Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

I really did like the bronze... i'm going to wait to formulate an opinion until i've had a few more hours with it. Right now, sounds good... I really didn't have many complaints about the Bronze, the Art9 sounds a little less harsh in the highs though. Its a little difficult to do an honest comparison between the two right now (with equipment i'm familiar with) because i'm also demoing a pair of 1972 Klipsch Cornwall IIs in place of my Wharfedale Jade 5s (looking into getting a speaker that would be more compatible with the Octave V 70 SE that I demoed last week):
    [​IMG]

snorker likes this.
  2. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Active Member

I found the Bronze to be far too bright, but I probably could have tamed that with a different tube choice.

But it's well defined, so a good cart if it works in your system.

avanti1960 and HiFi Guy like this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

can you describe how it sounds and what you like about the sound in your system?

4. rocky dennis

rocky dennis Forum Resident

Just ordered the ART9. It will be replacing a Delos, which I think is a very fine cart, but the stylus is showing signs of wear. Looking forward to hearing what the ART9 can do.

avanti1960 and HiFi Guy like this.
  5. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

avanti1960, Since you re running an Art9 I'm not sure why you need to hear from me. My opinion may be somewhat inaccurate in that I changed to a new arm tube (VPI3d) about a week after receiving the cartridge so I'm really describing the combo. But I began to appreciate the cartridge even on the old arm--and even unbroken-in.

First, I have to say, it is a great tracker. Others have already pointed to its sibilant control. As a classical music fan I appreciate the tracking especially at the end of a side where the volume is often the highest. I would guess this has something to do with the relatively high compliance, the cantilever (which seems as thin as a human hair) and the relatively tiny stylus. But on to the sound, and only as compared to what I was using. Seems to be clear, or more clear, of resonances so no emphasis on any part of the spectrum. Highs are all there and unfatiguing, lows are there if on the recording. More sound of the recording space if on the record. Separation of instruments especially in complex orchestrations. Instruments seem to pop forward where they should. Soundstage wider than before and wider than speakers. Azimuth seems easy to set for stylus and cantilever seem perfectly aligned, something not often found. I set it by mirrored reflection of the cartridge body on the disk and it seems to be right on the money. Details on familiar recordings that I've not heard before. Great midrange; appropriate sheen on violin sections. I guess that will do for now.

Interesting to me that this not inexpensive cartridge has become kind of "popular" in spite of its total non-coverage by the audio press. Just word of mouth on a forum or two. Kind of makes the press irrelevant.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  6. avanti1960

Thanks, I am just curious to see how you like it. It's interesting to hear how others are experiencing the same audio components that you have.
    Nice summary.

7. avanti1960

I was not extremely impressed with the dynamics of the ART9 but what a difference a good phono stage with lots of clean gain can make.
    I had been using 56db of gain only because it is the "textbook" setting for the .5mv output voltage. Dynamics are good but not as good as my other LOMCs.
    I bumped the gain to 66db and wow, what a huge difference. Added a significant amount of power, dynamic range as well as micro dynamics. More musical burst energy. Now equal to that of my DV cartridge. Since the ART9 was already superior in other categories (tonality, lack of sibilance and especially sound stage size) with the added dynamics it increased its lead.

nitsuj likes this.
  8. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Not to be rude and there certainly is a lot of room for other aspects in this hobby, but I can't keep from wondering after all this time with this cart if you guys are listening to gear or listening to music?

Elofan and Strat-Mangler like this.
  9. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

"Not to be rude"??? Really?
    This forum is called "Audio Hardware". So that's what I discuss here. I go to other forums to discuss music, and I do that a lot!

Elofan and nitsuj like this.
  10. Slippers-on

I see what I said went completely over your head.

11. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Who let Alan Parsons in here?

:D :pineapple:

12. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

13. avanti1960

Unfortunately it's both- and not limited to the cart.
    I was listening to internet radio at work (through cheap sony ear buds) and they played Santana "Dance Sister Dance". It sounded really good- good enough to focus on the song- I loved it. Man, I thought, I hadn't played that album in at least 25 years (if not more).
    Since I actually just cleaned all of my old Santana records, I brought this record out to play.
    Instantly I was distracted from the music because the record sounded low fi. Bad mastering, bad recording, bad mix- whatever- it distracted from the music. So the quest for sound quality reaches well beyond the hardware- and into the quality of the media.
    I wish I could help it and not be so particular but I can't- where do you draw the line?
    Sometimes I believe I was happier in the older days with my pioneer receiver, polk monitors and technics p-mount turntable.

hi_watt likes this.
  14. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'm the other way around. Music in my car is ok, but the better ny system gets, the worse it sounds. I've finally gotten my system close to where I want it. A new table and an ART9 and I'm done. Poor recordings don't bother me- I'm hearing them closer to as perfect as they can be.

15. avanti1960

I am usually OK with poor recordings- but the fact that an internet radio broadcast and a set of sony ear buds sounded better than my old record on my home system- the comparison really floored me! It was the contrast that distracted me so much. Now I want to seek out a better version of that Santana LP if possible (or maybe even the CD!)

16. Pani

Pani New Member

Whatever be the reason, it is not uncommon to find an album or a song's digital version played on FM radio sounding better than our LP. It should be the mastering. A good analog setup (especially one which does not have unnecessary resonances built in to sound hifi) is still the king and is the key to long term satisfaction

avanti1960 and Slippers-on like this.
  17. Slippers-on

Yeah I feel ya, there....and thanks for not taking it the wrong way.

But truth be told....we throw away good money due to listening to gear rather than music. Most of my friends in my city change out very expensive gear year after year because they're chasing something they will never find...perfect audio sound. We can come close but not 100% and we discover this after chasing and throwing good money after what can't be found. I stopped chasing years ago. I know what my system is capable of. I stopped looking for the most popular, what was the most expensive and best known brands and started looking for sound quality/ best bang for $$$ when I put together what I have now. That was back in 2007. Before then I was out the hobby for about 15 years. Before that I was in hook, line and sinker...and boy, back in the day I believe I sunk...spending and chasing for something that's not ever to be found. these days I listen to gear only when its first introduced into my system to make sure its satisfying to my soul....if in the negative, out it goes and the hunt continues.....if in the positive...I just get into the music. vanti1960...have a great weekend.

DeepFloyd11, Catcher10 and avanti1960 like this.
  18. Slippers-on

Thats what its all about for some of us...getting of that merry-go-round. But if one still likes to buy new gear as much as possible, I cant really point fingers either...been there, done that as well.

19. Slippers-on

Here ya go, bro!
    180g Audiophile Vinyl Mastered by Friday Music's Joe Reagoso With Kevin Gray at RTI/AcousTech From Original Columbia Records Tapes!
    Santana Moonflower 180g 2LP-Elusive Disc

avanti1960 likes this.
  20. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

I got mine about 10 days ago. 30-40 hours in. Unlike many of you the ART9 is a significant upgrade for me. Never have I heard any of the fine cartridges mentioned here. Above my paygrade! Been using the AT 33EV for past 6-7 years. The cartridge I just removed had to have 1500 hours on it and I could tell it was time for it to go. I'm retired so I've got plenty of time to listen!

Anyway I decided it was time for an upgrade. Have been buying Audio Technica cartridges since the mid 70s, always very happy, although I do regret limiting myself and not hearing other good brands. Noticed this thread when it started and have avidly followed it as well as the one on Audiogon. I'm not going to provide a detailed analysis as others have done a very good job doing so. Further as I said this is an upgrade for me so unless it really sucked, of course it was going to sound good to me. I will say that my records never sounded so good. All that has been said here and on Audiogon is right on the money! I'd like to thank avanti1960 and oregonpapa at Audiogon for starting the discussions and helping to turn the world on to this fabulous cartridge.

Leigh, avanti1960, smctigue and 2 others like this.
  21. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Too bad there is no dislike option here.

smctigue and Seafinch like this.
  22. avanti1960

the guy that started it all is the one a few posts up- pani- the ART9 legend!

ted321 likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Perhaps someone should tell Ortofon they should be doing the same. AT do produce the best value product these days. The ART 9 is related to the OC9 in design while the AT 33SA is an upgraded 33E or PTG design. I would expect presentation to differ. Other 33 series sound smoother while retaining most of the detail of the OC9. The high end AT models are a much better deal in the UK than top Ortofon models assuming even equal performance.

ted321 likes this.
  24. rocky dennis

rocky dennis Forum Resident

I received my ART9 from LPgear last week. Mounted it on my VPI 10-inch arm. First of all, it ain't an easy cart to set up, especially aligning it because of the tiny cantilever hidden underneath the body, unlike the Delos with the long nude cantilever in front of the body. I don't look forward to re-mounting the ART9 when I receive my VPI 3d arm in a couple of weeks.

Right off the bat, the ART9 sounds impressive. It pulls a lot of detail from the grooves. I can tell already it plays on the same level as the Lyra Delos. On some recordings the ART9 sounds too bright, but I expect the brightness to tame down as it breaks in (based on my experience breaking in other carts). So far, I'd say it has a more neutral character than the Delos, which sounds warm compared to the ART9, which surprised me. (Side note: I didn't particular like the Lyra Helikon when I heard it. It sounded too analytical. I thought that was the Lyra sound, until I heard the Skala, which had a more balanced sound, not as warm as the Dynavector cart I had the time, but definitely more refined. The Delos's sound is more like the Skala than the Helikon, but I never thought of it as a warm cartridge.) The Delos also seems to minimize the ticks and other imperfections in the vinyl better than the ART9 to this point. Again, it's possible that the ART9 can improve as it breaks in in this regard. I've got a little over 10 hours on it. There was a short period when the cart sounded a little tizzy, but that cleared up quickly.

Overall, the ART9 has a real coherent, detailed presentation, nice soundstage and sense of flow. I'll report back after 50 hours--that's when I think most carts settle into their true character, with incremental improvements thereafter.

avanti1960, Cliff and ted321 like this.
  25. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Nah, these nerds just like the wires, and them little screws... :laugh::sigh: