audio system crossroads

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by brooklyn, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I’m at a crossroads with my audio system and hope someone can help. I haven’t been to any audio shows or salons in a long time so I don’t get to audition any new equipment like I did years ago. I need some opinions about how I need to proceed. I'm a middle of the road audiophile so to speak. I can't afford the best but I dont buy cheap..

My present system consist of a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp, 250 wpc, a VPI Scout turntable with a Ortofon 2M Black cartridge and a Graham Slee ERA V phono preamp. The digital section consist of an old Sony S7000 DVD player that I’m using for a transport with a PS Audio DL lll
    Dac and a pair of Maggie MMG’s.

Years ago when I bought a pair of Magnepan MG2 B’s I had them biamped using a Conrad Johnson MV45a amp for the high’s and a Sumo 9+ driving the Low’s with a Conrad Johnson PV2ar preamp. I also had a Ariston RD 80 turntable with a Grace 707 mk ll tone arm and Denon Low output moving coil cartridge and a Supex step up device borrowed from a friend.

When I listened for the first time my jaw dropped. It sounded like liquid coming from the speakers.. That was roughly 28 years ago..

Fast forward to the present system sitting in an 12X14 foot dedicated music room. For the most part I do like the system but sounds a little antiseptic. The MMG’s are staying until I get the 1.7‘s because they were my most recent purchase and possibly still not broken in at this time. This is the forth time over the years going back to the Maggies.. The Ortofon 2M black is also a few months old and has not been broken in fully at this time.

It is very frustrating for me not to be able to audition audio equipment since I left New York some 12 years ago, I work out of state and only get to listen every few weeks when I go home to MO. Even though I only get to buy online either new or used I feel I have a good system but not quite there...

Any help or advice would be appreciated..

2. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I'm probably going to sound like a broken record as I say this all of the time. But if I were you I wouldn't buy another piece of equipment until you spent some money addressing the room's acoustics (acoustic panels/bass traps). At minimum the first reflection points should be addressed.

(I'm assuming that you haven't done this as there is nothing listed in your profile.)

3. chodad

chodad Hodad

You might want to change your amp. MF gear is great but IMO a bit on the lean side.

4. brooklyn

No, I haven't done any room treatments at this time. Behind my listening position I have a large bookshelves which takes up most of the wall and there is a caddy corner door next to it to come in the room and that's the whole back wall.. Audio equipment is on the side (long wall) so far nothing on the front wall behind the speakers.. From what I've read, I would need some kind of dispersion on that wall.

My original system with the MG2 B's had nothing but living room furniture only it was a larger room..

5. brooklyn

There's nothing lean about the MF A5.. This amp makes the Maggies sing. I would have like to connect a tube preamp to it but the A5 wont let it. Which means I would also need a hi power amp.

6. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

I would also agree about room treatment and/or setup.

7. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

I guess any decisions toward changes or upgrades need to take into account your budget!

[​IMG]

8. brooklyn

I'm leaning toward a used SS amp and Tube preamp. I think 4 grand should cover it, If that what I need. So far, room treatment seems to be the favorite in this thread.

Like I said, I can't afford the best but I don't buy cheap..

9. DPM

DPM Senior Member

If you're good with your hands you could build some absorption panels and/or bass traps yourself. There's videos on youtube from folks who have gone this route.

10. You're lucky to have a dedicated room. Room treatment would be the best option. The great thing is it doesn't have to cost thousands either.

11. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Definitely keep the Ortofon black.

I would upgrade the speakers and like others said, address the room.

Good luck!!!

12. brooklyn

Well, I guess I will be adding some room treatment at some point, hopefully in the near future. I would have never have expected
    those answers but I guess the room must need it. Thank you all for your replies..

13. brooklyn

also, do you think the Maggie 1.7 would do well in my 12' X 14' room??

14. motorcitydave

Well, how big are the 1.7s?

15. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Does anyone have links to good sites regarding DIY room treatments for the cash-poor? My analog rig is in the basement (cinder block walls, furnace, etc) and I'm sure I could make big improvements for under $1000, if I just knew what to do...

Don't mean to hijack, though.

16. DPM

DPM Senior Member

17. brooklyn

1.7 are 19w X 65H Why?

18. brooklyn

That was a nice youtube video... but, I'm a little confused..

I thought I read that magnepan's need defusing on the front wall behind the speakers..
    Not absorption.

19. brooklyn

No, the room is not treated..

While I haven't treated my room acoustically, it certainly is not a lively room but I will take your suggestions....... It can't hurt, and thank you very much..

20. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yes, I'd hang on to the amp too - 250wpc is not to be sniffed at and most speakers thrive on more than less available power.

21. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Not sure I understand what the OP means by 'antiseptic'.

Not to sound like a fan boy - but I run the A5 and get great synergy with my B&W bookies - not lean at all.

The OP hasn't told us what cabling he is using.

Scoff if you must, but in my book, cabling can have some beneficial synergy on a system: everything matters....or nothing does.

22. motorcitydave

Well, to see if they'll fit into your room. :cool:

23. motorcitydave

I agree. :)

24. brooklyn

I mean a little dry sounding, I would like the sound to be a little more liquid..
    or warmer, like you get from tubes...

From the VPI to the Graham Slee, Cardas Neutral reference
    From the Graham Slee to the A5, JPS Super Conductor

From Sony to PS Audio Dac DL lll Stereovox XV 2 Digital cable
    From PS Audio to A5 Stereovox Vespa

I really like the A5 but would like a slightly warmer sound.
    I may go back to separates with a tube preamp..

25. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Great cartoon. I would address any room-tuning needs 1st.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.