Audi A5 with MMI and B&O audio system (2014)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cdash99, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member Thread Starter

I've searched (hopefully well :) ) for info on the above OEM system and haven't seen this addressed.

I'm considering the above car equipped with the B&O system, which plays DVD-V, DVD-A (I think), and fake surround for radio and CD's. What I'm really curious about, though, is if anyone knows if it can play FLAC files through the SD card slots.

I have more than enough music listening options and this isn't a make-or-break consideration in buying the car - the purpose of which is to DRIVE after all. If this is doable, though, I may pay more attention to Hi-Rez digital files, since 90% of my listening occurs on the road.

Thank you in advance for your input.

2. cdash99

To update my question, if it can also play ALAC files that would be good to know. Thank you again.

3. cdash99

Resurrecting my old thread that (AHEM!) nobody replied to. :)

New question as it relates to the DVD system. I have a number of DVD-A discs that the B&O system will play the DVD-V layer from. Problem is that the system will play some of the discs and not others. When moving from one track to the next the player/laser will start skipping and not read the disc. I can put the car in park in order to regain screen access and directly program a track; that track will play fine but the skipping will restart at the next one.

I suspect that the problem lies with the DVD encoding and not the player, but was hoping that someone could shed some light as to why this happens or if they know of any workarounds.

4. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Are you using DVD-A discs you've burned from hi-rez or are these original manufactured DVD-A? I have an Acura MDX that plays DVD-A only and I have a lot of burned DVD-A discs from HDtracks downloads and needledrops all at 24-96 (the highest res it recognizes) and a while back I noticed minor skips during playback or more common the disc ending prematurely by about 30 seconds. I finally traced it back to my DVD-A authoring software, it was giving me disc errors even though the disc was burning to completion, I just didn't see the message. I upgraded at some point so I think that's what started it. Anyway, I'm still using it now (Cirlinca HDaudio Ultra 4.4) but now I make an iso file which I use Nero to burn to disc. Problem solved.

Not sure this is the problem you're having but if you're looking to burn hi-rez to DVD-A you'll probably run into this at some point. I'm interested in different car audio systems and Audi in particular as I might be buying one for my wife in the next couple of years. I know Acura has left DVD-A and their systems only play lossy formats from USB so I'll probably have to go with a hi-rez player/DAC combo like the Pono are A&K at some point in my future car purchases if the manufacturers don't see hi-rez as necessary.

5. cdash99

These are all DVD-A discs purchased, ironically, during my Acura owning days. The issue occurs mainly with those on the Warner labels but it's inconsistent. For example Chicago II skips but Chicago V plays fine. Machine Head and the Talking Heads set play fine, but Led Zep's 'How the West.." and Workingman's Dead don't.

The irony is that concert DVD's that only have a DVD-V layer play perfectly fine, so I save a few $$$ by purchasing the DVD rather than the Blu Ray.

To keep things in perspective, my question is more curiousity than anything else. This is a First World Problem and my experience with Audis has been fantastic. If you're considering one don't let this stop you. I'll take lossy surround with the occasional unplayable disc over USB/iPod/Bluetooth only any time (though I use those as well).

6. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I doubt if it will play DVD-A (just DVD-V) and I do not know if it will play FLAC on SD cards. My 2011 will not play FLACs and my impression is that the format options are limited. I suggest you try to get access to the MMI+ manual which covers this or try asking at the appropriate www.Audizine.com forum.

7. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Actually, I do a lot of Bluetooth play via Spotify just for the sheer convenience but when I play a DVD-A it's usually a great commute.

8. cdash99

To update, the system will not play FLAC or ALAC files stored on SD cards. I'm still not sure WHY some DVDs will play and others won't.

9. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Not exactly the same here, but I have a Loaded 2012 GTI (so we ARE in VAG-land) and I have the RNS 315 Dynaudio and it will only play AIFF/WAV/AAC (I'm pretty sure) and MP3. Most of my listening is with SD cards or iPhone to 384kbps MP3's.

No surround or anything, but they have done a fabulous job with this system, with only low-low bass and a little texture in the midrange missing. Highs are detailed - cymbals are fantastic. When stopped, reverbs are spacious and believable... on the move they are harder to pin down. Imaging is dead center for the driver and very solid... occasionally distracting.

I'm definitely a VW/Audi fan. The A5 is a really nice car. Hope you are enjoying it. :)

10. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

11. cdash99

The Audi is awesome, am having a great time with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.