Audio Note Oto SE inbuilt phono stage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Shiver, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking out for a used Oto SE and wondering if it's worth going for the phono version. Current phono stage is the AN RIAA-Zero (mk 1 with half-width aluminum casing) which I really like - does anyone know how they would compare?

Or has anyone tried the inbuilt Oto stage against anything else in particular?

A single box appeals but wouldn't want it to be a notable downgrade etc.

Thanks!

Seafinch likes this.
  2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The Oto Phono SE seems to use the same board as the M1 Phono, a step up from the RIAA Zero. It uses a 6DJ8 and 12AX7 tube vs. the subminiature tubes in the Zero. I haven't heard the Zero, but I do own an Oto Phono SE and can say the phono stage is very nice, I expect you'd both consider it an upgrade and take a box and pair of cables out of your system.

Shiver and Seafinch like this.
  3. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Well I would agree with roltide provided you can sell the RIAA Zero - selling that would help you put the money to the OTO Phono SE. If you can't sell it as it is a bit of a niche product then the line OTO is fine. I think the Second hand Phono SE goes for a fair chunk more than the non SE version but you know it all depends on the seller and how knowledgeable they are on what they have.

Have you considered an M1 preamp second hand with the P1SE power amp. It's the same thing as the OTO only better. You might find both of these in your price range. More boxes but an option for easy upgrades later - the OTO has no preamp outs or ins. 5 years later you can upgrade from M1 to M3 etc and still keep the P1SE.

Shiver and Seafinch like this.
  4. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks chaps.

Appreciate the better phono board thing. The phono Oto sells, new, for £400 more than the line, and the R-Zero II (updated model obviously but still using subminiature tubes) retails somewhere over £1,100. Another consideration is the perceived downsides of internal phono stages is the lack of an otherwise separate power supply and isolation - whatever you make of that. So, it didn't seem all that clear cut.

Still, from reading further around the onboard phono stage seems more than good enough and likely better than the one I've got.

Rolltide - are you using the Oto stage or the Leben in your profile? Been able to compare them?

Hadn't considered the separate pre/power Richard. Gut feeling is I'd prefer to stick with one box (and I can't imagine a further upgrade in the foreseeable), but I'll look in to it.

5. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

There are pros and cons to most separates but with Audio Note it's a different animal - Virtually all their amps are separates first - then they basically put the separates in one box and share a power supply to save some money. Most companies don't do that - their integrated is designed as a integrated to meet a price point.

One box solutions offer the advantage of a shorter signal path and saving you money both on the amplifier (or one box CD player) and not having to buy the IC. Theoretically less chance of noise.

The separates have the advantage of the extra power supply and also theoretically less chance of noise (since the amps are further away from each other) so go figure.

Shiver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.