AUDIO DESK SYSTEME RECORD CLEANING MACHINE PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kdbrink, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdbrink

kdbrink Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am envious of those members who have had good experiences with the Audio Desk RCM. Here is my story:

Issue #1
    I purchased it from "The Cable Company" in PA about a year ago. My unit was DOA. The red button to activate the cleaning cycle was inoperable. I requested a replacement model to be shipped since they had my credit card info, and I'd send back the defective unit. I was told no replacement could be sent, and that I had to return the unit for service. OK...I sent it back. They replaced the switch.

Issue #2
    Every record I cleaned required manual wiping to remove numerous water drops. I tried everything I could think of, I even took the fan covers off to see if that would allow more air volume. No dice. I once again requested a replacement, and again was told that I had to send it back for repair. They told me that they had fixed it, and it worked just fine. When I received it back, they had placed some of those plastic ties, the ones you use to tie off garbage bags, behind the wipers or "lips" to increase contact. I was told that everything was operating as it should. Their remedy had no effect on the drying, I still had to wipe every record.

Issue #3
    I once again complained about the non-drying of the unit and once again requested a replacement unit and was told to ship it back as they now had a factory authorized remedy. I sent it back and the fix actually seemed to work.

Issue #4
    After receiving the unit back from the factory drying fix, I cleaned about 100 LPs, and then the wheels that grip the record and spin it and the brush barrels refused to let go at the end of the cycle. I once again requested a replacement. Their response: I could return it again for service or they would "allow" me a "generous" trade in value of $2000 for my LEMON unit towards a new "improved" one.

OK...I guess I was desperate because when this thing works it ROCKS, and I was tired of messing with an obviously defective machine. I ponied up another $2000 for a "new and improved" one.

It arrived yesterday and seemed to work as advertised...no water spotting and records clean as you can imagine.

Issue #5
    Today, after cleaning about 20 LPs, the records wouldn't rotate. I found that the rubber wheel that grips the LP and at the same time drives the cleaning brushes was spinning on its shaft.

So here I am with $6000 invested in a $4000 machine that still does not work. Of course, I am expecting to have to send it back for “repairs.” You've got to know FedEx is loving every minute of this.

BUYER BEWARE!

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Ken, can you file a dispute with your cc company? I know that's a last resort option, but these people aren't exactly coming across as eager to please.

I would definitely try calling someone there as well. Sometimes that just works better than e-mailing.

mikeyt and eddiel like this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Holy cow. Hope you get things worked out.

4. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Holy EP, Batman........$6,000 on record cleaning units? I'm curious how many Lps you own?

5. Why don't you contact the manufacturer directly? These are very expensive products and if your dealer isn't helping you out, it's worth a shot to talk to the people who made it.

eddiel likes this.
  6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Wow, that is ridiculous and totally unacceptable. I would definitely call your credit card company is you paid with your cc. If there's no recourse through them I would call the manufacturer as well. I bet they don't even know about your situation.

If it wasn't illegal for the seller to shirk their responsibility to provide you with a product that works it should be. I can't believe they suggested that you buy a new unit rather than fix the one you got properly. After you experience with The Cable Company I don't think I'll consider buying from them. I'll delete that bookmark. Talk about poor customer service.

7. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

This machine must really be effective when it works. Otherwise, I personally cannot imagine putting up with so many quirks after spending $6000 just to clean records.

Good luck to the OP, hope a resolution comes soon.

8. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

+1, either Audio Desk Systeme Glass direct or the US distributor (unless you have already have done so). The best of products occasionally produce a lemon or 2, the real test is how they respond when it happens. I've been fortunate with mine, I must have done 500+ records over the last 4-5mths and the only issue is an occasional water drop or 2 left on the record. You would hope Audio Desk don't want a reputation of poor after sales service for what is otherwise an excellent product.

9. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

It's no doubt a quirky item. I had to return mine for service once. Since then no issues. My friend had a problem and they told him one screw had to be turned a 1/8 of a revolution, it solved his issue.
    Personally I would NOT have paid the $2000 it was under warranty, my answer would have been fix it right test it for a month then send it back

10. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Wow -- there have been murmurings online of problems with early versions of this system which left me sufficiently wary that I declined the chance to buy one used as I felt there was too much at risk without having a reliable dealer and warranty. Your story really concerns me as I would assume an operation like the Cable Company would be all over a customer problem, never mind a series of recurring ones. Definitely go direct to the manufacturer if you can, this run of bad luck cannot be simply put down to inappropriate use or a need to fine tune a setting or two. That said, can you speak with someone at either the Cable Co or the company to check that there is not something adjustable at your end to solve this latest problem.

All told, this is too much of your money and time. The credit card company might help but I've found they tend to put rather restrictive limits on warranties, though the latest breakdown might be covered. I would keep the Cable Company in the loop whatever you do as you will likely have to deal with them again no matter the outcome, and I don't imagine they are finding any of this too funny either.

The more I hear of the AD system, the more I like the sound of the new alternative from KLAudio.

11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Ken- I'm sorry to hear this - I got mine a little over a month ago, and so far, zero problems of any kind.
    Question: was the unit you originally purchased a brand new unit? (If you paid full price, I would assume so, but I know that Cable Co. occassionally offers demo or refurbished units which may be older stock). I too read many of the horror stories about the earlier units and was definitely put off by them. I only bought mine recently because I had been assured by several long time owners, including those who had problematic earlier units, that the major problems with the unit had finally been sorted.
    Couple of suggestions- the top guy at Ultra Audio, which is the distributor for the AD in the States. I think his name is Robert Stein- you should double check me on this- reach out to him. I have not spoken to him, but I understand he is a good guy. Also, as others have mentioned, reach out to the manufacturer in Germany.
    The KL is apparently far simpler and has less to potentially go wrong- no spinning pads, for one. It appears to be overbuilt, to an industrial grade. I know a couple folks who have both the AD and the KL-one is a citizen, another a reviewer who is, I think, going to publish a review of the KL, if not a shoot-out.
    The description you gave of the problem history is simply unacceptable.
    One final thought- although you may know this. Even with respect to a properly operating unit, and even if the record appears to be properly seated in the slot, sometimes you have to give it a nudge to get it spinning. This is mentioned in the manual. I have had to do this on occasion- and it doesn't really bother me.

12. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Ken, so sorry to hear about this. Mine is five months old, probably cleaned 200 records, no problems, except for the occasional water spot. I bought mine new directly from the U.S. distributor.

I would contact them to see if you can somehow get a replacement unit. Robert is indeed a good guy:

http://www.ultrasystem.com/

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  13. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

I hadn't heard of this product. Glad to see some competition in this arena.

14. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Dang, sorry to hear this Ken. Every time I start to seriously consider something like this another bad report surfaces and scares me away. What's the old saying that one "oh sh!t " wipes out 10 "atta-boys"?

I like the looks of that KLaudio unit. I'm sure interested in hearing that review when it's available.

15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

One other thought~ try unplugging the power from the unit, waiting 30 seconds, and powering back up. Like a re-boot on an old MS DOS. Curious to know if that will 'reset' the program in it.

16. kdbrink

I heard back from The Cable Co. this morning and they are having me send the new unit back for inspection. At least this time they are providing me with a return shipping label. All the other times I had to pay to ship it back.

For some reason, I was under the impression that "The Cable Company" was the importer and distributor of Audio Desk. I'll try to get in touch with Ultrasystem and see what they say.

17. kdbrink

Just checked the Ultrasystem site...they are "The Cable Co."

18. kdbrink

About 4000 LPs

19. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

10 + years from my vpi 16.5 no issues, <$500 ... thousands of records cleaned

Vidiot and sberger like this.
  20. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

You forgot to mention the many man hours involved :) Cleaning a record in the AD requires 20-30seconds of my time!!
    It is very unfortunate that the OP has experienced these problems, the most concerning aspect I think is the poor after sales service from the distributor.

21. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Aside from convenience, records cleaned with the AD actually sound better than using the VPI (with 4 step Walker Prelude fluids). (I used the VPI forever and still have it). But, that doesn't justify all the problems people are reporting, which I thought had been put to rest with the more recent machines- apparently not. I have my fingers crossed with mine~ if it flunks, I may jump to the KL as well -which is still very new, and awaits the kind of 'in-field' experience (hopefully positive) that best comes, not from a review (where a reviewer only has a device for a relatively short time), but from a range of users who subject the device to the rigors of day to day, month to month use.
    I do like the concept of the DIY ones being offered semi-commercially; if someone came up with a dryer that didn't involve using vacuum lips, it would be a winner. I'm hardly a DIY kinda guy, but it seems to me, judging by how the AD works, it is simply fan drying at variable speeds on the rotisserie. If that's all there is to it (and I'm not saying it is), this doesn't seem to be a difficult feature to add to the DIY-type ones that are now being offered commercially by small 'cottage industry' types.

PS to Ken, the OP- did you try to manually re-seat the record as mentioned? This is a common issue with the AD, and not really a problem, as I mentioned above. Sometimes the record starts spinning automatically, other times you just have to give it a little push, which is normal. Also, did you try to 're-boot' the unit by disconnecting the power, waiting, and then plugging it back in?

22. kdbrink

Hi Bill
    The problem I am experiencing with the new unit is that the drive wheel has come loose from its shaft. So nothing spins when the cycle starts.

23. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Got it. Just sent you a PM.

24. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

It's not that much more on the VPI if you aren't totally OCD about it. say about a minute per LP, IMO that is all that's required unless it is really dirty. As far as the AD, for the price they are asking, they should have a great warranty and service. Also, it shouldn't have so many issues. More than a couple have been reported as far as I can tell.

Yeah maybe the AD cleans great and sounds "better." But I can't comment on that. Maybe someone can take some electron microscope pictures of LPs cleaned by various methods and post them. It's worth noting that AD also makes a "CD sound improver" product that, nevermind how CD technology works, will make CDs sound better, vocals smoother, more "air" etc. OK.

25. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

and it irreversibly alters/damages the CDs too, btw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.