Audio-Technica announces extensive new VM cartridge series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Poison_Flour, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

2. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Strange, but interesting development. I suppose as long as they keep making ML replacement styli that will fit my 440MLa cartridges, I'll have no reason to complain (except for the increasing cost, of course).

3. Grant

It's the styrene.

I am one of the apparently few people who can track a styrene 45 without carving it up.

4. Grant

I just looked at the new line, and my head is spinning! The specs on the flagship cart, that comes up- at a very reasonable price, BTW, has similar specs of the 150lmlx. I also like that these carts all seem to have interchangeable parts. Don't like your Shibata? Slap on a MicroLine stylus and see what happens.

Now, if the price of new records would only come down!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. missan

missan Forum Resident

Surely you can´t see the needle cut with a magnifying glass.

6. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Ok, so you are saying that you only damage the first part of styrene 45s. Your post is confusing since you state that there is "a rotational crunching sound, which is the stylus damaging the vinyl." This makes it sound like you've damaged vinyl LPs or singles.

Hermetech Mastering likes this.
  7. spindashblue

spindashblue Well-Known Member

Looking at the specifications on Audio Technica's website, it appears that one of the main changes to these VM cartridges over the current AT models is the move from 1.4g to 2g tracking force.

8. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

I have an eyepiece that I can rotate to focus. I hold the stylus right up to it and twist the piece until it's crystal clear. I've used this for over 20 years and you can clearly see the stylus details. Perhaps not every ridge but it gives you a very clear picture.

Heckto35 likes this.
  9. Scott Davies

I think you're mixing up my post and someone else's. I cannot play styrene with an ML stylus without ripping them to shreds. The rotational crunching happens on 12" vinyl, and usually only the first minute or so of the first song. You can hear the crunching/damage start just after the stylus descends the outer slope. It seems to be the slight slope itself causing the gouging into the vinyl, but it only happens on 1 out of every 8-10 12" records. I have a Depeche Mode 180 gram LP that was dished when I opened it. The side of the LP that bows upwards will display this crunching damage on the whole side, the other side (when flattened from the center with my record weight) plays just fine. So it's definitely something with the ML when not entirely flat that seems to cause this.

dbsea likes this.
  10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's something to do with your set up. Perhaps you should stick to conical. Funny no one else has reported this issue. I have played records with an AT elliptical previously played with an ML and no damage or any crunching sounds. I suggest maybe the ML is too sensitive for your tonearm or it is badly aligned. I also see members can't view your profile so can't see what you are using.

11. missan

missan Forum Resident

So You are saying that You can see the tip of the needle that will contact the groove?

12. Scott Davies

Yes

Heckto35 likes this.
  13. Scott Davies

I don't have a gear profile.

14. missan

missan Forum Resident

You do know that the distance between the contacting points is 25,4micrometer.

Robert C likes this.
  15. Grant

I did not say that. Don't put words in my mouth. Are you even sure you are referencing MY post instead of someone else's post?o_O

Heckto35, Scott Davies and missan like this.
  16. Grant

There is a command by the host that we cannot post about sound quality unless we fill out our gear profile. It's in the FAQs.

17. Scott Davies

If that is so then it is silly, but I have done professional remastering on a freelance basis for over 10 years now for several labels so I will leave that as my reference.

Heckto35 likes this.
  18. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Dude, chill out. I clearly wasn't paying attention and misread something. Relax, it's just an internet forum.

bleachershane, Robert C and Rolltide like this.
  19. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification. I don't have the 440MLa mounted right now, but I'll keep this in mind if I decide to press it into service again.

20. Scott Davies

After months of debate and after this discussion, I just purchased a brand new turntable online about two hours ago. I have used my audio technical PL 120 since 2009 but I think it's time for an upgrade. After endless research and reading reviews, the one I settled on is the reloop 4000. It's in the price range I was looking for, and I managed to get a really good deal by making an offer on eBay.

21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

The 440 and 150 are still listed, along with the new models: Cartridges | Audio-Technica »

22. Grant

The reason is because He can't know what to base a person's sound opinions in if he has no idea what they are hearing the music on. For all he knows, someone claiming a CD or something sounds, say, bass shy, could be listening on a Mickey Mouse player, or lying.

No, it was not clear.

Heckto35 likes this.
  23. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

This is the last thing I'll say about the matter: I'm sorry for mistaking your post for someone else's. It was an error on my part. You seem to be taking this personally for some reason. Let it go.

24. Grant

You're thinking that i'm taking this more personally than I am. But, you did come after me hard.

25. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Isn't that essentially the same as the AT? The specs look very similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.