Audio Note UK factory tour & life in the fast lane with Peter Qvortrup, article by Rafe Arnott

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Yeah, I've thought about it; for a variety of reasons, it's tough for me to do a day trip. But after I retire, it's on my bucket list. :)

2. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

When you are ready to go for a visit, let me know and I will gladly meet up there. I can introduce you to the gang and you can enjoy having a listen in an old fashioned hifi shop : )

Don

** I just had a look. Are you located between Renton and Bellevue Washington? If so, then you don't have a huge drive ahead of you. You simply drive up the I-5 to Burlington and then head west for a short bit to Anacortes. The ferry goes straight across to the peninsula that Victoria is on. Google Maps says that is a 2 hour and 15 minute drive. Then take the ferry across. You could have a long but very enjoyable day : )

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    bhazen likes this.
  3. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Don, you are a gentleman and a scholar. :)

I'm thinking late 2018, after I retire. I simply cannot pass into the next world until I've heard an Audio Note system (and a Shindo one, but that's more problematic -- nearest dealer is in L.A., I think.)

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Can I come?

bhazen likes this.
  5. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Absolutely! Are you interested in hearing the most entry-level AN setup (CDP or DAC>integrated>speakers)? :)

I'm a seriously budget 'phile.

If you're referring to my dream trip to Pitch Perfect in L.A., that's me being a gawker only; I'll probably never be able to afford a Shindo rig.

6. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

You may be a budget phile but you've got an excellent system. Your CD-5 is a jewel.
    Is Pitch Perfect the only AN dealer in Southern Ca? I thought there was one with a normal store but an unnormal(sp!) demo room in the hills somewhere. I've been intrigued for some time by all the AN comments here. And its only a 120 mile drive to LA traffic.........ouch.

bhazen likes this.
  7. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Thank you for saying so (re: my second-hand Naim rig.)! IMO the CD-5 may be the most 'organic'-sounding of the entry-level Naim CD decks from a couple of decades ago. I treasure mine, and hope I can get the transport replaced when it finally goes. The Chartwell LS3/5s (added in 2016) snapped everything into focus.

Pitch Perfect are the Shindo place. :) If I were so bold, I'd hope to meet up with Warren Jarrett and our host for an LA AN demo! :)

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Love to meet you, any time!

bhazen likes this.
  9. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

ANYONE is welcome to Warren Jarrett's (that's me) Audio Home (that's my retail location in Fullerton). I have two full AN demo rooms and one Voss Audio demo room. No pressure to buy anything, just maybe some pressure to fully enjoy your visit. PM me here or find my email address to tell me when.

And I plan to visit Pitch Perfect, too, as soon as I find another audiofool (I meant phile) to go with me. Going alone, I wouldn't want to be accused of Audio Espionage. To this, I think, we could entice Steve to go with us.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  10. Don Parkhurst

Ok, here is the deal.....I have an Audio Note system and I have two friends with Shindo systems. You come on up across the border for a visit. I am less than five miles north. I am sure that with a bit of notice, we can convince ceynon to let us invade his Shindo haven. Then we can pop over to Dale's house for more Shindo enjoyment and even go to Soundhounds in Victoria and see my buddy Don Thorne!

I have room to put each of the three of you up at my place (Bruce, Steve and Warren). While you are here, we will have some home made pizza and probably too much red wine : )

bhazen likes this.
  11. Warren Jarrett

Sorry bhazen and DonParkhurst, you live much closer to each other than to me. But, since there are so many SteveHoffmanTV members up there, near you, who follow the Audio Note threads here, that if enough of you can agree on one particular weekend to visit I will finance a private bus for all of you to come at once. And, I will make a special event for you WITH Steve in attendance.

Guss2, FashionBoy and bhazen like this.
  12. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Wow, that's why I love this Forum. So many generous people here; generous with their most precious asset -- their time. I hope to take you, Steve and Don up on your offers in the near future. :)

13. Warren Jarrett

Funny, we are coming together on a plan, but so far from opposite directions. Yes, let's make one of these happen. I don't think Steve will travel far, though. He has too many commitments in Los Angeles, with his family and work.

bhazen likes this.
  14. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Ditto what I said just now. :) You all are great.

Not sure when I'll be in L.A., I'd combine with a work trip (session stuff). Visiting Don on a weekend a bit easier in the short term.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  15. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

Warren will you finance my flights from the UK so I can join the party please? :)

timind likes this.
  16. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

A few audiophile writers I know and respect have suggested to me that the ultimate gear for enjoying music resides in two companies: Audio Note, and Shindo. I'd love to hear yours, and Steve's, reacton to hearing the Shindo gear!

17. Don Parkhurst

Warren, that is very generous of you, but you would miss out on my pizza! Super Tuscan wine and home made pizza from scratch! Perhaps even Rafe and Edward Ku from Element Acoustics for an evening of music or two : )

If that doesn't work, which would be dissapppointing, I am hoping to come down for the Newport Beach Audio Show, if that is still happening this year. Perhaps several of us could meetup for pizza and wine/craft beer. (craft beer for Rafe and wine for he rest of us!)

If I can make it to Newport Beach, perhaps some others could join us for an evening of music and food! All would be welcome : ) I just have to make sure I get the time off!

bhazen likes this.
  18. Warren Jarrett

Yes and yes! I have been wanting to go to Vancouver again anyway, because it is just so beautiful, and so much has changed since I was there last. I have never made it to Victoria, which I strongly feel was a mistake. Plus, there are so many AN enthusiasts there, I would have a few homes to visit and listen.

Let's make it FOR SURE that everyone on this forum who will attend the Newport Show (no, no, now it is called T.H.E. Anaheim Show) will also plan to visit my Audio Home, and invite Steve too. The most respected pizza place in Orange County is very close by, family (from Napoli, AKA Naples) run, and using their Napoli-made pizza oven. No optional toppings or combinations, orders are from the pizza menu only. Purist pizza for a group of purist music and audio lovers. It is somewhat expensive and definitely worth it. I am not a craft beer person, but I can share a bottle of wine. And I have a wide selection of red wine at the Audio Home for us to share.

I suggest the Monday after T.H.E. show we all go to hear Shindo, eat pizza back in Fullerton, and end up at the Audio Home for late-night listening. I will make an appointment with the Shindo dealer for all of us, and invite him to our event too.

bhazen likes this.
  19. Warren Jarrett

By the way: Rafe, are you there, reading this? I very much hope you can participate too.

Steve and I very much want you to hear our full AN systems. We think they are the best sounding AN systems we have ever heard... probably because we have played with speaker placement to suit exactly our preferences. And luckily, Steve and I like very much the same sound characteristics, so we make a good team for tweeking.

20. tommylion

tommylion Well-Known Member

Okay, I am officially jealous of you west coast folks. Any AN fans on here near Vermont?

21. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

It depends on how you define 'near.'

I'm just about ready to open my Shindo-centric shop (and recording studio) in Stonington, CT and still have an Audio Note M6 Phono, Conqueror, Empress Silver mono amps and E/SPe HE spkrs.

bhazen likes this.
  22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Or Chicago!?

Joe Spivey likes this.
  23. Don Parkhurst

That sounds fantastic. I have to bid for the days that I work and days that I have off, each month. I put in my requests, so lets hope that it works out! That restaurant sounds ideal. Once I get my September schedule I will post again about dates and times....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.