Atomic Blonde

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Here's the red band trailer for the new Charlize Theron movie Atomic Blonde. I'm impressed by the editing and audio syncing with Queen's "Killer Queen". Movie trailers are an art form in their own right.

[Moderator note: Red-band trailer deleted. Not family-friendly.]

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2017
    Simon A, andrewskyDE and alexpop like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Must admit it looks not bad
    But ..the fight scenes look a bit stilted.
    Sex scenes more affective.:)

3. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Yeah looks ok, probably a rental for me.

eddiel likes this.
  4. alexpop

Here's me thinking it was a Debbie Harry thread.

PH416156 and Dudley Morris like this.
  5. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Jane Wick.

MisterBritt likes this.
  6. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

Seeing as the director of this is David Leitch - who was the co-director of the first John Wick along with Chad Stahelski - who directed the 2nd John Wick alone - I would like the pair to re-team for a John Wick/Atomic Blonde crossover. Imaging the body count!
    :hide:

Simon A and Dennis Metz like this.
  7. alexpop

No "Salt " in comparison, as far as a female action movie by the looks of the trailer.

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The combination of multitrack remixing and the actual track of 'Killer Queen' fit well indeed.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

Yeah, the film looks like it has good points, not just crazy mama sweet kick az action.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  10. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Looks interesting enough that I'm in for the ride. :righton:

:cheers:
    Cat

11. alexpop

Looks like Charlize Theron (41) is going to have a good year in 2017,
    FAST&Furious 8 o u t....soon!!!

12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I think I love her.

13. alexpop

Charlize Theron couldn't get work when she first came to Hollywood from sa, had to hire a vocal coach to learn to speak
    a m e r i c a n english.

Never stopped Jason Statham ( Statham's burgers ). :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  14. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Great cast! Toby Jones is spot on for this role. James McAvoy is always great as well. It looks like a female version of John Wick (which was co-directed by David Leitch, the director of Atomic Blonde). Very stylish.

I agree, great use of that Killer Queen remix.

15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Looks good to me.

Charlize looks great for 41.

16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Looks good :cheers:

17. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I saw the theater display for this earlier today. It features 8-10 critics' blurbs, all of them praising one of the movie's action scenes as among the greatest of all time.

18. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I'm kind of thinkin' that this movie will eventually be known as "Atomic Bomb," because I think it is gonna bomb at the box office.

Dave, Scott222C and The Hud like this.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

[Moderator note: Red-band trailer deleted. Not family-friendly.]

Ahem.

Warning: NSFW

20. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

There's also this thread:

Atomic Blonde [MODERATOR EDIT: Thread merged into this one.]

And, as I said in that other thread, (some) critics are raving about the action scene in the stairway.

21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

22. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Okay. Just guy back from seeing it and if you like spy movies with action and violence, this is a movie for you. Takes place in 1989 in Berlin during the Berlin Wall coming down. Charlize Theron played the part well as did James McAvoy (in his part). John Goodman, Toby Jones and Bill Skarsgard (Pennywise in the new It movie) are also good in their support roles. I believe John Goodman has become the white Samuel L. Jackson, in that he seems to appear in every movie now. LOL. Sofia Boutella (The Mummy, Star Trek Beyond) has a good role too, in addition to her nice looks.

Anyway, the Stairway fight scene, which has been lauded, is indeed a good action fight scene with nice choreography, but I don't think it is the best one ever, as some have said. My only gripe is the believability factor of a female, regardless of martial arts skill, being able to overpower multiple males at the same time with at least the same martial arts skills. If you can ignore that fact, the fight scenes are enjoyable to watch. There is a scene (or two) with Charlize and Sofia that some of you might enjoy also. :) I can see how many people have said that this is a female version of James Bond and the comparisons are obvious. I say her character is more like a female version of a cross between James Bond and John Wick.

The best part of the movie is the soundtrack. This movie has to be one of more recent movies with a great soundtrack. Guardians of The Galaxy covered the late 60s and 70s. This movie covers the '80s. If you liked MTV during the '80s, went clubbing in the '80s, liked '80s German and British pop, or even just enjoyed '80s music on the radio, you will like the soundtrack.

David Bowie
    Queen
    David Bowie and Queen ("Under Pressure")
    Peter Schilling ("Major Tom")
    New Order
    Flock of Seagulls
    George Michael
    Nena
    After The Fire
    Depeche Mode
    Duran Duran
    'Til Tuesday
    The Fixx
    Blondie

and a few others I didn't recognize.

Kyhl, andrewskyDE and budwhite like this.
  23. "Anyway, the Stairway fight scene, which has been lauded, is indeed a good action fight scene with nice choreography, but I don't think it is the best one ever, as some have said. My only gripe is the believability factor of a female, regardless of martial arts skill, being able to overpower multiple males at the same time with at least the same martial arts skills."

This is the stuff I am tired of. A female can have excellent fighting skills. A female can be tenacious, mean, aggressive and willing to fight. A female can be durable and able to take a hit. However, most females are not 180+ lbs when in top fighting condition...let alone 240+lbs like some genuine brawler males can be.
    This means the kick butt female weighing in at 140 lbs will not be punching 200 lb men across rooms, through walls or stair railings and flinging them with wonderful moves while also standing up to the abuse of others doing their best to end her.

I could see a well trained woman whomping the snot out of some untrained guy, or doing the same with some out of shape guy. When the story premise has the big angry men who are also well trained fighters yet unable to overtake the well trained, but much smaller woman, I find myself not caring anymore because reality is suspended without reality being suspended in the story line.
    To be fair I had the same issue with Roger Moore as James Bond. Good spy, excellent shot, a ladies man, awesome driver...just not a full tilt brawler due to his small size.

There is a VERY good reason fighting sports have weight classes.

mozz, Dudley Morris, Dave and 4 others like this.
  24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

6' 1" is small?

25. You are using height as your only measure.
    Muscle mass, bone density, speed and quickness, agility all make for the power fighter.
    Force, equals mass, times acceleration (F=ME) is a formula that comes into play here.
    Sure she is tall but she is not muscular or of heavy build (not fat but dense).

This means while she can fight she will not be a devastating hitter, a sure blocker, or a pusher or mover of objects.
    During a fight the 235lb trained, strong, quick agile fighter can hit her so hard as to break her when hit.
    Hit one and jaw or cheek bone is broken. Hit two and ribs are broken. Hit three and elbow joint is dislocated. Hit four and other already damaged areas are further damaged. Very quickly the big strong person...usually the man, will simply overpower the smaller fighter and win when hand to hand combat is the method of fighting.

MOST women in action movies are not even as big as Charlene...or as good looking. Maybe that is her tactic. Get the men all agog with her looks and kick the snot out of them while they are staring.

Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.