to say that Atlantic made some fine CDs in the 80s! What the hell happened?

I have not heard the LPs, but I will stay away from them as Steve suggests. He hasn't steered me wrong yet!

14. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

Rhino has released a lot different Atlantc stuff. Anyone heard the single 1947-74 discs from 2006? are these mono mixes? How do they compare to the 1991 box and the original cd's and double lp's. I do like the 1991 box, but always felt it could have been done better with the mono mixes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.