Audio Note M1 RIAA arrives today... let the SUT wars begin!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

That Ei tube is reportedly a copy of the Telefunken smooth plate made on purchased Telefunken equipment. They are very good tubes.

Isn't the Phillips a 6DJ8?

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

This is true. I have a very well-matched pair that I love, and have recommended them to others who have used Telefunkens, and they have reported that they find the sound similar if not the same.

raferx likes this.
  3. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes. My bad, the tube I have coming is an Amperex ECC88 (6DJ8).

4. I am guessing that you will really like the Amperex. I have replaced 6DJ8's with US made Amperex 7308 PQ's and have enjoyed great success in my Anthem (Sonic Frontiers) equipment. There may be a better 6DJ8 variant out there somewhere, but for me, I am through tube rolling for a while and am just enjoying the ride at this point. :righton: I really like the white label 7308 PQ's in my system!

Sean Sandoval likes this.
  5. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Some people believe the different vintages of the Amperex 7308's sound different, earliest being the best. Others feel they sound the same. I've had everything from White Label (Hewlitt Packards, PQ, JAN), Orange Globe and Green labels. They all sound the same to me. They are the only Amperex 6dj8 variant that I have found to last in a Phono application before going noisy. They are tough tubes that happen to sound AMAZING.

Sean Sandoval, Sailfree and raferx like this.
  6. raferx

Sorry, I'm wrong again. I've been emailing with my tube dealer regarding a bunch of tubes, so apologies.

The ones I have coming are a Dario Miniwatt gold pin (Mazda factory in France) which is the ECC88 (6DJ8) , and the Amperex I have coming is the ECC83 (12ax7) from the Heerleen, Holland factory.

7. raferx

Yeah, a lot of positive reviews on the Ei Yugo pre-war NOS ECC83... some great info on several tubes HERE.

rob303 likes this.
  8. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Nice. I’m holding out for some Siemens silver plates. I'm tempted by these Mazda silver plates. I think I could get a bit more top end extension, but I might not like it when I got it.

9. Pomodori

Pomodori Well-Known Member

Hi Raferx, you mentioned that The A23 is sensitive to placement. Can you elaborate? Where would you recommend placing the A23? I had it tucked behind my PS but thought some of the midrange voices sounded harsh, flat, hollow, etc.

10. raferx

I've never heard a harsh, flat or hollow note from the A23 with anything.
    There was transformer hum if I had it too close to the PS of either my amplifier or pre-amp.
    I've got set up as far as I can from anything and still have it grounded to my phono stage.
    It's at the bottom.

[​IMG]

11. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Sweet pic!

Long Live Analog and raferx like this.
  12. raferx

Thanks buddy!

13. Pomodori

Ok, just wondering if you experienced the same. I've written Keith at Auditorium to hear his thoughts; so hopefully he'll get back to me. It may be any number of other issues. I've also thought of upgrading to the M30.1, so I've enjoyed reading your posts. My system: P3ESR, a Thorens TD 160 Super (refurbished by Dave at Vinyl Nirvana), Jelco arm with 18g head shell and shim, Leben Phono Stage with the A23 step up of course, and Leben 300xs with Philips NOS EL84s.

raferx likes this.
  14. Pomodori

I like how you've isolated the A23. Looks like you may have already, but I would definitely try a spacer or shim with your rega tone arm. On the high end, I think the DL-103 benefits from a less rigid tone arm in addition to the added mass.

raferx likes this.
  15. raferx

Yup! Can't comment about the "less rigid tonearm" because I've only heard the 103 on a Rega arm. But I can tell you the highs are sweet.

16. raferx

Sounds like an absolutely gorgeous and musical system you've put together my friend.
    PIX!!!!

17. Pomodori

[​IMG]

18. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Looks lovely. If those are Leben valves tucked in, you might give them a little more air.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    raferx likes this.
  19. raferx

Looks fab indeed! Does the amp get overly-hot in there? My Audio Note gets quite hot above the power-tube cluster.

20. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I see you have your speakers pretty close together. How is that working? Smaller soundstage, less early reflection I would guess. Do you feel like you have finalized the position?

21. raferx

That was just when I had the SHL-5 Plus there too, they sounded pretty good positioned like that though. Deeper soundstage, but not enough air around the instruments. Too tight down the middle. I've got them about eight feet apart and around 30" out from the rear wall right now. Sounding brilliant.

jupiterboy likes this.
  22. Pomodori

Thanks. The integrated amp has venting holes in the cabinet, with some fans... a bit unorthodox, but keeps the amp cool. See pics. [​IMG]

23. raferx

That is awesome!

Rolltide and Pomodori like this.
  24. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Pomodori, what are the dimensions of your room?

25. Pomodori

Thanks; Leben says they recommend 10cm above the amp; but the aesthetic just isn't there, so I figure you vent/fan the cabinets or you go open-air like you did, which is of course the optimal way to go. My room is big and although Alan Shaw says the P3ESR is suitable for small and large rooms, I've got to believe that the M30.1 would disappear (sound-wise) in the room a bit more easily. The other thing I'm toying with is going the Devore route with a more sensitive/efficient speaker, but I'm afraid I'll miss the Harbeth voice/mid range sweetness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.