Audio DVD Creator

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by J. R., Jul 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder Thread Starter

Okay, don't slam me! I tried a similar program a few weeks ago and got a few posts saying that the program could not work, etc........but, this is another program. I am just sharing my opinion of a program that worked for ME, and could for others who are looking for
    something like this.

The program is called Audio DVD Creator at http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com. It sells for a decent price, $39.95 and is up to 1.6 now. You can use it for 10 days before registering and paying for it.

It allows you to put songs from a CD, or another source (MP3, etc.) and, IF YOU WANT, "upsample" them to 96khz, 24 bit. Using the upsampling, you can get about 2 hours on a DVD. I tried four DVD's using this method, and liked the method, which was pretty painless, and the results, which sounded very good to me. I did not use cool-edit pro, etc. on the finished product, so I have no idea how it does what it does. Actually, I don't care....if something sounds good to me, that is my only criteria...my own ears.

I did not use the program just for the upsampling, but because I wanted a program where I could put together an extensive compilation onto just one disc.....for example, I made a best of Renaissance DVD and one of Led Zeppelin. The finished product does sound "better" to me than the original...kind of hard to define, but it seems to have more "airiness" (if that's even a word).

The authors of the program seem to be putting a lot of work into the product....they went from 1.3 to 1.6 in a matter of weeks and are still chugging along. Also, they have a decent forum. For the price, it seems to be a pretty good program to put music onto a DVD, whether you use the "upsampling" option or not.

Bottom line: Thumps up from me.

2. BZync

BZync Senior Member

This is absolutely not meant as a slam. I don't understand how even the best copy could sound better than the source material it was copied from. Do you think you are just justifying the time (and/or cash) you invested in this by believing it sounds better. Or do you think it colors the sound in a way you find pleasing?

-BZync

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Upping the bit-depth does seem to improve the sound a tad...

4. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I just tried it the other day. Worked fine for me. I'm thinking of doing needle drops at 24/96 and using this sw to author the dvd's. This program creates a hi-res audio DVD but not DVD-Audio so therefore no multichannel support.

5. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

What we need is someone to crack DVD-Audio wide open so that a surplus of cheap players flood the market. BECAUSE I WANT TO BE ABLE TO FIT 5 HOURS OF MUSIC ON A DISC *WITHOUT* MONKEYING WITH THE SAMPLING RATE.

I mean, dear god. All I want, people, is a player that can play FLACs! Or SHNs! Or WAVs! From a disc. Data disc. Simple! Heck, if a 5-DVD-disc changer could play FLACs from a disc, think of how much lossless music you could fit on those things. But nobody's making this sort of gadget. Why? Probably licensing. Or something incredibly stupid like that. Many of these formats are *open source*. Streaming PCM--CDs, in other words--are nice, but data-on-CD would leave less room for error, thanks to the error correction of UDF and ISO, and the lossless compression would make up for the space lost by going with data instead of redbook.

...rant? Me? Ignore this.

6. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

If I recall, this program only extracts from CDs or something. You can't take a 24/96 PCM file and burn it with this program. I tried it and had problems.

This of course would be awesome to create hi-rez vinyl transfers like you stated. But, it would make way too much sense.

7. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I was able to import 24/96 wav files I made in CoolEdit with no problem. One thing I did have to make sure is that to save the files in CoolEdit at 24 bit, not the 32 bit float format. Audio DVD Creator doesn't recognize 32 bit float.

Try the demo version. Its fully functional. I burned a full dvd with just over 2 hours. I wanted to make sure there was no gaps between tracks and there isn't any! And to make sure my old Pioneer DV-525 player could read it. No problems. I plan on finding a nice DAC to hookup to the dvd player and just use the Pioneer as a transport.

8. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Why don't you use something like WAvelab to burn DVD-As, but do things at 44.1/16?

9. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

several reasons:

1- I want to capture vinyl at 24/96

2- 2 hours is more than enough for me

3- Audio DVD Creator is only $40

4- DVD-A of course I'd have to use a DVD-A player

5- Audio DVD I can use my old DVD player as a transport and use a DAC of my choosing.

6- I'm only doing mono or stereo, no interest in multichannel

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Definitely possible.

11. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Price aside, you can do DVD-As that are stereo/mono with Wavelab (or DiscWelder; they have a $99 version). I never said anything about MCH. And in the creation/parameters, you can set it to be downmix (read: Dolby Digital 2.0) compatible, so your argument, other than price, is moot. I can't speak for DiscWelder Bronze, but I would assume it has the same thing.

I am by no means doing MLP with DVD-A. I'm doing PCM captured at 96/24 in stereo. Same as you.

12. seriousfun

seriousfun Forum Resident

Most DVD players can play 24-96 (2-channel) audio from discs you can make in Wavelab or Disk Welder.

13. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Yeah, but only DVD-Audio players can play native PCM 16/44.1.

If you can author DVD-A affordably, one thing you can do is put about eight hours worth of pure CD music (which can also come from FLAC, SHN, WAV) on a single 4.3GB DVD-R (more if you can do PPCM).

What is the most affordable solution for those who want to author 'low-res' stereo-only DVD-A? Anything cheaper than Wavelab 5, for us folks who aren't looking for surround? Something that supports at least 10 groups or so?

14. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I downloaded the demo on this and couldn't get it to work. The demo has since expired and I can't reinstall it and get it to work. Any thoughts about how I can get it out of my registry and reinstall so I can actually try it out? If you don't want to post here, PM me. Not trying to steal the software, I just didn't realize I didn't have the tracks in 24 bit (and that you can adjust the bit rate in Cool Edit to anything other than 16 and 32)

I'd like to do a nice needle drop or something to see how well this thing works!

Thanks,

BOB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.