Audio Fidelity - Al Kooper "Super Session" 5.1 SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rck60s, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

1871 for me

2. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Nice valuable liner notes by Al Kooper make it a unique release.

3. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

Just received mine yesterday and listened last night (i have no 5.1 surround gear). The stereo on the cd layer was superb, Steve did a wonderful job. Stan94 mentioned the horn parts not blending as well with the other instruments on the old Columbia cd; i did not notice that issue at all with Steve's remastering on this cd. It all sounded nice and natural to my ears.

Also owning an original Japan SRCS cd (close to a flat transfer from source?), the Mastersound, and the Legacy remaster, the stereo cd layer of this is now my go-to. Never cared too much for the Legacy; unnecessarily juiced and goosed, never sounded as nice as either the Mastersound or the Japan SRCS. Those latter two are still very excellent cd versions, but to my ears Steve's new stereo version is an even more engaging listen than those (and that, is a Tall order to fulfill). (i did no a/b'ing, but had listened to those other two very recently)

I briefly sampled the SACD stereo layer, and it seems to play back louder than the cd layer, and not to my satisfaction (will check that again more carefully, though). I tried it with hopes that the stylus scratching noise at the beginning of track 6 would be audible, but apparently that's only so with the 5.1. mix. Have always loved Al's sense of humor.

You members who have surround sound and this sacd, i'm curious, is the scratch noise presented in 5.1 (specifically, does it arc/travel across all five speakers)? If so, i'm heading out today to buy a 5.1 setup. Don't care about hearing the music on this or other 5.1 hybrids i own in surround, but darn it, i just have to hear that scratch!

But, back to the point, as for the stereo cd layer, Steve did a fantastic job, glad that i bought this.

Bring on the BS&T!

oh, and as RiRiIII stated, wonderful liner notes from Al.

vonwegen, RiRiIII and Lucidae like this.
  4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

An amazing CD/SACD mastering job by our host. Even Al's Coltranesque contributions at Holy Majesty have less angle and try to be convenient... Mike's sweet blues can never sound less than amazing and speak to our soul, however in this case they are even more involving and irresistible. Al's organ at Season of the Witch is funkier than ever and blend so magnificently with Still's rythm patterns and/ot the horns. Invest!

5. Terry Gould

Terry Gould Forum Resident

This is now my favorite 5.1 Sacd or DVD-A mix by far. I felt the mix was done tastefully and with great imagination. It's like listening to a whole new record. The redbook and Stereo SACD versions are up to Steve's very high standards but, if you want something really new and exciting, it's the 5.1 mix. Put it on, lean your head back and close your eyes. It's like being in the recording studio (not that I would know). I have been focusing on building my iTunes collection lately but, hearing this disc makes me wish we could get this kind of audiophile quality on an Apple. On a scale of 5 stars, this is a 10. If you don't have a SACD 5.1 system, this is the reason why you should get one. This is a reference quality disc par excellance. I love the small additions of studio chatter on a couple songs and the scratchy transition from Really to It Takes a Lot to Laugh only on the 5.1 mix. ImportCDs has a good price. This is music the way nature intended.

Simon A, Clanceman, vonwegen and 2 others like this.
  6. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Well, got my copy on Sunday. I have only listened to the stereo SACD layer. As far as the 5.1 mix, I am not set up for anything but 2 channel playback, so I can not comment.

Wow! Sounds great in Stereo! I don't have this in any other format, but I am liking what I hear. Why have I never heard of this album?

7. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

Yesterday I received my SACD. I listened 5.1. mix and very like it. Ususally I have to click 10 times on my subwoofer's remote control to increase the volume of low frequencies during SACD listening. On "Super Session" SACD this volume is the same as on my DVD-Audio discs.

8. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I posted about this in the AF 5.1 thread, but this disc is amazing, the surround mix is perfecto and I love the psych panning effects that are oh-so-tastefully done. Just a beautiful recording from a fantastic era. The mix, the performers and the performances all shine. Outstanding!!

ti-triodes and RiRiIII like this.
  9. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Very good surround mix. It's weird the LFE output is so high and the overall volume is a little high as well,
    but thankfully easily adjustable.
    Good effort.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Rocky,

I just got the Super Sessions AF CD and I'm enjoying the 5.1 mix very much. I have it cranked and I don't find the that it is too loud or that the subs are too loud. This is the first time I have heard this album and I like it quite a bit :). As I mentioned earlier (I think?) could it be a setting in your system that is causing the sub(s) to be too loud? I'm listening to the 5.1 mix with a Denon 4311 with Audyssey XT32 active with Dynamic EQ on. The two Rythmik F12SE subs sound fine with just the right amount of tight accurate bass.

Bill

Simon A likes this.
  11. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I set LFE level to -20db, and then it sounds right, like the most of other albums. Overall surround is quite loud, but after adjustments sounds great.

12. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I started with the original LP and went through several different CDs. I now only have this version! Thanks Steve.
    (same applies to the 1st BS&T)

13. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

No problem with the bass on my system either. It seems like Rocky was the only one in this thread that complained about it.

14. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Got my copy this weekend, the 5.1 is so good I haven't tried the stereo side yet! The guitar on this album sounds like your sitting in the second row at a small club!

15. Eddy Baggins

Eddy Baggins Well-Known Member

#2376 for me - was hoping for 2112... ;)

Anyway, I experienced the glitch at 3:34 of SotW as well. Bummer. I do use HDMI. I wonder if, between my OPPO BDP-83 and my Pioneer VSX-70 receiver, there is a better way to go?

16. Eddy Baggins

So, I've tried messing with my receiver and Oppo a bit, to try to switch away from HDMI, if possible.
    I notice that the Oppo has a coax digital out and the receiver has a coax digital in.
    My question is, if I use the coax, which is audio only, how do I get the picture from the Oppo to the receiver? Still use the HMDI in tandem?
    I've been reading through both manuals, but I'm just not that good with this stuff and get confused.
    Will continue tracking it down either way, but any sage advice appreciated.
    Oh, the glitch is at 3:24 for me. Momentary, total drop-out of sound.

17. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Oppo offED:
    The Oppo BDP-83 has a video "Off" option for HDMI; which of course eliminates audio or allows only video [whichever makes more sense too you] sent via HDMI.
    [pg. 55 in your manual]
    You may have options on your (pre or) rec as well; like receiving analog audio & digital video from a single source.
    You'll have too work out what works best for you on your system.

Or you could go HDMI video too your display & coax audio [duh!] to your rec [having too change sources on your display if your rec can't handle outputting A/V from one unit butt 2 inputs].

Oppo is all so very helpful on the phone & i imagine thru E-Mail as well.

Good Luck & Enjoy!

18. Eddy Baggins

I think running HDMI to my projector and changing source there might be the most sane. Then I'd only have to figure out how to get the receiver to recognize the coax input.
    I believe the Oppo is always pumping a signal to the coax, but thank you for the tip about the "off" option for HDMI. I'll check that out. Thanks!

BIG ED likes this.
  19. Eddy Baggins

Running tests with
    coax connecting oppo --> rec
    composite (rca) video connecting oppo --> projector

Tried a variety of formats and releases:
    Blu-ray plays video and audio just fine - all audio selections play properly (stereo/surround)
    DVD-A - video shows properly, sound from DVD-video layer, but no sound from DVD-A layer
    SACD - no sound from SACD or CD layers

I've toggled through all the setting available in the oppo setup menu - I'm thinking there may be some setting in the receiver that only looks for SACD and DVD-A over HDMI or something?

Thanks for any insights and troubleshooting help!

BIG ED likes this.
  20. Eddy Baggins

Solved the glitch in SotW issue by switching SACD from DSD to PCM in the Oppo settings. We'll see if I continue to have other HDMI issues (notice dropouts occasionally on other formats - I'll begin to take better notes.
    I'm stuck with HDMI, for now, I'm afraid. My receiver does not have analog inputs for surround and coax/optical do not support SACD signals and severely hamper listening to DVD-A layers (downsampling to stereo and such).

21. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Got this for Christmas! It's a blessing having a brother that knows my taste!

Simon A and Eddy Baggins like this.
  22. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

No way, no analog!!
    i was pushing for digital output only playback devises in the late nineties [thought they would be cheaper & w/less need for upgrading]; butt no one listenED. :laugh:
    i guess we're finally getting there.

You'll still want too call Oppo tho; unless you know for certain the Oppo does a superior conversion of DSD too LPCM than your rec.

Yeah, "digital handshakes" are a: 'is digital really better or just has different faults' thingy.
    "DTS" stands for "DropsTheSound" [TM], so really keep an ear out for that format! :D

Enjoy.

Eddy Baggins likes this.
  23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

You may have to change the output setting in the Oppo to match the input in your receiver. Eg. Bitstream on the Oppo to digital input on the receiver.

Eddy Baggins likes this.
  24. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I finally ripped the stereo layer to FLAC and gave it a listen. What a treat! I wish all re-releases had this much time and talent put into them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.