Audio Note UK AN-E speakers, from cheapest to most expensive. A handy chart, UPDATED 7/21...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 28, 2018.

1. marka

marka Forum Resident

Since you mentioned it... Steve’s pair that is not in the corners is more than “good”. It’s incredible. And I was there when one long-time audiophile described the sound as the best they had *ever* heard.

Don Parkhurst and Subagent like this.
  2. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

yes you were and yes it was!

Don Parkhurst, Seafinch and marka like this.
  3. marka

marka Forum Resident

A-ha! Speaking of the devil. Welcome to the forum!

4. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

thanks! everyone is really great.

marka likes this.
  5. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

You had me at Hemp

6. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I was just going to say that!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. marka

marka Forum Resident

You just haven’t met the ones that the Gorts keep locked up in the dungeon!

scobb likes this.
  8. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Threadpoo alert and apology: does anyone know if the AX1 model* is still being made by AN ...? Looks like a fun little speaker, aimed at us in tiny rooms or desktop situations.

*AN's reworking of the Rogers LS1 ...?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  9. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

The AX One and Two appear to be made in batches. Tough to get them. One fellow on another forum was trying to get a pair for ages and then the dealer suddenly got a bunch of them and they all sold right away.

My dealer in Hong Kong told me I could get a pair but only in black or white. Personally, I would rather the options be beach and cherry but perhaps right now that is the only two available.

You can always ask a dealer what is available and how much they run. From my readings the AX Two is the one to get.

bhazen likes this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Thanks Richard!

11. kessi

kessi Forum Resident

AN also makes modifications outside the current models. For example I ordered my AN-E Spe HE speakers with internal Spx wiring :D

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  12. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Great to see so much Audio Note love here, since signing up a few days ago mostly what I seem to do is reply to dormant AN threads! AN-J/lx owner here I feel like the J's get short shrift sometimes in that everyone automatically goes for the Es. The E is a great speaker but so is the J and the J works better in my small room not in the corner. LX as Vu at Deja Vu told me he found Spe too bright and Spx great but way above my budget. Single wired with AN Lexus speaker cables the earlier 80 strand version.

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

There's really a Vu?

14. jonwoody

Yes Vu Hoang the owner of Deja Vu audio and the best ears I have ever met. He diagnosed a short in one of my interconnects from my description over the phone to him. A very cool guy and great store I feel lucky to live nearby.

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Wasn't sure, thanks. Lucky to be near you.

16. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Indeed. Vu sold me my first good system way back when he was working out of that little house in downtown Mclean (Jolida 102b and Soliloquy 5.0s w/stands). I've never regretted anything I got from him, and often regretted that which I didn't!

jonwoody likes this.
  17. jonwoody

Nice! I got my amp from Vu, one of Pavel's builds, after taking amps in to him for repair over the years and realizing the amp he kept loaning me always sounded better. Currently saving up to buy a rebuilt Thorens TD124 from him next year.

Salectric and Subagent like this.
  18. Westerwick

Westerwick Forum Resident

Interesting to read all your comments about the AN E , I am considering auditioning a pair, I have read so many positive reviews. I have lived happily with my Shahinian Arcs for twenty years so maybe it’s time for a change !

19. james

james Summon The Queen

I really need to make it to Deja Vu.

Do you have a photo of the J's in you room? I have Snell J's also not in corners.

John Landreth likes this.
  20. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

AN-E/LX Hemp was the gateway drug for me. Got them about a year ago and since then I’ve added an M2 Phono and just ordered a pair of Quest monoblocks. Also about to pick up an AN-S2 step up transformer.

james likes this.
  21. james

james Summon The Queen

I don't believe AN does grills on their speakers, correct? It's my first requirement in any speaker purchase. I don't understand why a manufacturer wouldn't protect such fragile items like drivers.

22. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Correct. There are companies who will do custom grills though, if you really need them. I actually think a single round grill would look cool on AN speakers, but I haven’t checked if you can size it to cover both the tweeter and woofer without exceeding the width of the cabinet.

Speaker Grills - Steel, Aluminium, Round, Square, Rectangular, Customs Sizes

23. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Any chance we could MSRP amounts included?

Or a range so us commoners can get an idea of where our respective pain points are?

John Landreth likes this.
  24. jonwoody

I posted this in the system pics thread but not sure how to link that so will just post it again here, the J's in my tiny room.

[​IMG]

howiebrou, Dai, NOS300B and 7 others like this.
  25. james

james Summon The Queen

appreciated!

souladdikt likes this.