Audio Note TT2 Deluxe turntable with outboard power supply and IQ 3 cart MM.. Sounds sweet so far..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Amperex 7308? White, orange or green? :wave:

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The JAN version, one green, one white, same internal structure. I tried my Dutch Bugle Boy 6DJ8 in that phono position but typical of all Bugle Boys, a bit too "lively".

3. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

That Amperex is a great tube - from one end of the range to the other it just sounds musical. :cool: They also kept the production consistency going over a long stretch of time.

As for the Bugle Boy 6DJ8, you might see if the "A" frame version is a little less zippy up top. They haven't exploded in price, and show up relabelled as well.

4. Steve Hoffman

Problem is, in the CAT (the only machine in my house that uses the 6922) the line stage can't use any Amperexes, too noisy and way, way, way too microphonic. They do seem to work in the phono section for the most part... So, I have enough to last for the CAT, don't need to buy any more at this stage.. Too much now, anyway. Remember when they were 15 bucks each, NOS? Those daze am gone, brother.

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I got in too late for inexpensive 7308s - 200 and up for a pair is about as low as they go now. :cry: My small stash was bought about 10 years ago, and they're now about depleted. You have to pony up more for closely screened/low micro phonic pieces. There's always the elusive pinched waist Amperex 6922 - makes those 7308s seem like a bargain.

6. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

Nice to see you finally got a "sprung" deck, Steve. As I have been saying for years, when you look at the pricing of the modern suspended subchassis tables, the value in the restored vintage ones (AR & Thorens) becomes crystal clear.

7. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

That is one beautiful, elegant table. Most people would miss the solid engineering behind it.

8. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Audio Note always have the BEST sound at any show.

One of the 2 or 3 audio companies you can rely on to always sound good.
    Their cd players are very smooth and should be popular here.

Steve, try one of their DACs.:)

9. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I've had the opposite experience. I've heard Audio Note rooms that sounded absolutely amazing, and I've heard them sound completely lousy. That's because Audio Note equipment, especially the speakers, need a very specific set-up to sound their best, and hotel rooms don't always provide those conditions. AN/E speakers, for instance, need a room with very specific proportions to sound their best.

For the biggest impact, I think Steve needs to check out one of their step-up transformers. I think they make the finest SUTs in the world.

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

action pact likes this.
  11. That explaines my encounter with A.N. at T.H.E. SHOW last year. I was running out of the room holding my ears! It was like finding out there was no Santa Claus.

12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Mine's a '63 or '64 AR-TX, with a bunch of mods hidden under the hood. A very solid, unassuming example of excellent engineering.

[​IMG]

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I mentioned this in another thread but I also picked up one of those awesome and beautiful vintage Denon tables a few months ago at a Goodwill of all places. They had just put it out and it was in the box. They kept it by the registers so no one would fool with it and it was beautifully packed, and they even tightened the shipping screws. They let me take it out of the box and it had a Shure Type IV cartridge mounted! I put my own in, a much better cart, and I just love the table. Was $249, which though a bargain IMO for that table in beautiful condition, that is a fortune to pay for anything at Goodwill! One reason I got it was you said you liked yours so much. I replaced my Technics MK1200.

14. Steve Hoffman

So you like the sound? Pics?

15. LeeH

LeeH Active Member

Always been a fan of AN stuff and do like their Turntables, arms and carts, very musical pieces of kit

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I love the sound and the look....had never seen one before except photos, and I just always thought it was a great looking table. Didn't really know how it was regarded as far as sound quality, but it seemed so well built I figured it probably was at least as good as the Technics 1200 MKII I had just bought right before Technics closed. I was about to get something brand new and just lucked into it while at Goodwill. I will try and upload some photos....I hate to think this but I suspect it belonged to an audiophile who passed on and it was donated by the grieving widow....but who knows! I can't imagine the actual owner would take such good care of it and then just give it away, but on the other hand it was carefully packed. I'm glad I ran into it....they had just put it out. So glad I am back into vinyl....so fun!

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  17. Bart1

Bart1 Forum Resident

I have an EB-101 modded and rebuilt by George Merrill. Nice unit.

[​IMG]

The AN table looks fantastic. How many other suspended tables are still being made out there?

timztunz and 33na3rd like this.
  18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Very nice indeed!

19. Steve Hoffman

Probably a bunch, but really, no idea.

20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Pretty table. Some new tables are suspended, but not necessarily with springs. They can use magnets or elastic type materials. I think most of the upper Sota line is spring suspended, but their top of the line uses a "hanging four-point balanced-mass visco-elastic suspension system".

SME's top model has a suspension that "now provides 60 purpose moulded ‘O’ rings supporting the sub-chassis, which has been increased in thickness by some 16%, on one hundred and twenty strands of rubber."

The Linns are suspended right?

My VPI is the old HW-19 with spring suspension, but I don't think any of their current models are suspended.

21. CarterB

CarterB Well-Known Member

Why did spring suspension fall out of favor?

22. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It could be the maintenance required. Springs have to be adjusted and even replaced once in a while.

23. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

That's one nice thing about the Michell turntable, you can adjust the springs from the top of the table.

24. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Sweet! I have Merrill mods on my AR ES-1 table, plus I replaced the stock tonearm.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Turntable manufacturers started using the brute force method instead to eliminate extraneous vibration transmission and resonances, i.e. by using massive weight. This may have solved some other design problems as well, but it definitely makes things more expensive and harder to move around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.