Audio Desk vs Klaudio - ultrasonic record cleaners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Turnaround, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I clean out my KL Audio about every month - drain then wipe
    only problem I have is I have to use a set of pliers to get the cover loose

Monsieur Gadbois likes this.
  2. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Bill Hart suggested using lint-free wipes(cleanroom wipes) for tank cleaning so you wouldn't leave any particles behind is a great idea. Now I have to figure out how to safely remove the side panel for thorough cleaning. I wonder if using industry standard 200 proof pure alcohol to clean the tank is a good idea.

3. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

James Glennon likes this.
  4. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

It must have been something in the water around that time? The Nagaoka sleeves are nice but they are a bit difficult to handle as they are so light. I did come across similar Japanese unbranded sleeves that were a bit heavier and I liked those better. These were maybe a thicker gauge than the standard rounded types used on regular Japan vinyl LPs. One thing that you can be sure of is that you will never get a scuffed or 'hair lined' LP from one of these inner sleeves.

My first record player was a Supraphon, made in Czechoslovakia! It was terrible, looking back on it now. I can't remember what age I was when I got it. I was much happier when I graduated to a Pioneer P12D, some years later.

5. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I have noticed that my Audiodesk smells bad after sitting awhile. I clean a record or two every few days and I notice that the rollers never really dry out and I am sure that is where the smell is coming from. I have an extra set. Does anyone have a cleaning regimen for the roller brushes? I have no intention of replacing them after only a couple hundred records. I am sure they can be cleaned. Hell, I am thinking of running them through the dishwasher and then rinsing in distilled water. Maybe pulling them out of the machine to air dry. I am guessing that air doesn't get to them in the drained tank. Seems like it wouldn't be a bad idea to cycle two sets until time to replace.

6. Okonrad

Okonrad Forum Resident

I clean the rollers every 100 cleans in distilled water and the sponge ever 50. I get to a thousand records cleaned with one set of rollers this way.

7. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

Has anyone used their Audio Desk without the cleaning fluid? Is it ok to do that?

8. Have you received your KLAudio yet?

I've gotten close to pulling the trigger twice now, but spent the money on vinyl instead. Curious to hear your feedback.

9. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Yes, I took delivery on 12/8/2014. My impressions have been very positive. I have had records for years that have been unplayable due to noise and they are now fine. I posted elsewhere (Music Forum) about a U.S. copy of Hank Williams Jnr. & Friends from 1975 on MGM that I have had since the early 1980s (bought sealed) that I could not play due to noise and awful distortion on the first track. That is now gone completely and the record is fine! I have a number of records from 2003 that were part of a WEA/Rhino Germany reissue campaign that were pressed by Optimal but they were 'ticky' in spots. Randy Newman's ''12 Songs" is one of those and it plays fantastically well now, without noise at all. The same goes for REM 'Automatic for the People' and Tom Waits 'Closing Time' from that same series.

I could be citing examples all day .. literally! This unit dramatically reduces the noise floor (as noted by Myles Astor in his review) on vinyl albums and the music comes through more clearly with the individual instruments better defined. I do not wish to over emphasize the elimination of unwanted noise over the clear improvement in sound quality which is also a big plus with the Klaudio, It seems to me that these units, Klaudio and Audiodesk, will get rid of contamination on your discs that cause noise on replay. Any noise that remains, I imagine, is down to pressing faults or vinyl impurities. I cannot recommend the Klaudio highly enough. An audio buddy of mine here in Ireland now wants one!

10. Awesome. I guess I'll be a good friend and let you know that they just announced a 5 record automatic loader so you can put it on your list to Santa before Christmas. And only $2,800. Other than the price, it's pretty bad ass. They also sell a "silencer".

Klaudio's disc loader queues up to five records for automatic cleaning and drying. Each LP is lowered and raised with a motorized arm, and its status is displayed by an LED (red=dirty, green=clean). Records can be exchanged continuously, so there's no need to wait for all five discs to finish. The auto-loader will track the cleaning status and location of newly added discs.

The automatic loader installs easily onto Klaudio's KD-CLN-LP200 ultrasonic cleaner using the included thumb screw and auxiliary power cable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I saw those uber pricey accessories a week ago on the Klaudio website and smiled! Maybe if you're Bill Gates or somebody of that ilk you could add these to the basic unit but seriously you're good to go with the main unit. It's a little noisy in operation so it's probably better to locate it in an area away from your listening space. You won't be disappointed with the results, that's for sure!

12. tricka

tricka Member

Before I quit vinyl I owned both, and preferred the KLA. It was noisier than the AD, but had a better build quality and was more adjustable. Both did a great job. Can't go wrong with either, although I note the AD had, in the USA at least, some reliability issues in the early days, which tarnished the user experience.

I used to add a few drops of TTVJ Goldzyme into the water of each, which helped the process, or so I managed to convince myself.

It's the roller brushes. They need to be removed and dried if you live in a cool climate, or over the cooler months. I used to wash with a mild detergent and leave in the sun to dry. It's useful to have a couple pairs to alternate. In summer in Sydney I didn't have an issue - it gets hot enough to dry them in situ. The only issue you get is repeatedly removing the roller brushes loosens the friction fit over time. This was another reason I preferred the KLA, come to think of it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Why did you quit vinyl?

14. tricka

tricka Member

I tend to the complusive obsessive, and didn't need the anxiety. And I think that for Classical, there is nothing wrong with digital (if well mastered, as most now is), in fact in some ways digital is a superior format for classical, certainly for large scale orchestral. Opera on the other hand, is to me virtually unlistenable outside LP. I miss my (large collection) of Dame Joan on Decca; but they have gone to a good home.

Oh and I began to accept that 5k for a cartridge was "not that bad".

Tommyboy likes this.
  15. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

Hey Tricka,
    Did you use the TTVJ Goldzyme in the AD in place of their liquid?

16. tricka

tricka Member

My regime with the AD was to use 1/4 of the detergent recommended and 3-4 drops of TTVJ Goldzyme together. I found that combo worked really well. I found less was more with the detergent (someone somewhere recommended using less detergent, I tried it and it appeared to produce superior cleaning results).

Bear in mind that I cleaned a lot of old and pretty filthy records so needed the enzyme cleaner. If all you are doing are cleaning new vinyl I doubt it would assist much. Both KLA and AD mention you void the warranty if you don't follow their directions, so you may wish to heed their warnings (I never worry about little things like that).

I suppose I cleaned around 800 LP's with the AD and a similar number with the KLA.When I sold up, I had around 500 LP's still waiting to be cleaned.

The difference between cleaned LP's and dirty was incredible. I marvel that records made in some cases 65 years ago could sound so amazing with a little tlc. Vinyl is an amazing material for durability.

Ilovefooty likes this.
  17. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

News from VPI!

VPI has been asked to make an Ultrasonic Cleaning Machine but we decided to take it to the next level! We are proud to announce the new product to be shown at the 2015 International CES, the VPI Sharknado Cleaner! This cleaner knows how to sink it's teeth into some good vinyl and get everything out of the grooves! The Sharknado doesn't just challenge the competition, it eats them... no seriously it physically eats them!

[​IMG]

18. Record Genie

Record Genie Well-Known Member

Are you the same chap from Ireland who contacted me last year to ask about the Audio Desk and Klaudio machines that I use for my cleaning service Record Genie? Now that you have a Klaudio machine, if you have started your proposed cleaning service in Ireland then I would love to know how it's going? I wonder if you will have mostly local customers, or if you will see more business by mail? I clean at a couple of local stores and record shows here in the Boston area and have many repeat customers, but most of my business is by mail, as far away as California, made much more affordable by the amazing low USPS Media Mail flat rates from anywhere in the USA!

19. Finally pulling the trigger on the KLAudio tomorrow (unless I get cold feet). I've almost bought it 3 times, but each time I ended up deciding I'd rather buy more vinyl. I hate how much this costs, but I'm sure it will feel worth it after I've cleaned a few dozen noisy records.

20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It's hard to get past the $4000 asking price. I've wanted to buy one of these machines for months because I'm tired of vacuum cleaning and using other methods such as wood glue. Haven't been able to make the financial commitment yet.

Should I take the plunge, I would choose the Klaudio, based on the reviews. It's build quality seems superior to the Audio Desk. The problems that people have experienced with Audio Desk cleaner makes me very wary of purchasing it.

21. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I still waiting to see if VPI release something... I can't pay 4K for a machine.
    Im not an expert but is clear that Klaudio looks better than Audio Desk.

22. My feeling is that the AudioDesk is a "give away the razor cheap, sell 'em expensive razor blades forever" model. Except, it's not a cheap razor blade!

If it matters... I didn't pay the $4k. Paid a lot less. I won't mention where I got it in case they are strict about msrp, but don't be afraid to call around.

Tommyboy likes this.
  23. You didn't see that VPI released their Sharknado ultrasonic cleaner awhile back?

24. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Oh man, I really would love that KLAudio cleaner -- nearly pulled the plug when I saw a refurbished one on their site but it went. At $4k I just cannot pull the trigger, keep hoping one will turn up used but I've never seen one yet. The DIY variants just look too fugly for my tastes, so I guess that does mean I consume with my eyes, LOL.

25. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

There is that V-8 and the manufacturer is also offering a drying cube; if you don't mind the work the point nozzle cleaners really do a great job and a used Loricraft might be a good buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.