Audio-Technica AT-LP140XP / TECHNICS SL 1210 MK7 - Questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sathvyre, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac Thread Starter

Last year, I bought the Audio-Technica AT-LP140XP turntable and I am very happy with that one. Now I want to use an MC system (AT33PTG/II) and recognized a very low hum in the 50Hz area (especially when I move the tone arm from the border to the centre of the plate...and no, it's neither my phono preamp nor my cables).
    Sure, the hum is very low and below the signal of the record (below the surface noise), but it is still there.
    Is there anybody out there who did comparison between the AT-LP140XP and the TECHNICS SL 1210 MK7 for example ??? I am thinking about an upgrade, but it makes only sense when the power supply doesn't have any hum at all. Otherwise the Audio-Technica turntable is a really nice one. Thank you very much.

2. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Does the hum go away when you switch the motor off? What about when you turn off the power? If yes to one of those questions, does the hum get stronger when cartridge is lowered to the record? If so, you may be able to shield the cartridge from the electronics below the platter, some direct drive tables do have issues with shielding when using sensitive cartridges, even some of the very high end models. I've seen some people resort to a layer of mu-metal shielding between the platter surface and the mat, which can be an effective magnetic shield.

3. sathvyre

Yes, the hum is only audible when the power knob is on...not more hum audible when the motor is working. It seems to be the power supply which intersperses (is this the right word ???) with the cartridges.
    The hum is audible as soon as the power is active. It gets a little louder when you turn the tone arm to the middle of the plate...

4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Did you check the headshell? Perhaps this could be the headshell connection to the tonearm or its four wires.

5. sathvyre

I also recognized that the hum is slightly louder on the left channel (with all cartridges I tested).

6. sathvyre

Everything fine with the headshell and cable connections. As I said, the hum is below the surface noise of a vinyl record, but it is still there....

7. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

It's not really conclusive whether it is power supply interacting with the cartridge, or just some ground hum. You are using a lot more gain with the LOMC cartridge, so the hum will be amplified too. I'd still experiment with the grounding between turntable and preamp before doing anything else, along with moving the cables and preamp.

8. sathvyre

I use very high quality and espensive Horn cables:

"ODIN" -Phono RCA-

No hum on the cables itself.
    I use the internal preamp of my Yamaha AX-550 amplifier (MM/MC compatible). This one has also no hum. As soon as I turn the power on the turntable on (and turn the volume of my amplifier as loud as possible), I can hear the hum (slightly louder on the left channel).

9. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

It’s the Turntable.

I owned a LP-1240, same exact thing.

Now I have a Technics 1210GR, dead quiet and same components, cables, outlet, preamp...etc.

McLover and punkmusick like this.
  10. sathvyre

Ok, thank you very much. I will check the 1210 MK7 tomorrow.

11. sathvyre

As I don't really need all these extras: What do you think of the SL-1500C turntable ? Did you ever check it ?

woodpigeon likes this.
  12. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

No, but I am sure its a decent table.

Personally I would buy the MK7 instead, but I am sure the 1500 is nice too.

13. Try lifting the turntable to pre ground wire. I use to have a hum in my AT-150MLX, removing the ground wire eliminated the problem for me.

14. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Might sound obvious, but instead of a MC cart perhaps upgrade to a better MM cart. The specs of the 140 are not much different than the MK 7. It is mostly the name and where the 140 comes from that people use to hate on it. In truth there is very little difference. The 1200 has a better tonearm and some better manufacturing tolerances certainly, but they are not huge differences in the grand scheme. With a quality mat, record clamp and cart, you will probably get 90% of the way to a Technics with the 140, if the other 10% is worth it to you, by all means upgrade. Obviously just one opinion among many.

Stanton56 and bru87tr like this.
  15. sathvyre

Today I had the chance to check the SL-1210 MK7. It has no hum. I compared with my AT-LP140XP which has hum. The only bad thing on the 1210 MK7 is the fact that the dust cover can't be attached to the chassis of the turntable...what a stupid decision...because as far as I know, the old 1210 had it...
    Now I ordered the 1500 C and I hope that it will also have no hum...that was the only reason to think about buying a new turntable. Otherwise, the AT-LP140XK is a very nice unit...but as I said earlier, I like the sound of the AT33PTG/II MC cartridge (especially for digitizing some vinyl records) and I don't want to use some tools to remove the hum...I want to digitize without any unwanted noises.

old music lover and bru87tr like this.
  16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I will agree with you on the MM cart. But the the AT turntables cant hold a candle to the Technics.

You arent getting 90% close. I had the 1240 and it might be 50% close and thats being nice.

sathvyre likes this.
  17. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I was talking specs. Which in truth, some are better than the Technics. Is the Technics a better table, obviously. Is it three times the cost better, I'm not sure. As far as tables in the 140XP cost range it certainly holds it's own. I compared a Project Debut Carbon using the same cart as a 140XP and personally like the 140XP better. Having used both the 140XP and the 1240, the 140 is a better table strictly sound wise using the same carts in my opinion. To many people are comparing the AT 120 to the 140XP. They are different enough in important areas to be thought of differently. Obviously, just my opinions, but based on using them all at one time or another. If I was in the market for a new table after saying all that, I'd probably go with the Technics MK7 in the end,, for longevity and overall quality. In the 140XP price range, it's kind of a toss up and comes down to personal prererence honestly not a huge difference sound quality wise in the lower price range, in my opinion.

Stanton56 and bru87tr like this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Any Hanpin deck has a transformer board mounted under the top plate and will likely cause some hum with MC cartridges. Not that intrusive with the Pioneer PLX 1000 but I noticed a buzz noise switching the plater on or off (not an issue with MM). There is no hum caused by the power supply of the Technics 1200G and GR (don't know if Mk7 is essentially similar design). However there is a low level buzz (MC) with the G related to the arm only which is just obvious above the hiss you always get on phono inputs (It's virtually not there at all with Orbe SME combo). Likely down to wiring (earth) or headshell but have changed external wires and tried different headshells without making much difference. Very low level but not optimum based on experience. I wouldn't expect the Mk7 will be optimal with MC as far as noise is concerned. It is more designed for DJ use while the G and GR are aimed at audiophiles. I have to say none of these issues I have encountered using DD turntables intruded while music is playing.

19. sathvyre

Can we go back to the regular thread please ? Thank you very much.

20. Dane Argentini

Dane Argentini Forum Resident

As you discovered, the new Technics turntables have changed from the old analog power supplies to digital, thus the lack of background noise and hum. Enjoy your new 1500C.

sathvyre likes this.
  21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I had a Technics SL-1200 Mk II in the past. Didn't hum with LOMC cartridges from Denon, Ortofon, and even a loaned Koetsu Black. I figure if I had access to these cartridges, I'd get the same performance out of the SL-1500 I use daily.

sathvyre likes this.
  22. Cubdukat

Cubdukat Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but AT actively discourages using any LOMC cartridge on the 140. I was going to upgrade to either the OC9XML or the Hana EL, but I needed to find out what the effective mass on the tonearm was. That's when the tech told me that they don't recommend using any LOMC with the 140. I thought that was strange, considering they recommend the lesser 120XUSB, but after hearing that the transformer's in the chassis instead of in the wall-wart like on the 120, that makes sense. Instead, I'm looking into HOMC carts, which unfortunately takes me away from AT, so right now my upgrade to MC is on hold until I can either upgrade to a 1200 Mk7 (or a 1200 in general), a 1500c, or an answer to whether I'd be better off with a good MM instead if I'm even considering HOMCs...I mean, the VM95ML I have now is decent, but there has to be something better out there that will work with it; apparently with the effective mass specs the 140 has, there's very little out there that will work with it optimally, if at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.