Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I understand what you are saying, now...and I agree some what. I guess I have a problem with "artificial". Even tho I would say it doesn't sound real, because it doesn't sound real. lol! But truth be told, its just not resolving enough on some of the higher complex frequencies. But lots of carts in that price range aint resolving enough.

2. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

@avanti1960

Is the only way to contact LP Gear through emails and fax? I could not find a number to call and speak with anyone.

3. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Fax, really? They are ALL IN on the whole analog thing.

Rolltide likes this.
  4. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

Did you try the listed Pager number from the website?

5. Methodical

Assuming this is a funny.

This is all I see under "Contact Us"
    LP Gear: Contact Us

6. Methodical

Meaning too high or too low?

7. Methodical

These are my kind of friends. I'd be able to get some really high end gear much cheaper.

I know an older gentleman who goes for the newer photography lenses and I am right there to get his old, yet mint condition gear, cheap.

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

that it's too low! e.g. it only costs XXX, how can it be any good? people preferred it to several cartridges $2000.00 and up.

HiFi Guy and ted321 like this.
  9. avanti1960

i e-mailed them, they responded fast. they also lowered the price $160 right after i received mine and they sent me the difference in a credit.

HiFi Guy and ted321 like this.
  10. Methodical

I emailed them yesterday and they responded quickly.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  11. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

My purchase from them went well. Only thing was the "Free Ship" was snail mail.

12. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I just bought from them and their free ship was USPS Priority. Maybe they upped their game.

ted321 likes this.
  13. Slippers-on

So you like chasing sound as well?

14. Methodical

Nah, just like to get a good deal whenever I can.

I have settled on my sounds for the next 10+ years now - new HT equipment, TT, needle, speakers. Next up UHD TV and then I am done.

This was the HT upgrade year for me; I've had the same old HT system for about 12+ years, so no chaser at all.

15. Methodical

Whatcha buy?

16. Methodical

Good to know. I purchased one.

ted321 and avanti1960 like this.
  17. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

A cheapie until I can figure out what I want. Might be changing TTs as well. I picked up a LP Gear Vessel 3SE.

18. avanti1960

Congrats!

ted321 likes this.
  19. Methodical

Thanks.

20. Methodical

@avanti1960

The instructions sheet has the cartridge test parameters. Is there anything I can glean from it and possibly use to setup the preamp. I can barely read it though. As of now, I have the gain at 60 and input loading at 100 Ohms (base on ATs 100 Ohm minimum requirement)

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  21. avanti1960

don't think so. 60db and 100 ohms are great starting points. some have recommended maximum VTF until broken in (100 hrs). VTA is very critical.
    Let's see some pics and impressions!

22. Methodical

Thanks @avanti1960 .

First impression.

Installation:
    The person that came up with the idea that to install this cart you screw from the bottom and use smooth nuts (i.e. no hex nut to make grip'g a little easier ) at the top should have to wipe their butts with 40 grit sandpaper. It was not difficult to install, however, after installing Ortofon carts, you know how easier it can/should be - guess I got spoiled. They should take a page out of Ortofon's book with regard to threaded bodies. I'm glad they provide a needle cover to protect it during install.

Sound:
    I'm running through some music now to put some break in time under it's belt, however, I can say that the bass was not as bad as I thought it would be after reading your initial thoughts, however, the bass doesn't seem as deep/boomy, but more refined, but hits pretty hard. I use the Brothers Johnson "Stomp" song (are you familiar with this song?) to evaluate bass. As I said, it was not as deep/boomy, if you will, but seem more refined. I guess you can say it's kind of making my ported subs hybrid sealed sub as far as bass goes. I am a highs, cymbal, hi hat type of guy and those sound pretty good. Again, I am going through some music now to put it some seat time.

Of course, I have to increase volume just a little bit more to get where the MM cart was. I also read to set VTF to max, but my thinking was set up via recommendation for break in. So, it's ok to go max of the VTF?

Photos:

Balancing Act (here I got the arm balanced with the TT). I decided to put the rubber mat back on the TT as my reference starting point as I plan to play around with mat sizes to see if/how they affect my system's sound.
    [​IMG]
    Aligning cart (it may not look like it but I made sure the needle was on the line)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mreeter and cadeallaw like this.
  23. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Methodical, It looks like you're running the cartridge tail down, and substantially so. Of course it's hard to tell with precision from the photos. The general consensus for this cartridge is that it should be run tail up, so when you try to set VTA/SRA you might start from level and go up.

24. Methodical

Which photo are you referring to? I know the rubber mat can makes it sit that way.

25. Slippers-on

I think its the photo that makes it look like that.....Could be wrong, but if hes not messed with the arm at all MH sets them spot on. Meth mi man...you might want to consider one of the Music Hall mats..The Cork Record Mat or the Aztec Blue Record Mat

.Music Hall - Cork Record Mat | Shop Music Direct