Audio Fidelity - Al Kooper "Super Session" 5.1 SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rck60s, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amazon is now shipping them out as well.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Picked up one today. The 5.1 mix is great.

3. redfox62

redfox62 Forum Resident

I have not a 5.1 system, so I'm interested to the stereo tracks. How do these compare to the 2003 Legacy Edition? I suppose that the SH mastering is more detailed and dynamic....But, usually, I pass over all 5.1 discs....
    Thank you.

4. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

Got mine today and just finished listening to the 5.1 mix. I thought that it was excellent, allowed me to hear the instruments clearly - and for the first time really appreciate the subtleties of the music. I've owned every version of this and I'm quite pleased with this one. I'll be listening to the other 2 layers tomorrow! I did notice a sound at the beginning of track 6 (It Takes A Lot To Laugh) that sounded like a needle being dragged across an LP -- it was only on the 5.1 and not on the other 2 layers. Does anyone else notice this, or did I just get a bad disc. Your feedback would be appreciated.

SomethingAnything likes this.
  5. DreadPikathulhu

Mine had that noise as well.

6. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

Cerebus -- Thanks for the feedback. I've emailed Audiofidelity and will post their response here.

7. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

I heard back from Audio Fidelity, and to quote their response "That is Al Kooper being interesting"

8. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

That darn Al.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  9. DreadPikathulhu

Pretty funny. I heard that bit and wondered if it was in the original mix, but hadn't yet checked it out.

10. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

Spent some time listening to this today and Al gave us another gift. Track 5 "Really" on the 5.1 layer is approximately 90 - 100 seconds longer than on the CD or 2 CH layers. I've been listening to this album since it came out and it caught me off guard, and had me wondering -- alternate take or what? After several listens I believe it it unedited and to my taste a much better track -- with all of the solos better developed and building to a natural climax. Give it a listen and see how you feel. I'll be listening to the other tracks more closely to see if there are any more surprises.

11. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I was amazed by the drums in Harvey's Tune in 5.1. I love the song but never heard them like that. Al did a great job for his first 5.1. I can't wait for BST!

Simon A, SomethingAnything and GRC like this.
  12. GRC

GRC Senior Member

I received the SACD last week - it's great. Agree - bring on BST. How about Live Adventures of Al Kooper/Mike Bloomfield - can we have a SACD of that? i want it all.......

13. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

:agree:

14. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Love the 5.1 mix. Very appropriate to the loose, spatial qualities of the jamming.

Coricama likes this.
  15. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Agreed, also great job on the stereo mastering Steve. Definitely the definitive digital edition compared to the original CD, Mastersound and remaster. Finally a stereo mastering that got it right. Very happy with these release.

RiRiIII likes this.
  16. SomethingAnything

SomethingAnything Forum Resident

Just got mine today (I'm in Oz - everything takes a bit longer to get down here). I had to laugh at that intro. It doesn't interfere with the song, does it? And adds a bit of fun just when it's needed, methinks. (But I did have to quickly rewind and make sure I really did hear that.) It's like a 2014 post modern response to a late sixties Serious Bob song. And only Al could have got away with it! Anyone else and we'd all be screaming blue murder. :)

cordobaman likes this.
  17. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Very happy to get some Blues in 5.1. I only have a few of these. Know about the upcoming BST disc and I'm very curious about what's coming next. I want to feed my OPPO 105 with some new exciting stuff.... :wave:

rd1 likes this.
  18. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Received mine today and darn it, my limited edition number is 1969. I almost won the lottery. It would have been great to have got #1968
    Now, to the music.....

SomethingAnything likes this.
  19. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Over in the AF 5.1 thread, Fredblue posted a bunch of albums that were done in 5.1 but never released by the record companies. I'd love AF to tackle a lot of albums on that list. :agree:

20. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Hey be a pal and post a link to Fredblue's post as I've searched in vain and couldn't find this list of unreleased 5.1 mixes you refer to.

21. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Two subwoofers here and the 5.1 mix sounds great to me. Perhaps a bit too much bass at the beginning of a few tracks but generally it's very good. Perhaps a lot of the bass is centered at your crossover or something. Don't know how to explain your issue. There is a slight gliche at 3:34 in Season of the Witch when playing with DSD over HDMI.

22. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

Is the new stereo mastering much better than the old Columbia CD? I think the horns sound too overdubby on that, they don't blend nicely with the rest of the instruments.

23. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Jack_Straw likes this.
  24. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

One of my favorite records of all time. I will have to get a copy of this.

25. SomethingAnything

SomethingAnything Forum Resident

I'm way up in the gods. 2944. And I thought I was quick off the mark. Who's got the lowest?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.