Audio Note UK AN-E speakers, from cheapest to most expensive. A handy chart, UPDATED 7/21...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 28, 2018.

1. gardsy

gardsy Active Member

What is veneer is that thanks?

2. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Olive wood veneer worth the 12 week wait! :)

3. gardsy

gardsy Active Member

Very nice, one of the better photos displaying the AN quality finish.

4. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Hi Jon, nice to see you over here at SHTV! Great photo of your room, those are beautiful speakers. Makes me want to hear a pair. I also like how you have your CDs stored, with the Stones' Made In The Shade showing prominently in front. I love that comp! :righton:

5. jonwoody

Hey Matt cheers it's great to be here and thank you! And those CDs are stored but never played lol all ripped and streaming these days.

6. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

What is that box? It's making me crazy trying to figure out what it's for. Is that a barrister's wig box up on the shelf?

Dai likes this.
  7. jonwoody

I assume you're talking about the curved black box above my Dac? If so that is a one off holiday display box Champagne Veuve Clicquot did some years ago for it's tete de cuvee LA Grand Dame. The box was designed by Riva a company that builds luxury yachts. As far as what's inside mostly tubes and a few other small audio related nicknacks.

Socalguy and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Sorry-- didn't mean to pry about the contents (even though, you know, I asked what was in the box). It's just such a cool looking thing, I couldn't imagine what it might have been made to contain. Really nice champagne sounds about right! Riva has also produced some nifty watchboxes and model boats to match for Frederique Constant, or Hamilton, or one of those brands. Geniuses with promotional merch!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. jonwoody

Ha all good and I wish I had enjoyed the Champagne alas I only got the box. :p I, and my girlfriend, are both in the wine biz so stuff like that comes our way on occasion. And Riva did such a good job with that box I had to display it! Without a doubt that box is the closest I will come to owning a yacht. :D

SandAndGlass and Subagent like this.
  10. david lai

david lai Active Member

I bought a used AN-J SE Silver. Supposedly a “level 4” product. It’s obviously not a SEC so does anyone here know the exact specs?

james likes this.
  11. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

david lai likes this.
  12. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Beyond the specs which are the same across the levels for your J-SE is

1” tweeter & 8” standard Hemp bass driver with copper voice coils, 93.5 dB efficient, AN-SPx internal Silver cable, internal crossover, Silver inductors, Birch ply cabinet, real wood veneers.

The older ones used paper woofers.

david lai likes this.
  13. jonwoody

You can still get paper woofers I got them after my dealer recommended them over the hemp woofers.

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

No no no no no. What dealer was this so I can avoid?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. jonwoody

It was Deja Vu Audio and Vu said he, and some of his customers, found the hemp drivers too dry in the bass. I trust his ears and his advice and went paper.

Salectric likes this.
  16. david lai

david lai Active Member

Yes hemp woofers the one I got. Do you know if it would be possible to upgrade to silver coil and alnico magnet??

17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Interesting, I have paper driver's and I would have thought that hemp would maybe sound more organic?

But then, I do think my LF drivers (15") do sound excellent.

I would have thought that the hemp would add a bit of natural stiffness and help avoid break-up.

But then, come to think of it. I don't think that I'm having any issues with woofer break-up at all.

Interesting?

18. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Hemp is better IMO but then I have been told the break in is much longer - I bought mine as a demo so already broken in so I can't say what if any difference exists.

To be fair this is why Audio Note has so SO SOOOOOO many options because they know that some people like certain things.

Any AN J or AN E will be excellent from the basic J/D to the top of the line. It's a matter of how far in the platform you are willing to go. It's also why you can't trust other people's ears - folks who like Audio Note to me have illustrated they have good ears - but within the line then things becomes a bit more about taste.

19. james

james Summon The Queen

A little off topic regarding paper woofers: do Audio Note speakers need extra attention paid to how much sunlight they’re getting since they don’t have grills?

20. slcaudiophile

speakers are not plants my friend ... they don't need vitamin d! best to avoid sunlight whenever possible :). if my post was a little unfriendly my apologies ... coffee yet to kick in!

21. slcaudiophile

he is one of the larger AN dealers in the USA. what are the technical aspects of the hemp v paper driver? does anyone know?

22. slcaudiophile

its possible but i bet would be expensive (silver coils, SOGON wiring, Alnico drivers, etc). i would investigate the sound quality differences and make sure you will like the Alnico speakers and go from there. some people prefer different sounds in the AN range. i personally think the Alnico are the best sounding AN speakers but i happened to order the AN-E SPE HE (primarily for financial reasons) but at some point i will have a pair of the Es with the Alnico drivers and all that fun stuff. then i won't worry about speaker upgrades ... just amp upgrades. it will never end.

marka and Seafinch like this.
  23. james

james Summon The Queen

No problem and understood. I still think it’s a valid question.

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

This thread has me interested in hearing this companies speakers, especially the ones that are not too crazily priced, but as usual it looks like there are no nearby dealers here in OHIO. The store in E.Lansing Michigan, which would have been the closest, now looks to be out of business, despite Audio Note's U.S. dealers pages?

25. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Choice of hemp vs. paper is a matter of personal taste. The hemp drivers sound tighter and punchier and not as warm. For my taste, less warm/bloated in the bass is better, but, that is just my preference. Vu likes the extra warmth. In either case, Audio Note speakers are among the better widely available speakers on the market, they may not be everyone's favorite, but, not that many listeners will actually hate them. That is something quite rare.

jonwoody and SandAndGlass like this.