Audio Technica AT-LP7

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Albert0, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert0

Albert0 Active Member Thread Starter

Hello All -

I am new to the forum ( and just recently got back to vinyl after a VERY long hiatus) and am looking at adding a second TT (even though my RT81 seems to be working-out rather well).

However, just like any music nut, I am always looking for the next upgrade to my setup.

Anyone have an Audio Technica AT-LP7 that they can shed some light on?

Since its so new, I can't seem to find much info on it besides at the manufacturer's site.

I like its features and it fits my budget but I surely don't want to plop-down 800 bucks for a piece of junk.

So, I figured I'd ask the masses, here.

Eventually, I hope to gravitate to the Rega 6 (when finances allow me to do so) but for now, I am looking for something that will be a significant upgrade from the RT81 and that can convert my vinyl to zeroes and ones.

I've learned much from reading various posts in the forum and geez, I didn't realize how much of a science listening to vinyl can be! (especially when it comes to phono stages).

Any feedback or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

Personally, I think you could do better than the LP7. It's got a built-in phono stage that may or may not be bypassable, as well as that crappy Hanpin tonearm that almost always has issues with anti-skate. If the Rega P6 is what you really want, just save your money for that. No sense in plopping down that much change for a turntable that you only plan on keeping intermittently until you reach your end goal. If you insist on getting something right now though, perhaps try the Rega P3. Many have said it compares quite favorably to the 6 and can be improved with many aftermarket upgrades should you get the "bug" again down the road.

Leonthepro and nosliw like this.
  3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Like @Disionity said. But if you like the look or style of the LP seies then Id suggest looking for an SL1200 model instead. Its what all these brands are trying to copy anyway and should be cheaper for you.

pexie likes this.
  4. Jack Francis

Jack Francis Forum Resident

I bought an LP-5 about a year ago for a little more than half the price ($450). I have two young kids, and so the direct drive appealed as a living room player w/ jumping kids around, it's much more resilient to skipping (basically: never) than a nice belt drive. The player sounds fine, and for $450 makes sense (to me) given that it's meant to be an all-purpose delivery for vinyl and not a hi fi performer. Subjectively, the physical platform of this model series (cursory research suggests the LP-7 and LP-5 are based on the same foundations) doesn't suggest an $800 player. In other words, one of the appeals of the LP-5 for me was the value.

I would say that I don't have any anti-skate issues w/ the tonearm. Paired w/ an AT VM740ML fwiw.

If I was looking for a belt drive table and had $800 of ready money to spend I'd be very tempted to find some way to hold out for better options that come with a wee bit more money, or scour the used market. My office player is a 100% functional, but kinda crusty Thorens TD-115 (not a model reputed for high performance in Thorens history), but it sounds pretty fabulous overall. Something like that is (in my opinion) a better way to spend close to $1k.

pexie and H8SLKC like this.
  5. Albert0

I really appreciate the feedback, Gents. Keep it coming!

As I am in no hurry to upgrade (as my RT81 is working just fine), and the fact that I tend to be a research junkie, with certainty, I will be taking all of your advice into consideration. The Rega P3 (its a real looker) and the SL1200 appeal to me (as I believe Leonthepro is suggesting looking for a used 1200, since brand new, those things are getting almost into the $2K range??) . I don't know much about Thorens except that they have been around since dirt. Are they the "de facto" of modern-day turntables? Do they stand-out more than their competition, and if so, why?

Thanks!

6. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Licorice pizza and H8SLKC like this.
  7. muckyfingers

muckyfingers Forum Resident

I fell in love with the look of the AT- LP7 the first time I saw a picture of it, so I ordered it. I’ve had it a few days now and am very happy with it, it is a definite upgrade from my previous table, a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with acrylic platter.

The AT-LP7 runs super quiet and spins at exact speeds according to the RPM app on my phone. The stock cartridge sounds good to my ears, but I’ve been itching to try a Nagaoka MP-110 for awhile. The only “issue” I had was dialing in the anti skate, setting the tracking for to 2g and the anti skate to 2 as well resulted in some distortion in the right channel. I had to dial it up by ear up to about 2.5 on the anti skate for it to disappear.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  8. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

9. Albert0

krisjay likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.