Audio Note TT2 Deluxe turntable with outboard power supply and IQ 3 cart MM.. Sounds sweet so far..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bart1

Bart1 Forum Resident

Yes, George put a Jelco on mine, as well as a grado cart.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

AN Compare1h.jpg The Audio Note M2 RIAA phono section is very nice and modestly (for AN) priced. Very nice sound with the TT-2 "Deluxe" and the M2 RIAA going into the AN Jinro integrated.

The M2 RIAA is tube rectified and so far, breaking in nicely.

3. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I have its relation, the TT1. Running an Ortofon Rondo Blue MC Cart on an Origin Live Silver MK-III Arm

I'm very happy with mine :)

4. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

What gorgeous wood/finish; how great would it be to have along with matching AN-Js or -Es!

5. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Now that you have been using the Audio Note TT-2 and the VPI Classic 2 for a while, can you tell us what you feel the differences are and what the strengths are of each, Steve?

6. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

7. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

That's a beauty too!

8. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

The one part of the AN line I have never experienced, or even seen in person, are their TTs, arms and carts. I would love to hear them some day.

9. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I loved my AN TT2/Arm3/IQ3 - had to sell it when I moved from Canada to Hong Kong because of the frequency and voltage difference. It was going to be too difficult to get it changed over.

If you can try and get their new Arm 1,2 or 3 tone arms - the one in the photo appears to be the AN rewired Rega 250. Their new arms are apparently outstanding for sane money

[​IMG]

Andy Saunders likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Never compared the two, sorry.

The AN table is now with the AN M6 RIAA phono stage and sounds great. About to be upgraded with the AN MC cart and AN-S4L step up transformer..

11. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I mentioned this in your other thread, but I would like to get your and Warrens impressions of the AN IoI/AN-S4L combo.

That may be in my future. Down the road....

12. Richard Austen

I am buying the AN TT2 next week but BEFORE I do - does anyone know if the older TT2 can be upgraded to the new TT2 in terms of the external power supply. The TT2 I am buying is a bit older (Dealer Demo without the new fancier plynth) but it will come with the new Arm 1V2 and IQ1 cartridge (though I believe they have an upper cartridge -either IQ2 or 3 that I can opt for). In the short run the sound quality of the better cart will probably be immaterial as I am currently stuck with a 20 year old Radio Shack (The Little Rat) phono stage that is driven off of a 9V battery until I can find a satisfactory phono stage. (Ahem Audio Note M3 phono is the front runner - I liked a Melody preamp too but it has no phono stage).

It's a holiday here otherwise I'd bother the dealer. I am pretty sure the motor can be added down the line but just want a confirmation.

Cheers,

13. finn

finn Forum Resident

The turntable can be rebuilt in Austria to upgrade to the deluxe status but the cost would be high and not sound as good as the current model which uses the Russian birch ply as used in the factory speakers as distinct to the older models construction. There are early TT2 Turntables from about 2 years ago and still current using the birch ply as well so really depends on how old the demo model is as to its specific construct.

14. Richard Austen

Thanks Finn - I've been second guessing it a little. The table I believe has been sitting on their shelf since I've moved to Hong Kong 4 years ago and it could have been there years before that. As you know dealers have a demo model in order for you to 'order' one. My issue is it's still fairly expensive for me and the dealer admits that it's a tough sell in Asia based on the color and look.

I could go with the Roksan Radius 5.2 with arm and with Cart for a few hundred less. Because of the Aesthetic it may be easier to sell when it's time to upgrade. Or I could buy the AN arm and cart and stick it on a cheaper deck and place an order for the new model. Blast... many options

15. finn

finn Forum Resident

The AN will be a better sounding turntable even without the external power supply and the resale will still be considerably better. you could even consider the ARM 2 or ARM 3 as when you resell you could put a basic Rega on and keep the better arm for the Deluxe with the external or the new TT3 Deluxe when it becomes more available.

16. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Unlike some above, I thought the Audio Note TT was based on the Voyd. I heard this several times at shows in the 90s, sounded fantastic.

17. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

It is the Audio Note TT-3 turntables that utilize technology from Voyd, most notably 3 carefully matched motors.

The Audio Note TT-1 turntables are based on the SystemDek IIx, incorporating many significant improvements, such as acrylic platter (instead of glass) and upgraded suspension, motor and bearings.

The Audio Note TT-2 Standard and Deluxe, both of which Steve has, use a combination of both Voyd's and SystemDek's technologies. They incorporate the Voyd concept of multiple matched motors to equalize the belt load on the bearing, applied as 2 motors exactly opposite each other (with respect to the platter). This reduces friction and benefits speed stability.

18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

19. Richard Austen

Finn this is some good advice - I sold my old TT2 in Canada for more than I paid - people who want them may not want to wait a year to get one and so they're willing to pay more. And you are right about the arm - I wish now that I had kept my arm 3 and IQ3 and sold the TT2 with something cheaper. It didn't even occur to me to do that!

I do like the sound of the Roksan - but they were playing them on Roksan speakers which are bass light compared to the E - or K for that matter so it is a bit tough to determine the overall frequency range - the Nima arm is apparently difficult to set-up from what I have read. So I think I will stick with the TT2. I will ask about the Arm 3 and IQ3 though but I think he only has the Arm 1. The arms though I believe are the same but the wiring is different so at least with the Arm 1 it can be rewired and I am pretty sure this dealer here is a full function retailer (can do mods/repairs etc) - though I will ask.

20. finn

finn Forum Resident

The ARM3 is worth the differential. Capable of taking the IO cartridges with the heavier counterweight and sounding exceptionally good.

21. Richard Austen

I auditioned again today and do Like the Roksan tables and both their arms. But I'm going with the TT2. It is a static model not a demo. It has the cover. Once they pulled it from the not well lit shelf it looks quite nice.

He only has the arm 1 and IQ 1 in stock. This is fine because it is considerably less expensive and the money saved can be put into my SUT/IO cart fund. It also means I can afford the M3 Pono sooner. And the Empress Monoblocks will replace my LM 219IA down the road I suspect.

There is a new three motor table coming and so the TT2 can hold the fort down until then. The Voyd/old TT3 was the best sound I have heard from vinyl back in the day.

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Loved the Voyd but when AN rebranded it the price became way too much. The TT2 is a fine sounding TT at a fraction of the costly current TT3.

23. finn

finn Forum Resident

The TT2 is a very good sounding turntable and even better with the external power supply but the current production TT3 Reference and 3.05 Reference are in a completely different league for lots of different reasons. You don't end up with a 30kg power supply for the motors in the .05 Reference without a good reason. It's a shame they are not more widely available to audition as I'm sure a lot of people would be very surprised to hear what they actually sound like.

24. Richard Austen

I've heard the TT3 - it's in a completely different class and so are the people fortunate enough to be able to afford one. But at least with AN when you pay more you can hear what you are paying more for. Fortunately the entry level zero series is significantly better than your average bear at the price. Saying the M6 is better than the M3 - is like saying your mother is a woman. The poor man's TT3 is what many of us are hoping for. Poorer than a half ref too though :)

25. Steve Hoffman

Looking forward to hearing the new AN table..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.