Audio-Technica announces extensive new VM cartridge series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Poison_Flour, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevenalejandro

stevenalejandro Forum Resident

Here's the AT VM540ML Cart playing one of the new Elton John LP reissues:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Patti12, MikeJedi, FashionBoy and 4 others like this.
  2. macster

macster Forum Resident

This sounds very good.

M~

3. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I've got one of these coming this week. Looking forward to it, will report back.

stevenalejandro likes this.
  4. stevenalejandro

stevenalejandro Forum Resident

Here's an analog(ish) example of the AT VM540ML Cart playing The Clash UK original press of London Calling:

Minty_fresh and shadowlord like this.
  5. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

OK, got my VM540ML yesterday. I stopped playing my 440MLb a week or so ago in the name of playing it safe with my records, so some of this could be the halo effect of having a new toy.

That said, I do notice somewhat improved definition and placement. The 440MLb was pretty good for this (if not as good as the 440MLa,) but I'm playing Funkadelic's Cosmic Slop right now, and I don't remember the vocals in This Broken Heart being quite this present.

It's slightly brittle, but I'm hoping that'll change as it's broken in.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Any others' have comments and reviews on this replacement series for 150 and 440 AT lines?

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Everyone, nobody knows flat and accurate like an old school broadcast engineer. Even our host agrees with this most of the time (I think, Steve's practical to a point) . Also, what's the obsession with sub 1.5 gram tracking forces and overforensic stylus profiles? Which don't play all records well. I am demanding, I also play a wide range of records, a .7 mil, a .3 x .7 mil, a 2.7 mil and a 3.0 mil are 98% of what I need to play any record from 1932 to right now well if not ideally. I have the nicer profiles and MC for when they're special and needed. Most of my records get played on Shure M 44-7, N 44-3, and M 75 EJ, and N75-6 styli every day, microscope checked for wear flats every 3 months. Replaced at first sign of wear flats. Played on logical, practical real world turntables and tonearms. On reliable, stable, well behaved, excellent sounding equipment which is the best for the most affordable on a pauper's means. I want the most, for the least expenditure. And styli I can afford to replace when worn out, and replace when they need to be, no out of band junk in the way of the music I want to hear, And gimpy resistant (I have unpredictable spasticity, I need the most rugged, with the best performance, which is rugged enough to do my needs, no out of band, forensic unwanted necessary). 20-20,000 flat and accurate all I need, able to track 98% of commercial recordings on a daily basis, no mistracking, rugged enough to use daily. I am your rational, practical audiophile. My methods give you 98% of what is on records, 100% of the time at the least cost. And work for all but a few people (and my ear is trained). Be mindful of that. I tell it like it is. Those in the know need to pay attention.

kitt1987, JohnO, Dolemite and 3 others like this.
  8. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

Not really, you didn’t engage with the subject of the thread once, and I came away from your post feeling confused.

macster, Heckto35, MusicNBeer and 8 others like this.
  9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

LOL.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Personally speaking, Audio-Technica is a company who makes nice cartridges. The VM series are very nice, and I am really happy you have different options and price points. 2 grams is a good tracking force in today's world for most tonearms. The VM series I have heard demonstrated are very nice. I like them better than most. They sound very nice, track great, and fairly priced. I wish they would come up with an easier way to change styli and keep that system's good points. My all time favorite Audio-Technica cartridge is the Signet TK3Ea. That is a heavenly sounding cartridge, plenty of detail, but not overbright.

Heckto35 likes this.
  11. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

any that sound like a V15 type III??

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The AT is different, brighter and lively. Some like that sound. I like the VM series conical and the new replacement for the AT 120 E/T a lot. Both of those are less bright, still keep a lively sound, and overall nice on the lower end. There's something for almost everyone in the new Audio-Technica VM series from conical to Shibata and upgrade capable or downgrade capable if you decide to do either, versatile too. A nice sensible concept.

Heckto35 likes this.
  13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

I thought the Shure sound was "it", until I heard my first ADC - a really primitive "3" in its bright red dress, but what a sound. It didn't take long for me to prefer that sound over Shures (and Pickering/Stantons). When AT first entered the market, it seemed to that their "house sound" had a lot in common with the ADCs.

I know there's a huge fan base for Shure - and especially the V15 - and I respect their preference. I think Shure missed a big chance to stay relevant in the "vinyl revival", but chose not to.

As always, just my opinion, YMMV.

McLover and SteelyNJ like this.
  14. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

only reason I ask about the V15 is because it's used as a calibration standard for some disc cutting set ups

15. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I bought a VM540ML. It is a superb cartridge. Treble is not shrill at times like a AT120e. It reproduces details better than the excellent Grado Green. I could upgrade, but not so sure I would be getting such a value as the VM540ML provides. I say best cartridge for the money spent. And, a German magazine stated the VM540ML is better than the more expensive VM740ML.

missan likes this.
  16. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

According to one of their charts, it contacts more of the groove overall.

17. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

And I'm always and forever in the "exotic stylus" camp of AT fans, so my VM760SLC gives me extreme joy!

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Most disc cutting equipment from 1968-1980 something was calibrated with the Stanton 681A, the recording industry reference standard, also likewise for the broadcast industry.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I bought a VM760SLC awhile back, but finally got around to mounting it on a headshell. Was a bit thin for an hour or so and then it really started blossoming! Sounds pretty amazing on the 1200MkII. Gonna move it to the GR tonight! I so love being back to two compatible tables!.

Heckto35, recstar24, macster and 2 others like this.
  20. macster

macster Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm headed towards the VM760 myself probably around Sept.

Over here the VM540 has better sound stage than the Shure M97Xe/Jico SAS. Neither are bright in my system since the capacitance of my phono circuit is a little below 200pf and I'm running Vandersteen speakers. I like what I'm getting so far.

M~

Heckto35 and BayouTiger like this.
  21. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

I'm so happy you enjoy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.