Audible distortion on several brand new records

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike Pinkerton, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Pinkerton

Mike Pinkerton Member Thread Starter

The Mutter/Karajan/Beethoven album distorts in both channels at orchestral swells. Left/right seems a red herring.

2. Mike Pinkerton

I listened to the CD of the same recording and the loud passages are crystal clear. So either the recording used for this pressing is ****, or there' s a bigger issue.

3. Mike Pinkerton

I'm returning (for replacement) all three albums which are causing problems. Will update when I get more info.

Leonthepro and Fishoutofwater like this.
  4. Mike Pinkerton

Update:

- Decca (Mehta, Holst) replacement is much much better. No distortion despite significant swings in dynamics.
    - DG (Mutter/Karajan, Beethoven) is just as bad in exactly the same places. I think DG just messed up this pressing somehow. Very disappointed to have to return the second one and get a refund. I won't bother trying again.

I'm still waiting on the replacement for the Mutter at Yellow Lounge, though I expect it will have the same issues. Hope I'm wrong.

5. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I just brought home the new ornette Coleman rsd release and there is horrible sybilance from a cymbal throughout the record. An obvious and horrible pressing flaw, made worse by the fact that the album was cut from original tapes

6. Emilkindt

Emilkindt Active Member

Hello. I occasionally found this post, while searching on my problem: have had a bad scarfing like distortion heard in left channel like an echo from the right channel, plus there was lack of high frequency on every lp.
    I was at first sure, that these were bad worn out records. But the actual cause, which I eventually found, was my tonearm unbalanced.
    When I tuned the tonearm again, weight, antiskating etc, everything went fine - no distortion, clean sound, nice highs, wonderful separation of instruments.

Morbius likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.