Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

If anyone is looking for a deal on the Art9, I actually just took a brand new one on trade yesterday, from a good customer of mine (and fellow forum member here as well). He was planning on installing it on his Linn table, but decided to swap tables and now has an RP10 with a new Apheta 2, so he no longer had use for the Art9. Feel free to PM me for further info.......

JCOehler likes this.
  2. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

What sort of "upgrade" are you getting? I've got a Triton that I sent to Rogue HQ a while back for the installation of a mono switch.

3. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I have an Ares, Rogue is now selling a new "Upgraded Magnum" version of the Ares. Like many of their products the "Original" Ares can be upgraded to the "Magnum" version. The upgrade includes the Cinemag 1254 Blue SUT, better caps and internal wiring, etc.

avanti1960 and GoldprintAudio like this.
  4. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Hi Todd

Can you point me to some of those opinions you read?

Thanks

PB

5. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

It's been a few months but I will take a look to see what I can dig back up.

@vinyldoneright - No mention of etched treble, except on breakin here, but a few posts compare the 7 to the 9: Audio-Technica AT-ART9 phono cartridge | Audiogon Discussion Forum

Takeaways: 7 works well for classical music, 9 works well for rock/jazz/pop but IMO, it works just fine for classical too. Break-in is a big deal on these, with some not ridding themselves of a little brightness until 100, or even 150 hours. 7 needs a SUT or a very, very good active MC stage at .12 mv out compared to .5mv on the 9.

This one doesn't speak very highly of the 7 just a few posts in, haven't read far enough in to see if the 9 comes up by comparison: Audio Technica AT50ANV Successors: AT-ART7 vs. ART9 - which audible Sonic Difference - diyAudio

I'll dig some more. I can't recall, and these don't look that familiar to what I read back when I was researching, but hopefully they still shed some light on the subject for you

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I read on AG that the ART7 is more suitable for classical music and the ART9 for pop/jazz/rock FWIW.

7. avanti1960

The ART9 is probably the single most piece of audio equipment I have ever owned that demands patience and loyalty. I did not want to believe what everyone was saying to that effect and hence my impatience.
    After playing it regularly for 3 months, it just revealed some new sonic territory that just flat out blew me away. I was playing an acoustic sounds record (Kenny Dorham, Quiet Kenny, highly recommended jazz trumpet BTW) and I have never heard anything better come out of a set of speakers- any place- any time. a great source can elevate even modest systems to very high levels.

Seafinch and bluemooze like this.
  8. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I imagine the "best for classical" is because it is lower output, stylus is the same, and it looks like an OC9 and the majority of those reviews are from people who have/had some version of OC9, which explains a lot, one guy compared the ART9 to his Zyx Airy 3..yikes..talk about an ear bleeder.

9. avanti1960

the ART9 is the farthest thing from an "ear bleeder" cartridge I have ever heard.

DaMoodyBlues and toddrhodes like this.
  10. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

One mans "ear bleeder" is another mans "detailed"

11. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

"I read on AG that the ART7 is more suitable for classical music and the ART9 for pop/jazz/rock FWIW."

This was a notion originally put out by Audio Technica. Utter nonsense IMO.

bluemooze and Doctorcilantro like this.
  12. avanti1960

Quite possibly but others have agreed with this idea. I gravitated to the ART9 because the ART7 has a really low output (.12 mv) and requires a phono stage with at least 69 db gain.

13. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

"but others have agreed with this idea" Who would that be exactly?

Though I have looked I have never seen a direct comparison made between and Art 7 and an Art 9. In fact, a direct comparison would be very difficult, because to run an Art 7 you need an extra stage of amplification, which in most cases seems to be an SUT. So it is Art 7 + SUT v. Art 9. But an SUT introduces its own distortions. Also, the two cartridges have different compliances and the same arm used for a test might favor one over the other.

As for me, I have always found wisdom in the old HP remark that if a component reproduces unamplified classical music well, it will be good on everything else. There is no question but that the Art 9 does very well, perhaps close to SOTA, on classical music. Seems to be lots of agreement on this. Could be the same for the 7.

toddrhodes likes this.
  14. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

One person quoted the AT response and everyone else has run with that, how that statement would lead anyone to believe that "being better for classical" means brighter is beyond me. The ART7 is closer to the
    AT50ANV in specifications. I would love to hear some needledrops of the ART9, if there are some on this thread please point me there

15. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I'd be happy to do some if I could figure out how to get digitized vinyl out of my Anthem D2 and into my PC. Granted, I haven't looked into it much. But, heck, I could even do that on a couple of the albums I bought from you specifically, that'd be a cool experiment!

16. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

That would be great to hear since I have rips of those on other carts

17. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Come and listen. I'm 100 miles North of SF

18. Doctorcilantro

Doctorcilantro Forum Resident

I have been really enjoying the sound of the ART-7 + Allnic H1201 (on highest gain). Low surface noise with the Audiomods V. I'm looking at some new E180CC for the Allnic as I sold some years back that folks gushed at.

I can't do any need drops as I sold the PS Audio DSD recorder, and mainly just listen. If anyone wants to PM some decent cheaper AIO boxes, I have been out of the game too long but kinda want to do some again. Easier if it could right to SD card....

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  19. avanti1960

The ART 7 is probably AT's way of offering offering a more dynamic version of the ART 9 (lower output= fewer coil windings= less moving mass= more dynamic groove tracing). As long as you have a high quality phono pre to support it, sounds like a winner. Would you agree about the dynamics?

20. Doctorcilantro

Doctorcilantro Forum Resident

Yes, the old Pablo recordings really shine with this setup.

21. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Been breaking in a ART 9 for a couple weeks now as a replacement for a Dynavector 20X2L. So far this thing is great.

bluemooze, avanti1960 and HiFi Guy like this.
  22. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I've listened to vinyldoneright's ART 7 and it has to be one of the brightest carts I've ever heard. The AT33PTG/II runs circles around it.

bluemooze likes this.
  23. avanti1960

Do you still have the Dyna? If it needs a new stylus send it to soundsmith for the ruby cantilever (~$300). Them compare it to the art 9.

24. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I don't think I'll do that as I'm so happy with the ART9 right now. I don't want to spend 300 dollars when I don't have to.

25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

What do you listen to and how would you describe the differences between the two? Are there any aspects the Dyna does better than the ART9?