Audio Fidelity "Bob Dylan Greatest, Vol. II" SACD set mastering complete.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Z

Joe Z Forum Resident

It's just a voice in the wilderness, but I just wanted to say "thanks" to Steve for applying care to this collection. One of the only comps that I'm aware of that Bob had a true hand in, and just wonderful sequencing and pacing.

The depths in these tracks . . . a lot was captured here.

Cheers.

IronWaffle likes this.
  2. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

Just got this in. Listening to track 1. Holy Crap this is good. Thank you Steve. I will be listening to this whole thing, sitting back, with beverage in hand :)

3. montejay

montejay Forum Resident

Amazon just delivered mine today
    Listening to sacd layer of Disc 1 all morning
    It has been a revelation
    WOWEE!

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Mine's here from Amazon. Yippee.

5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Just got mine today and finished listening. Much more detail everywhere compared to the old Columbia discs I have. All the dynamic range is still there. Dylan's voice on the old Columbia discs sounds unnatural to me compared to the AF SACD. Great job.

6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

How do the Bringing It All Back Home tracks compare to the MOFI SACD? If the Mofi sound quality is anywhere within the ballpark of the AF, then I'd be pleased.

7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The MOFI is louder and the bass is more prominent. The midrange is more real sounding on the AF.

8. Randy Goldberg

Randy Goldberg Forum Resident

The Mofi of course is from the remix just like Another Side and Blonde on Blonde.They all sound wonderful like all the Mofi Dylan SACDs.

9. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The original LP mixes were not used back in the 80s when the Dylan albums were first released (by Columbia) in the CD format, right? Are different mixes from the individual albums used for Greatest Hits, Vol 2? So, bottom line, does the Mofi have the same mixes (for like tracks) as the AF SACD?

Not covering new ground here, but appreciate the help.

10. Randy Goldberg

Randy Goldberg Forum Resident

Mofi uses the remixes for Another Side, BIABH, and BOB,. The Audio Fidelity uses the original mixes on Greatest Hits Vol. 1 and 2.

11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

And comments regarding the separation of Tomorrow and Masterpiece?

Is it true that Dylan has been added introducing Tomorrow?

12. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Dylan's intro to "Tomorrow" has indeed been included, and the applause is a little longer, and it does fade completely before "Masterpiece" starts.

babyblue, bluesbro, MLutthans and 2 others like this.
  13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Great! -but does kinda contradict the Sony edict that he wasn't allowed to make any changes.

14. slane

slane Forum Resident

Since Dylan was responsible for compiling the album, I would have thought the crossfade was his artistic choice. He sings 'Tomorrow Is A Long Time' from 1963, then it's straight into 'tomorrow' (well, 1971) with 'Masterpiece'. So isn't it a bit like splitting 'Back In The USSR' and 'Dear Prudence' on the Beatles White Album'?

Even though 'Tomorrow' now fades out completely, is there a gap before 'Masterpiece'?

Spek likes this.
  15. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, I agree.

Am just somewhat fascinated by the seeming contradiction that he (Steve) wasn't allowed to make any changes (No single disc, no mono WTRF, no studio chatter) then in actual fact not only makes one, but two distinct and significant changes.

Spek and slane like this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone.
    You think Sony's quality control will catch that?

IronWaffle likes this.
  17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Well, weren't we already told that there was a delay as Sony asked for some changes?

18. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

And the value of this as a collector's item just skyrocketed through the roof

19. Sean Murdock

It's certainly debatable. I never liked those two songs joined like that, but it was his choice.
    Yes, there's a 1 second gap between the songs. The applause ALMOST reaches its natural conclusion (where the audience actually stops clapping), and then quickly (almost too quickly) fades out.

IronWaffle and slane like this.
  20. Sean Murdock

It's the main reason I bought it...

21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Main reason I bought 3.

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

This set sounds fantastic. Steve put his attention on Bob's voice: it sounds incredibly natural, with that "in the room" effect others have mentionned.

It is really nice to have all these tracks in their original mixes, but on some I actually prefer the remixes which are cleaner. On the old mixes the use of the compressor is sometimes heavy-handed, but they sound more pleasantly analogue and in keeping with the times when they were recorded.

The stereo image on "All I Really Want To Do" is not stable, and some of the tapes might not be in the freshest condition, but otherwise it such a smooth and involving listen!

This is probably the best these tracks have ever sounded! It is astonishing. Highly recommended.

mikeyt likes this.
  23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Also I want to add that like with the other SACDs Steve has mastered, the depth of the transfer, separation in the instruments and "analogueness" of the sound is AMAZING.

24. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Which songs do you prefer the remixes?

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It would have been easy to tell you when I was listening. Possibly the Bringing It All Back Home ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.