Attention Fans of Phantom or the Paradise: Phantompalooza in Winnipeg

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by D_minor, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D_minor

D_minor Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

The Juicy Fruits!

Now that's a band! :D

Seriously, that's getting to be quite an event!

3. D_minor

D_minor Senior Member Thread Starter

A sixty-two week run! Sixty-one weeks longer than anywhere else in the world (except Halifax!) :)

Phantom's theatrical run in Winnipeg ends - with the 8:15 pm screening on Thursday, March 4 (1976) - after a staggering 62 weeks. (Taking its place? Cinepix tax-shelter writeoff The Mourning Suit.) Locals didn't have to cry in their masks long after the movie ceased to be shown. On Saturday, March 6, 1976 CKND-TV aired a Paul Williams Paul Williams concert recorded with the Edmonton Symphony.

4. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Very, Very Cool!!!!!! And; I do mean, COOL!!!!

It's one of my all-time favorite movies!! Loved it all! The Story! They Music!!! And; especially, Jessica Harper (Phoenix)!! And; yes! Of course; Beef! (played by Gerritt Graham - although, the actual singing was by Ray Kennedy)

Yet, it bombed initially at the the box office. It did become a Cult Classic!!
    : :righton: :righton: :righton:

Oh! And you know, "The Juicy Fruits", and Beef's band, "The Undead" was one and the same. And; "The Beach Bums", too.

5. Christopher J

Christopher J Norme Con Ironie

That sounds like an awesome event! Now if only we can get the extras from the French SE DVD released here in the US:
    DVD FEATURES
    DVD 1
    Anamorphic (16:9) Widescreen Version
    English DTS, English 5.1, English 2.0, French DTS and French 5.1 Audio Options
    Introduction by Gerrit Graham (in French only)
    DVD 2
    "Paradise Regained" documentary (English Audio) (50:14) (This will also be screened at Phantompalooza)
    "White card to Rosanna Norton" Interview (English Audio) (9:37)
    "False Advert by Robert Finley" (English Audio) (0:33)
    "I Feel For You" clip (3:49)
    Brian de Palma filmography
    2 Theatrical trailers

What's worse, it was reported in Video Watchdog a while back that Criterion was trying to license the film from Fox for a SE of their own. Paul Williams recorded a commentary for Criterion that may never see the light of day.

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

What's up with the aspect ratio
    on the US dvd ?
    is it the original ?

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I worked on a recent remaster for Fox, and my memory is that we did it from the original camera negatives (I did the conform myself), all in 1.78. Technically, you'll be seeing a tiny bit more than the theatrical 1.85. Because the opticals were created from A/B negatives, you'll be seeing cleaner dissolves and stuff than has ever been seen in home video -- assuming they use the version I watched.

Actress/co-star Jessica Harper did pretty well for herself... she wound up married to one of the current heads of the studio.

Gary and Scope J like this.
  8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not sure if it's the one we worked on or not. I think it's been mastered twice in HD -- this one was done only about 18 months ago.

11. There's a UK blu-ray from Arrow and a North American one from Scream Factory.
    Some difference in the extras I believe (I don't have both...yet).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.