Audio Note Silver Speaker Wire Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Raylinds, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

I am considering using AN silver speaker cable in my newly upgraded system. Is anyone familiar with the differences between the SPa and the SPe cable sound-wise? I would theink the heavier gauge SPe would be preferable, but it is twice as much as the SPa, so wanted to get some input.

Please don't threadcrap the speaker cable doesn't make a difference. Thanks

2. triple

triple Senior Member

I feel that red curtain needs upgrading first... ;)

Raylinds likes this.
  3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

(Might mention how long the runs will be.)

Raylinds likes this.
  4. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Raylinds,

I don't know about the two specific AN cables that you are looking at, but, I do have some experience with their silver speaker cables and Audionote upgrades, in general. First, I can see why you would be interested in AN cables because you are in the process of going with an AN chain of electronics. The first step would be deciding between their higher end copper cables vs. silver cables. The Lexus line of copper cables is extremely lush sounding and IS very good, if that is the sound you are seeking. If you are looking for a more open and extended top end, at the expense of some of that upper bass, lower midrange warmth, the silver cables are the way to go. AN silver cables deliver an extended top end without becoming shrill and thin sounding like some other silver cables may sound if put into the wrong system.

As to the issue of how far up the silver line you should go, that is hard to say. I can only generally note that AN entry level products are usually quite a bargain--great sound at reasonable prices. As you go up the line, the law of diminishing returns come into play. At the very top levels, the price becomes VERY high for relatively small increments of improvement. There is no way for someone else to make the call as to when that increment of improvement is too small to justify the price increase. Is there a way for you to borrow both cables from a dealer? The AN dealer in my area frequently lends out different cables for audition. I actually got to try my AN Sogon speaker cables before making the purchase.

raferx, Raylinds and james like this.
  5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Have you tried adjusting your speaker positioning first?

6. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I think that the simple way - with all audio gear - to determine if a replacement component (e..g., new cables) will make an audible improvement is to arrange an audition over at least a day of private listening so that you can compare the prospective replacement cables with your exiting ones.

Raylinds and Brother_Rael like this.
  7. Raylinds

Very good point as that would effect what gauge wire is best. Right now one speaker is about ten feet from the amps and the other is about a foot. Of course, I will want to make both cable the same length. Since I am using monoblocks, I am thinking of moving the one monoblock closer to the far speaker, but then it will requiring longer interconnects, so either way, I will have to pay (I will be looking to upgrade to AN interconnects in the future). If I end up going with a ten foot run, the heavier gauge would probably be the way to go.

8. Raylinds

Great food for thought. Right now there is plenty of top end, so maybe the Lexus is a a good alternative. Since I have only about 6 hours, I should really give the speakers a lot more time to break in before deciding- I understand the sound of the AN-E speakers will change a lot during break in.

I understand the Sogon cables are simply amazing. If I move the one monoblock close to the one speaker so they are both about a meter from the speakers, that could be an option, as well. Again I need to give the speakers proper break in before doing anything.

9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Makes sense. Might make sense to put the stronger signal coming from the amp through the longer wire as well.

10. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I would upgrade your speakers before upgrading the cable.

11. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

So he just finished building a set of speakers, thus his consideration of cable.

12. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Sorry, I got my info from his profile

13. Raylinds

My bad- I neglected to update my profile! Will do that today.

Linto and Metralla like this.
  14. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I can't help with your specific question, but, in my experience, long interconnects (especially balanced) and short speaker cables is the way to go. I bi-wire my speakers with short runs of silver Kimber KS 3038, but run long (relatively speaking, the cables are probably 8' or so) balanced interconnects (actually Cardas microphone cable) between Pre. and mono-blocks.

??

That would be very worrying. I don't know this speaker, but have had to get lots of new speakers ready for recording, monitoring or demonstration over the years, including a large number of B&W 800-series speakers. The characteristics should all be there out of the box, with some slight improvement as the cone surrounds loosen up after some hours of continuous use.

Agitater and timind like this.
  15. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Ray

There have been several good suggestions here. First off, I would run the speakers and amp for about 200-300 hours before upgrading the speaker cable. Secondly, I would run longer interconnects and shorter speaker cables. That way you can splash out for superior speaker cables without spending so much.

You will have to buy a longer pair of interconnects, but the AN-Vx seem to come up used now and then. Also, try to find a dealer who will loan you some speaker cables to try.

I was lent a pair of SPx cables that were used and I was very impressed with them. I find them to be a very nice step up from the copper Lexus, but you will want to try this out for yourself. I ended up buying the SPx cables. My local dealer isn't a fan of the SPa, but is of the SPe and above. He also loves the Lexus copper cables.

Raylinds and raferx like this.
  16. Raylinds

I'm not planning on doing anything before early next year at which time I will look at cables and tube rolling. But I want to let things settle down and break in. Plus, I need to restock the savings account. And January is bonus time!

17. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Already decided on which cables you will spent your bonus ;-)

18. Don Parkhurst

Hey! I'm good at that too! What else should we get Ray to buy?

BettisDad and jomo48 like this.
  19. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

How about a AN DAC or pre-order for the new AN TT-3?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Don Parkhurst likes this.
  20. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Just bought myself a nice AN-VX interconmect yesterday, even without a bonus.

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  21. Don Parkhurst

Nice! I have one of those as well and I quite like it. My new TT-2 Deluxe is coming with an Arm 3 with AN-Vx cabling.

22. Raylinds

LOL! An AN DAC is definitely in my future, but not the immediate one. I absolutely love my VPI Aries 3 TT, but all of this talk about the TT3 makes it tempting.

This forum is very dangerous to my bank account!

23. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

No pressure ;)

Finally got my main system complete with AN-Vx but currently no room to set it up properly, so I'm enjoying all the stuff you guys are buying...

Luckily my headphone rig is working however so I can still enjoy some music as well.

Your speakers fully broken in yet?

24. Raylinds

I have been playing a lot of music so they have a couple hundred hours on them and the bass has gotten much, much better than when I first hooked them up.

25. Don Parkhurst

If they are like the factory models, they will get better and better up to about 500 or 600 hours. The changes will be smaller of course. Mine are getting more cohesive as they age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.