Audio expert Warren Jarrett, local dealer for Audio Note UK Ongaku Jinro using the mighty 211 tube!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Warren lives in Fullerton where he is the Orange County and Los Angeles dealer for the Audio Note, UK gear. He's been hanging out at my place bringing the Ongaku/Jinro integrated 211/VT-4C amp and AN-E-LX-HE hemp speakers to sit along side the TT-2 Deluxe turntable. It's all Audio Note this week at my house. Good times.

At any rate, here's the scoop about him, trust his ears: There are dealers and then there are dealers. I was expecting nothing and got everything when Warren came over. I mean his taste in music and his audio sense are close to mine which is good but his ability to actually HEAR differences (in wire, tubes, VTA alignment, etc.) is on expert level, which I think is rare in a high-end dealer. Not just hype but real expertise.

I'll give you one example and then I'm off to work.

When Warren was setting up the Audio Note turntable for a demo, I brought out my "torture test" disk, which is a lacquer that Kevin Gray and I made back in 1995, basically to test inner groove distortion and levels of weirdness that might happen with different brands of carts in any given turntable.

So, it is a one-sided locked groove three band 33 1/3 lacquer test cut of the most unlikelest of test pieces, Merle Haggard & The Texas Playboys doing "Cherokee Maiden" from the 1970s. It has that typical 70's country sound, no mids, very dry, dynamic, but almost lifeless studio sound. It's good but nothing to write home about, played back without mastering.

The first band on the lacquer is the song, full level, cut flat from the 30 ips Capitol analog tape. The second, I added 1/2 the mastering EQ that it needed, the third, all my mastering EQ added, turning the third track into a real nightmare for most carts to track accurately.

So, I use it to hear if a system shows the tone accurately, and how the final track is so different sounding from the first. If a system plays it back so all three tracks sound basically the same, it's a sucky system. The more changes one can hear, the more resolving the system. The more the third band sounds amazing, the better the system can reproduce it and (stands to reason) everything else one throws at it.

Of course this is all based on my personal taste in mastering in the first place but I'm usually right about stuff like this..

So, I play Warren the first track on the disk when we get my system up and running, Warren listens, I play the last track on the disk, Warren listens. I play the first track again and then the last track. Warren turns to me and (much to my surprise) accurately spits back at me what I did EQ wise on the third track. But I mean, accurately. This surprised me very much, that he could hear my little EQ changes and name the frequencies that I altered to make it a more pleasing performance (-3@125, +2@40, +1@3k, +2@8k). Now, Warren isn't an audio engineer but he does know his stuff, that's for sure. This showed me that I could trust his opinion and that his expertise was real and it also showed me that the system as we were listening back to it, was accurate and true to my original mastering of the song.

It's hard to find people like this in my life so I'm glad that Warren is around to advise! In his ears we trust.

Below is the Audio Note UK Ongaku/Jinro integrated 211/VT-4C amp that Warren brought me to play with, 18 watts a channel, new, right out of the box. Basically an Ongaku (as created by the legendary Hiroyasu Kondo but with copper instead of silver insides for a warmer sound) I have an amp that I can use my gigantic 1935 RCA Radiotron valves on, yes! And for those of you who care about such things: Pure class A operation. Zero negative feedback. Single ended output stage. 5R4WGB Valve rectification. Directly heated triode operation. For making the Jinro more to my personal liking, I'm removing the 7044 and 5814 input tubes and installing a Tung-Sol 5687 and a Mullard or Amperex "Bugle Boy" ECC82 (12AU7). The amp will need several hundred hours of bedding. audio note jinro.jpg audio note jinro three.jpg audio note jinro two.png

Here are the tubes I'm using in this beast. Only 80 years old! RCA tubes.jpg

2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

That's pretty darn impressive.

rob303 and bleachershane like this.
  3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

What do you think of the Audio Note system? :)

4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Steve is it correct to say that Audio Note SET amp is transparent enough for your reference recordings?

Those RCA tube boxes are great. You can line up four of them to recreate the world map :)

sushimaster likes this.
  5. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

That is one amp that I have been dying to hear- please give us your impressions.

6. Steve Hoffman

Just got the amp last night.
    The system (turntable, amp, speakers) was over at my business manager's house a few nights ago and I was impressed.

7. Steve Hoffman

Just got it here last night, haven't hooked it up yet. It sounded great at another house I heard it in. For $32,000.00 list (or something like that) it ought to sound great. Very sensitive to tube brands.

8. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Hey Steve,
    A great big THANK YOU for this thread. This is the kind of thing that you just don't get anywhere else, and that made me delighted to find, and be allowed to join, this forum. I have enjoyed your work for many years now, and the thrill of getting to hang with one's favorite (and I do mean FAVORITE) mastering engineer and his "Gang" never wears off for me. Enjoy your new friend Warren, and if he isn't already a member here, invite him to join that we may be able to enjoy his company as well!

:) Royce

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    Steve Hoffman likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Thanks for your thoughts!

10. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this, nice to see a ONGAKU at that price, not that the all silver transformer version wouldn't be mind blowing :)

I'll probably never be able to own one of these lovely well crafted amps, but hope to hear one, one day. The dealer down here for Audio Note is a great guy and knows his stuff too, and if I get down south i can listen to one of these even though he knows i have no way on earth of buying one.

:edthumbs: one thumb is just not enough :)

11. Steve Hoffman

This guy I know on Facebook has a contrary opinion:

George Kopsaftopoulos: Too much colored amplifier and dark sounding....gets boring after a few minutes-hours (depending on listener's live music experience).

12. Ortofun

o_O
    Steve, I can't see anything on that site, is that this one he is talking about or the all silver one?

Either way, I'm very surprised!

Edit: Maybe he means it sounds better than the live music experience :hide: :cool:

13. Steve Hoffman

Who knows? Don't know if he ever even heard one or just talking about single-ended in general. Sometimes people just spout off without actually having heard the product in question..

On FACEBOOK, everyone has an opinion (just like here!)

33na3rd and Ortofun like this.
  14. Ortofun

Ah, OK.
    Yeah, I'm the reverse of that on these amps I guess. I haven't heard one myself yet I give them praise, but only as I know guys that like aspects of reproduction that I like, and they liked these amps :)

Edit: and I like the build quality :D

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  15. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Have you bought it Steve ?

16. Steve Hoffman

No, long term loan. I don't have any speakers in house that the Jinro can drive with any authority. My loaner Audio Note AN-E-Lexus-HE speakers can but they are not set up yet. Warren will be back to do that this week..

17. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Darn it, I just slobbered over my shirt fresh from the dry cleaners.

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

A lot of money but a damn sight cheaper than the original Japanese Ongaku which cost twice as much 20 plus years ago. Not heard the current Ongaku but the TT2 with Audio Note's new arm is a surprisingly strong performer and is a bargain by AN standards.

19. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Finding people with "good" ears is very very difficult. When you do find someone who is a gifted listener, you hold on to them for dear life. They become your reality check. Buy him dinner and keep the beers cold in the fridge.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  20. moops

moops Senior Member

Hey Steve,
    When you get gear on long term loan, do you just wait until they ask for it back - and do you sometimes find a particular piece no longer floats your boat and you give it back early ?
    If you can't say for business reasons that's totally cool, just curious really .......

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  21. Steve Hoffman

If I like something enough to use it in my work, it has to be for a long-term loan. I can't switch in the middle of a project, I'll be lost. I won't accept anything unless this is understood at the start. That being said, I turn a lot of stuff away, I could be buried in it here if I accepted everything that was requested to come my way.

22. moops

moops Senior Member

Understood ......... Are you happy just to use stuff that's on loan or have you ever just said after a period, "that is awesome I'm buying one !"

23. Steve Hoffman

It's happened, of course. I wouldn't have it on long-term loan if it wasn't awesome to begin with. Life's too short.

Mad shadows, Kkfan and moops like this.
  24. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Do you have a room at home all to yourself?

25. Steve Hoffman

Two rooms, a smaller one and a bigger one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.