Audio Technica 1240 in use at Gotta Groove Record Pressing

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AutomatedElectronics, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AutomatedElectronics

AutomatedElectronics Forum Resident Thread Starter

I put in a search for the Audio Technica 1240 turntable and nothing came up.

Watching the video from Gotta Groove Records, I noticed that they were using an Audio Technica 1240 turntable as a reference turntable for their quality control. I also noticed that they were obviously NOT using an Audio Technica cartridge. With all the great turntables out there, eventhough some are 'mickey mouse' looking and under engineered, it is good to see that they use a real world, common turntable which many of the common folk buy and use. This is a real 'hats-off' salute to the quality of turntable that Audio Technica can build.

Too many people blow a lot of money on a high-end turntable, but in actuality, the record manufacturers use more common turntables for their reference checks. I find it silly to buy a turntable or cartridge which is better than what the record manufacturers use for a reference.

In case you haven't seen it, here is the Gotta Groove Records video:

LarryP, 33na3rd, andrewskyDE and 2 others like this.
  2. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Thanks so much for that. :righton:

3. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

So am I misunderstanding the purpose of this table? It's to check to make sure pressings are accurate to the degree they don't skip, aren't warped, and are pressed on-center, right? Maybe a few other things? Basically, a QC step?

JinOhio likes this.
  4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

While it's a great table, don't see SQ as the issue they are checking for. Flatness and quietness seems to be there main concern.
    So, I can't agree with your statement that follows:
    I find it silly to buy a turntable or cartridge which is better than what the record manufacturers use for a reference.
    The cart statement concerns me the most. Their goals can be quite different than what many may want.

5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Yes. It's not for evaluating mastering quality. Strictly factory QC: off-centre pressings, plating errors etc.

It would be silly to spend serious money on a high end rig for such a rudimentary function.

jmczaja and Slick Willie like this.
  6. AutomatedElectronics

Please watch the video.

7. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Well. That's some warped logic right there.

8. AutomatedElectronics

Please watch the video.

Having been introduced to Audio Technica cartridges in the 70's, mainly because of CD-4 discrete quadraphonic records, I have bought many of their cartridges over the years. What I have noticed, through my experience with many different Audio Technica cartridges and comparing them with other brands such as Shure, Pickering, Grado and Stanton, the quality of the A/T cartridges has not been maintained. I have compared the cartridges not only through sound quality, but because my ears aren't what they used to be, but also comparing through an oscilloscope. Including the A/T 3600 series in the initial AT-LP120's was a very costly attrocity for me, destroying a couple of very expensive rare records before I realized what was going on. Their upgrade to the A/T 95E series was a good move, but not as good as other comparatively priced cartridges.

9. toddrhodes

Wait, is this the OSHA belt drive guy again?

Never mind. I'll watch the video again just because it's interesting, but not because it will support OP's line of thinking.

By the way, I use an AT cart.

10. Slick Willie

I have watched the video, in it's entirety....enjoyed it. Yet I do not see how it confirms your point. I own and have owned AT products. I like them, truly I do....but your interruption of what was presented is very flawed. To the point that I would suggest deleting this thread and starting anew......what do others use to test quality...QRP as one example....perhaps that would be a thread of more interest to this forum?
    I only see this one resulting in heartache for ya'.

11. Slick Willie

HA!!!! Yes it is!!!! I have an exposed belt drive and have now put caution tape all around it!!!!
    Sorry.....

12. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

No, I think it's the "metal open-reel flanges cause sparks" guy.

Slick Willie likes this.
  13. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I had an at lp120usb and it was great to learn on and experiment with. I recently traded it in while buying another turntable. I now see that the retailer has it up for sale after removing the built in preamp. I hope it finds a happy home; I certainly enjoyed using it and I'm sure it sounds better than ever, albeit with a bit of motor noise.

14. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

"Wait, is this the OSHA belt drive guy again?"

This is the first thing I thought when seeing this thread.

Brewbs and MrRom92 like this.
  15. Slick Willie

This is gonna' haunt him I see...

16. AutomatedElectronics

"interruption"??? Maybe you meant interpretation? Better turn that spell-check back on before it haunts you!
    OK. How is my interpretation wrong? Let's see,
    1). Gotta Groove is using an AT 1240 for testing each run of record pressings, correct?
    2). The AT 1240 is using a cartridge other than one made by AT, correct?

Not sure what for or who uses it, but the first turntable they show in their video is a, hold your breath, a Gemini. Doggone! And, oh my gosh, wait for it, is that an AT cartridge that I see with it????

Maybe QRP might be able to make better records if they used the same turntables for reference as the more experienced record manufacturers. Unless you are blind, can't read or hear either, you know that QRP has some quality control and manufacturing issues. One issue that I have personally experienced with QRP and have posted videos for is their grossly off-center pressings. Maybe it's not credible evidence as I used my Accutrac programmable remote controlled turntable modified with a Shure M97xe cartridge to make the videos.

Now, to prevent anymore embarrassment on your part, maybe you should delete your posts?

17. AutomatedElectronics

Hey that's me! Too bad you can't address me directly. What's wrong with my line of thinking? Please offer your opinion and stick to the subject of the thread.

18. AutomatedElectronics

Too bad he went to all that trouble. There is a switch to turn off the pre-amp. The AT-LP120 , with the pre-amp switched off can easily the 30khz carrier signal for the discrete CD-4 records and does well up to the 50khz frequency top end of many CD-4 cartridges. Can you ask for more?

19. AutomatedElectronics

Yep, that's me! What's wrong with talking about personal experiences? Do I need to post a video of that also? Let's see, what deck should I use, Studer, Ampex, Pioneer RT909 or maybe my everyman's Teac 4-channel deck? Hmmm. What do you use?

20. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Irrespective of the quality of the unit, who buys it and who uses Audio Technica 1240 turntables, there are many turntables that sound much better than it.
    If very high quality sound is important to you, it would be "silly" to buy a turntable of lower quality just because someone else has it.
    However, if your audio system is not ultra-high quality, the AT1240 might be OK for your needs.

21. toddrhodes

Hi. I'm Todd. Your logic is flawed as you are saying a turntable used only to check for quality control issues should be some sort of "high bar" for listening at home.

Are you only checking for warps and mispressings on your turntables at home? Or do you listen to music through them?

If the latter, what you've said in the OP makes no sense whatsoever and I'm upset I actually had to type this out to explain it to you.

Have a blessed day, please wear a helmet.

Brewbs, EmmEff, MrRom92 and 1 other person like this.
  22. Slick Willie

:biglaugh:
    You are a treasure...yes you are!
    And thanks for being my spell checker....but then again maybe 'your interruption' is more accurate?:cool:
    And I still believe your interpretation of what was presented is flawed, very flawed.
    Your logic confuses and confounds me.

23. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

You can definitely ask for more. Which is why it's generally recommended that the pre-amp gets ripped out of these units. The "off" switch isn't a true bypass, it is still active in the circuit and still manages to muddy up the sound. This is a well documented issue with the Hanpin OEM turntables, unlike the supposed safety hazards of an exposed belt or NAB reels

dbsea, EmmEff and Slick Willie like this.
  24. AutomatedElectronics

I understand. But in my testing, having removed the entire pre-amp/bypass board, I couldn't hear nor could I see on the scope any improvement. It's one thing to sit behind the scenes and comment about something, but to actually do something and have scientific evidence to back it up is another thing. Have you tried this yourself and run it on a scope?
    Ofcourse, every different type of amp, pre-amp, speaker, cable, cartridge, stylus, turntable, etc. is going to have a different sound. That's a given but is totally subjective. What is important is how it sound to you.

25. AutomatedElectronics

As you are a treasure. You are the one with the interruption. You still are saying nothing. What is flawed about my post? If you can't come up with something legitimate, then you are just adding a bunch of hot air. You are using no logic at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.