Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. SounderMN

SounderMN Well-Known Member

You are correct. What I meant is that it's a good replacement for the 6922 in the Chinook.

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

one up for auction right now...looks like a good deal

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

After going through all the ART9 posts, I finally went ahead and ordered one. Its going to replace my Denon DL-301mk2. I was thinking of getting a Lyra Delos. But this cart seems to good to pass up.
    Cheers, Doug

bluemooze and ted321 like this.
  4. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

Ordered this on Tuesday fron 2juki and it is already here! I'm impressed!
    Cheers, Doug

bluemooze likes this.
  5. padreken

padreken Senior Member

My current cart is the DL-301mk2, I'd be interested in reading your comparison of the 2. Congrats!

6. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

Thinking about the DL-301mk2. Interested in thoughts of current users. I’m currently using a first gen high output Benz Glider. Had it 15 years or so, thinking it’s time to move on.

7. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

Well I got 6hrs on this cart so far. It has very similar dimensions to the Dl-301 so instalation was a snap. Oh, I stuck a little dab of blue tack on the nuts and stuck in place on the cart so screwing the screws from the top was a breeze! Oh man, the magnet on this thing could pick up nails from a roofing job! Anyways the first thing I noticed was the soundstage; how huge it is! And the soundstage on the DL-301 is no slouch. The ART9 has better highs, detail and bass than the DL-301. But then again its in a different snack bracket! And everybody kept asking me how much better can it get? It was hard to imagine cause the Denon is a great cart for the price. I just wanted a cart to end my quest for a great table/cart combo; to retire with. I read that it takes up to 100hrs to fully break-in. Oh, the first thing that I noticed when I played a old Nancy Sinatra record was the BLAT from the horns! Just great!
    Cheers, Doug

8. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Really happy with mine. Previous cart was an Ortofon 2m blue, which I was pretty happy with initially. When I upgraded my speakers from Vandersteen 2ce signatures to the 2ce sig II's, it was quite the difference-the original sigs had a warmish, rich sound that mated well with the Ortofon. When I first got the Sig II's it was something of a shock-they sounded bright and forward by comparison with all sources, less objectionable with vinyl than digital but still pretty obvious even after break in of the speakers. The Sig II's were clearly giving me a more honest/transparent window on the music. When I got the Denon, it was a Goldilocks moment, just right. It tracked even difficult inner tracks well with no IGD and even pretty bright on top rock albums were enjoyable listens (think Rockpile's Seconds of Pleasure). It was a real lesson for me in the importance of both individual preference and system synergy.

maglorine likes this.
  9. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

Still a happy customer here.

I had a scare a few months back as the music was sounding crazy and I could not figure out the problem. I made some changes to the setup, including the preamp - still no change. So, I broke out the AT 607 and cleaned the needle (old school here) and that did the trick. What's interesting is I could not see any buildup on the needle and I used the Onzow Zero Dust with no success, but obviously some build up was there. I've not had that problem since I started vacuum cleaning. It may be time for another AT 607 cleaning.

A Grover Washington, Jr. day (sounding good)

Winelight
    Live at the Bijou
    Mr. Magic

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I had the exact issue with another AT cart. A forum member suggested the same...I “knew” it wasn’t going to work because the stylus looked perfect...and what do you know, it fixed the problem! I think this is a character prominent in the AT line. I have a Soundsmith on a VPI table now and it never does that, but I’m sure every mfg has it’s own particular quirks.

11. Methodical

That's interesting, so I'm not alone on this one. I was worried I'd have to send it back to Japan or whereever dude is from on Ebay. As a matter of fact, I'm going to give it a round of AT 607 now that I am thinking about it.

12. avanti1960

good stories. i have used at607 or the stanton equivalent as regular maintenance, 1x week or so. it is a reality that we need some stylus friendly solvent to remove the stubborn stuff that bonds to the stylus regardless of cartridge. possibly certain profile shapes are more susceptible to the effects of build up.

13. Methodical

I was concerned with using the 607 too often because I read it may damage the needle bond, so I've only used it twice, when I first go it and when I had the issue. Is this true or a myth?

14. avanti1960

i can't say for sure if over use of certain solvents to clean the stylus would damage the bond. i can say for sure that regular occasional use of reputable solvents designed for the purpose have never caused a problem for me in decades of playing LPs.

15. Piotrek

Piotrek Active Member

Hi.
    Is it worth buying 2 years old with about 600hrs used art9 cartrige for half the price of new?
    Thank you for any advice

16. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

700 Quid for a new one , 600hours would have to be cheap & you never know if the mileage is correct on a 2nd hand MC

17. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I would not give more than 200.00 for one listed like that

18. Piotrek

Piotrek Active Member

Thanks a lot! It makes sense

19. tategoi

tategoi Member

Took the plunge after reading this thread. Coming from 2M Black, first impression of the AT9: open, thin and bright.

20. avanti1960

I would say to give it some "time" but my ART 9 never sounded thin.
    Check your VTA- the ART9 is sensitive to tonearm height. "Tail" too high and it will sound bright and thin.
    Check your resistive loading. 100 Ohms is a great place to start.
    Check your gain- it likes to start with ~ 56 db. Any higher and it thins out the sound.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. tategoi

tategoi Member

You are right the tail is indeed slightly higher than horizontal but that’s the lowest my tone-arm can go. I’m still using the stock rubber mat of 1200G, perhaps it is time I go get the 5mm Funk Firm.

22. avanti1960

bluemooze likes this.
  23. avanti1960

what head shell are you using? you should be OK with the stock headshell (recommended). I do not recommend the FF mat. Bass was hollow and weak om my GR.

24. tategoi

tategoi Member

My headshell is a Jelco HS-30. The 2M Black is currently on the stock headshell.

25. avanti1960

Very nice headshell but it raises the position of the cartridge compared to the stock headshell- and you run out of travel trying to lower the tonearm for VTA. Most aftermarket headshells put the cartridge higher for some reason.