Audio Research 150.2 may make me a convert

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

While my ARC VT-100 is in to have a relay replaced and new tubes installed, my dealer loaned me the new ARC 150.2 amp to use. This is a new design for ARC it uses a Class-T digital power supply. To say I am overwhelmed by this amp is an understatement. With my CLS IIz's mid bass has really bloomed, rock music now has slam. The amp has a nice wide deep sound stage and the amp gives up nothing to the VT-100 in terms of imaging. It is a ruthlessly revealing amp, on good recordings it is outstanding BUT on less than the best recording I did not find it an enjoyable experience. I did find that it did not make the speakers disappear as well as the tube amp but this may happen as the amp warms up, they say because the amp draws almost no power and runs as "cool as a cucumber" you should leave it on 24/7.
    Small scale jazz loss the sense of smoothness but piano took on real weight and horns became crisp and "real" sounding. Because the amp gave more weight to the bass end of the speakers, it made the subwoofer integrate better with the panels with bass now becoming one as well as deep.
    My dealer has made me a very attractive offer on an already reasonably priced amp, I may just buy it. I have it for the next 5 days so I be doing more extensive listening.
    After living with tube amps for the last 20 years maybe it's time for a change.

2. Dingusboy

Dingusboy Forum Resident

Take all of that five days before you decide anything. I have found that quality changes initially sound good. Pyschosomatic maybe. It's with time that I better appreciate (or don't) all that a new piece of gear has to offer.

3. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Check out Great Northern Sound and speak to Steve Huntley. He may be able to offer you another course of action and you will end up with a much better amp at a fraction of the cost. You will find reviews of their work at Audiogon.

http://www.greatnorthernsound.com/

4. TommyTunes

Thanks for the info but I really not into modified equipment. Also I like to support my local dealers.

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Audio Research is a terrific company and based on my 16+ years of working with them are a genuine value for high end equipment. They stand behind every product no matter how old.

6. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I'm pretty sure that the amplifier stage is digital, not the power supply.

7. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

I do belive the power supply is digital too.

Still, it's a darn good amp, especially for the price. But ARC is right, you need to leave it on 24/7 or you'll never hear it at its best.

8. KLM

KLM Senior Member

What's the retail price on the new 150.2?

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I had that Tripath amp. I'm really sorry to say that it is a complete piece of garbage. Avoid it.

10. TommyTunes

$2495

11. TommyTunes

Well I've now spent 5 days with this amp and my opinion hasn't changed. The only thing I can add is that it may be a bit lean sounding in some systems. I like how it sounds on heavier rock better than on Jazz because it brings out the mid bass better with my speakers, I believe this is simply because the amp is more powerful. Ideally I would like to have both this amp and my tube VT-100. Switching between them depending on the source material and I thought about doing this but I just don't have the extra to spend right now. :(

I you are looking for a reasonably priced amp you owe it to yourself to hear this amp. :edthumbs:

12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I'm really trying to help you. Perhaps there is something to what I have posted. Has that crossed your mind.

13. TommyTunes

Have you actually heard the ARC 150.2? Since they use the Tripath chip I'm not sure that is the same as a Tripath amp. What is the Tripath amp? The Bel Canto eVo amp uses the Tripath chip set also and Stereophile has that as a Class A rating. The chip simply controls a function of the ARC 150.2 NOT the sound. It's like saying some manufactures implement a bad tube design so that makes all tube amps bad.

14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Yes, I owned the 150.2. PM me, we can talk on the phone if you like. The chip does indeed "control" the sound.

15. RandyHat

RandyHat Senior Member

Please share your views with others here. I too am interested in this amp and am considering it among a short list of others. I am curious to hear more about your experiences with this amp.

Randy

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have heard digital amps and transistor amps and very few capture the tonality of instruments like a well-designed ARC or C-J tube amp in my opinion.

17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

No phone call, so I guess the opinion came across as valuable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.