Audio 101

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by teaser5, Dec 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

I am wondering if Steve or anyone can recommend a source that provides a good, coherent and fairly basic introduction to the audio world? I read a lot of stuff here that's way over my head and realize that this is for the most part an advanced course so where's a good place to get the rudiments? And please not "Audio For Dummies":sigh:

Thanks a bunch
    Norm

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

When you say the "audio world" what exactly do you mean? Recording, mixing, mastering, playback, home stereo, etc.

Let us know and we can direct you!

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Hell, I'll even take Audio For Dummys

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, seeing as you haven't written 'The Book' yet, esteemed Host of the Forum, you could begin right now--here, in little increments. And it wouldn't just help poor Norm, who has been rather tired of late, what with work, infant, wife, us...:D[see "Please Ignore" thread for recent history of T5;) ]. Every little bit helps and I, for one, can never not use a little more. What's fun is learning things you never knew there were to learn. Must be why I hang around every day, whether at home or on the road. Among other reasons...:)

ED:cool:

5. teaser5

Audio for Dummies

Specifically home stereo. For example, in a recent thread of mine regarding an Audio Research phono stage that you, Steve were kind enough to reply to, one member wrote:

See if you can audition the PH3SE in your own system before committing to a purchase. I have an early PH3 (pre-SE upgrade), and it has a fixed gain of 54dB. I'm not sure if the current PH3SE adds adjustable gain or not. If not, this will place your Exact cartridge at the edge of compatibility with a PH3SE given it's 1.75mV output. Your Exact may very well perform better with less gain. The PH3 really is geared toward medium output moving coil cartridges.

Now, this sounds like some really good advice. The problem is that frankly I only follow some of it. So where is a good place to read about things like gain, compatibility, moving coils and such? Every time I call my local audio guy with a question it seems to cost me a thousand bucks (LOL)

Thanks guys!
    Norm
    :rolleyes:

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ah, I see. An Audiophile equipment primer. There is such a thing. One of the Stereophile guys (or was it The Absolute Sound?) wrote something like what you want. I just can't think of it at the moment.

Anyone else?

7. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

Robert Harley from Stereophile. Has some useful info but nothing can replace listening to a component, tube, cable, etc. in my system.

8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I think the point is to help a beginning listener understand the terms used in audio. The Harley book is probably a good place to start--Audio Advisor carries it I think. Laura Dearborn also has a book. See the following link for a description of both.
    www.laventure.net/tourist/good_sound6.htm

John K.

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I believe the book that Harley wrote is entitled The Complete Guide to High-End Audio. I don't have my copy handy to check the exact title, but that sounds right. It's a good book and was written just a few years ago. SACD and DVD-Audio are covered, so it is fairly current.

10. teaser5

Harley book

Amazon.com has a deal for this book combined with
    Master Handbook of Acoustics by F. Alton Everest
    Anyone familiar with this one?
    I am gonna get at least one if not both of 'em.
    The Dearborn book seems to be OOP and expensive.
    I will reserve my opinion regarding Steve writing the ultimate reference, complete with accompanying reference compact disc until I check these boys out
    As always:
    You guys are the best. The wealth of knowledge, experience and interest out there never fails to impress me. Your're all invited over!
    Happy Holidays!!
    Norm

11. michael w

michael w New Member

Hi Norm,

The Dearborn book Good Sound is OOP but Amazon still lists it as being available from $19.95 used.

That's pretty good value !
    Great book, written in an easy to read style but it hasn't been updated.

Robert Harley's The Complete Guide to High-End Audio has been revised to include information on DVD-A / SACD etc. and is available new for $20.97.

That's even better value than the Dearborn book.

:)

cheers

12. teaser5

Thanks!

And welcome to the fourm Michael W!
    Best
    Norm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.