Audio project: 24/48 to 16/44.1 - It´s slower

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by grx8, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grx8

grx8 Senior Member Thread Starter

I don´t know if the title works :winkgrin:

Ok, here´s the thing: I bought the DVD from David Gilmour in Concert (excellent) and I rip the 24/48 LPCM to the HD, and I want to convert it to 16/44.1 for CD-r purposes.
    Im using Cool Edit Pro 2.0, and I´m sure that when I convert it to 16/44.1 the music gets slower. Does anyone knows what option or "preferences" should I check on Cool Edit to get the best result in the downsampling?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Here's how I do it:

Cllick on Edit: Convert Sample Type.

Choose the sample rate of 44100 and 16 bit resolution. I set the Pre/Post Filter at 750. You should apply dither at this stage and I've been using Dither Depth of .7 bits, Triangular p.d.f. and No Noise Shaping. You may wish to use C1 or C2 noise shaping, but that's a personal preference. I'd like to thank Grant for the dither settings. :)

You may be using the Edit: Adjust Sample Rate, and that WILL change the speed of the music.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Bill

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

First, grx8, You should ensure that your soundcard is playing back at the appropriate sample rate. That is why things sound slow when playing back your files at 48KHz. (Or did I get that backward?) Just go to Edit/Adjust Sample Rate. You wont change the file here. You will just change the soundcard playback. No harm will be done.

Bill and gru8:

My settings these days for dither are:
    p.d.f. "Shaped Triangular"
    Noise Shaping: 44.1KHz

And, I use a dither bit depth of anywhere from .5 to 1, depending on how the file in question sounds. Obviously, I now customize the dither for every song. This means I do listening tests to determine where I want the sound to be.

I have gone back to using noise shaping, but I no longer use the C2 curve. I have found that I get beter results if I play around with the dither bit. It is rarely the same for every song now. Time consuming? Yes. But well worth it!

My methods always change as I always look for ways to get the best CD sound from 32>16-bit.

Oh yeah, I always set the post-filtering at it's highest setting. I don't mind the increase in processing time.

4. grx8

That´s what I was doing, duh! :shh:

When I get home I will try your tips, thanks guys.

5. grx8

It worked great guys, thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.