Audio Research Phone Stage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by teaser5, Dec 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Audio Research Phono Stage

I have my eye on this boy:

PH3SE Stereo Phono Preamplifier

Anybody have an opinion of it? Something in the same price range they like better perhaps? Working with a plain old Rega P3 and Exact Cartridge

Happy Holidays
    Norm

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I have always found Audio Research gear a bit lean sounding.

Others love it to death.

It depends on what the rest of your system sounds like....

3. teaser5

Thanks Steve!

Is there something else out there you think sounds fuller?
    I didn't really want to drop seven large on a Steelhead
    Thanks!
    Norm

4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

My experience with ARC gear is the same as Steve's, Even NOS tube rolling doesn't totally erase its inherent character.

Fuller? You might look at the EAR 834P. A bit more romantic, but still nicely detailed. It also responds very well to tube rolling and some simple cap changes.

John K.

5. teaser5

EAR 834P

Nice write ups. It's an ugly sucker though..:p

Thanks
    N

6. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Re: EAR 834P

I have one of these as well :) one advantage is that it is long and thin (and ugly) and allows me to place it behind the pre-amp out of sight (couldn't find a paper bag :) ). Mine is currently fitted with the predictable Telefunkens though I have a few ;) sets of alternatives - the ones recommended by a dealer friend were Raytheons.

All the best - Andrew

7. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

See if you can audition the PH3SE in your own system before committing to a purchase. I have an early PH3 (pre-SE upgrade), and it has a fixed gain of 54dB. I'm not sure if the current PH3SE adds adjustable gain or not. If not, this will place your Exact cartridge at the edge of compatibility with a PH3SE given it's 1.75mV output. Your Exact may very well perform better with less gain. The PH3 really is geared toward medium output moving coil cartridges. Just a thought. :)

8. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

The rule should be always audition no matter what anybody says or who they are.

I have a PH3/LS15 combo for my LP12/Glider front end. I wouldn't have it if I didn't love it. Of course everything was carefully evaluated.

John

9. teaser5

Thanks!

This is why I love this place man. So many nice and well informend folks
    You guys have a great weekend and Happy Holidays.
    Peace
    Norm

10. teaser5

Finally bought it!

I have only listened to a few sides but I really think it sounds great. The phono card in the BAT was nice (especially compared to the ten dollar phono section of my Yamaha surround receiver which I was using before I found this place...) but this sounds like a big step up. Analog sounds a lot fuller to me and it sounds like it's playing so much easier. Certainly takes a lot less volume on the BAT now. Plus it seems like there's more information and more detailed info to my ears...and more color.

I played the old Blasters LP "Hard Line" and The Band's "Moondog Matinee" for company last night. I have had the Blasters record for what? seventeen years maybe and God knows how old that Band record is..close to thirty years old I guess. These people were knocked out by the detail and color of this music. I thought it sounded really wonderful for a lower end TT. I am a happy guy. Thanks for all the input and Aashton: sorry it took so long

Cheers!
    Norm

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

"My experience with ARC gear is the same as Steve's, Even NOS tube rolling doesn't totally erase its inherent character."

I think its dangerous to consider the last five years ARC gear as lean sounding as in my experience it is not. This was the case in the early in mid-90s on some items, but the company has just kept getting better. If anything, some find the bass a bit too rich.

I have an Audio Research VT100 and IMHO its one of the most accurate amps I have heard. I just love it. It reproduces what I hear in the studio very nicely.

:)

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

"Nice write ups."

The Positive Feedback site has a nice review from my friend Bob Levi.

Bob liked it and Bob knows both vinyl and phono preamps. Check it out!

13. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I agree their recent designs are neutral which some thing are thin. I went from a CJ Pre/Power to ARC LS25/PH3SE/VT100 and couldn't be happier. Plus their designs seem to be more reliable. I was having to replace tubes constantly in the CJ units, plus that switches fail.

14. mazort

mazort New Member

My Two Cents

I see the 'Trane has already left the station, but since I actually own a PH3SE I must say that it is my favorite ARC gear, I've never had any complaints about the sound, very natural. I've not absolutely loved the rest of the ARC gear I've owned, although it was all very good. The PH3SE is the one piece I still have that I've never gotten tired of. In tube preamps and amps I prefer Audio Note.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.