Audio Fidelity "Bob Dylan Greatest, Vol. II" SACD set mastering complete.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

I would like to put in a request that when you are finished, you do one of those great posts describing how the sessions went. Funny stories, surprises, etc.

I think I can speak for everyone here that we love those.

ccm

supermd, vonwegen, PTgraphics and 6 others like this.
  2. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

Spek, I could be wrong but I think the difference you are hearing is just in the mastering, not the mix. Different EQ making different frequencies more prominent, different uses of compression or lack thereof, etc. I agree with you that the 2003 JWH remaster doesn't sound very good. The original CD sounds fantastic and I'm sure Steve's rendering of "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" will sound as good or, dare I say, even better. But in all cases it is the same mix, just mastered differently (and/or edited differently, as in the case of some versions of Biograph).

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  3. triple

triple Senior Member

I don't think I ever took part in a discussion of this kind, but it seems to me that Vic Anesini mastered "I Shall Be Released" as heard on the "The Best of Bob Dylan" has more bass than any other CD that I heard it on, including the original japanese GH2. It is not unpleasant, though.

4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, please; but it seems to me the original Greatest Hits Vol. II was about 77 minutes long. So, why a 2CD release? Thanks :)

5. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Pardon my ignorance, does this include "Lay Lady Lay", the U.K. version apparently didn't.

6. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

The clapping is in the center (mono) and then the instruments for the next song begin left and right (stereo). It is a great segue.

7. musicore77

musicore77 Well-Known Member

yes it does.

8. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

Could we have the full tracklisting for this album please? The reason I ask, is there seems to be some variation on previously released versions in different regions. (And there appears to be an album on Amazon with the same cover called More Greatest Hits) Thanks!

9. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

stereo only then?

10. musicore77

musicore77 Well-Known Member

Yup, that's correct.

11. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Both the original CD release and the remaster of this title were issued by Sony as double discs; it is unlikely in this case AF could do otherwise.

12. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

In a nutshell, how will this be superior/different to the recent remaster by Columbia? All original Mixes and best sound quality?

13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Oh, thanks for that. Reminds me of the Beatles' 1962-1966 on CD. It could have been a single CD but, (I gue$$) to pre$erve the integrity of the original release, EMI made it a double discs release. $ame with $ony, it $eem$

14. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Comment; WOW!:goodie:

15. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Could the Dylan have to be a double disc because it is a hybrid, unlike the Beatles red and blue, which are straight CDs? As I recall, that's why the CBS Blonde on Blonde SACD was a 2 disc set. It was priced just a bit more than a single disc SACD in the series. We will hopefully see the same restraint here.

bward likes this.
  16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The hybrid Blonde on Blonde is on two discs while all other CD releases are on a single disc.

17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Compare the Columbia CD of the first Dylan "Greatest Hits" to the Audio Fidelity CD and see what you think.

hodgo likes this.
  18. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

In Two words.........

Steve Hoffman!!!!

19. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Thanks for the hard work, Steve. I'm really looking forward to this one.

As far as release dates go, I'm hoping for at least a couple of months off. Between the Rush, Yes, and Nat King Cole CDs as well as those Who SHM-CDs I'm trying to dig up before they disappear, my checking account is taking a serious beating right now. And, as we all know, the bigger the beating on the checking account, the bigger the verbal beating from the wife. :D

20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

My suggestion, not having read each post yet, is that the first greatest hits be released on SACD. I love the AF redbook, but I'm willing to bet the a hi-res issue will sell quite well and sound even better!

Please, Steve, at least mention this to the deciders.

21. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Is this a serious question? Which "recent remasters" at all whatsoever in the past 20 years have been worthwhile with respect to sound quality? (excluding audiophile label)

22. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Well, it's just my opinion but I found all the Dylan remasters worthwhile with respect to sound quality. Oh, and don't forget the Sony Byrds remasters. I thought that hey were tremendous all around.

Anyway, back on topic....

mikeyt likes this.
  23. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve,
    Now that Audio Fidelity has announced their relationship with HD Tracks, is there a chance that your SACD mastering will be available as a high-rez PCM download?

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

No idea, sorry.

25. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks for the reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.