Audio Cartoons (Hanna Barbera)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Keith V, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

I found this today and was wondering if anyone either remembers these, or know any thing else about these audio versions of cartoons.
    Were they on albums before home video? Were they for radio?
    Thank you.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Sounds like the records they put out in the 60's.

3. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

ya I have about a dozen of these type of records from the 60s

[​IMG]

4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Some of these go for big money now, depending on condition. Non-animated tv shows had story albums too, it's the best you could get before home video recording took off.

I found this one irresistible... had to have it.
    [​IMG]

5. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Ya, I got lucky and picked up a whole slew of them from someone that unloaded them in a lot on eBay. I used to have them up on YouTube, but they hit one of them with a copyright claim (not sure why, I doubt anyone would buy these now) so I took them all down. Here is another.

[​IMG]

6. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

The other one I'd like to run across for under $50 would be the stereo Squiddley Diddley surf songs one, I do have a (mono) rip of it though from some blog.

[​IMG]

7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I had them. The original Colpix albums were straight drops from the cartoons with the main character giving narration and exposition. There was a Huckleberry Hound, a Yogi Bear, and Ruff and Reddy as well. Jetsons and Flintstones as well.

8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

9. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I remember having a Funky Phantom audio story album. I think it had two stories, one on each side.

10. Solitaire1

Interesting, The Jetsons features the entire voice cast of the show and the other albums feature the main voice actors used by Hanna-Barbera.

11. Solitaire1

Did a YouTube check and found this!

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

All the Colpix albums were the original cartoons and casts. The later albums on Golden and HBR were not, although they usually had a familiar voice doing the narration.

MikaelaArsenault and Keith V like this.
  13. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Just a heads up that animation expert/fan Jerry Beck(who has literally written "the book" on many a cartoon history,including the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies book with Will Friedwald)has a website devoted to 'toons,Cartoon Research. Greg Ehrbar has an ongoing feature,Animation Spin,devoted to the history of cartoons and records. I use Beck's site as a "Sunday Funnies" weekly visit and Greg, first and foremost a Disney employee and expert,finds lots of info including storyteller sets and evolving versions of the audio side of all cartoons for retail.

beccabear67 and Keith V like this.
  14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

A link?

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.