Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II vs. AT33SA Cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snorker, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Check the AT ART9. Proven winner.
    Post Edit- running it on a 10.1g tonearm and zero issues or complaints FWIW.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  2. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

There was a poster in the Audiogon discussion threads on the Art9 that had a 1200GAE, and he went with the Art9, just checked and he seemed to only post in the Art9 threads, so might not be around there anymore, moniker was aragonx5. The thing about the compliance numbers that @missan alludes to above is that the dynamic and static numbers supplied on the AT site don't really make sense, at least when normalized to 10Hz with the generally accepted methods. So, who knows? Someone must've measured their tonearm resonance frequency by now, but you could always go with a lighter headshell for the Art9 if the compliance is a problem.

snorker likes this.
  3. avanti1960

- Static compliance: 35 × 10-6 cm/dyne
    - Dynamic compliance: 18 × 10-6 cm/dyne (100Hz)
    With your 12gm tonearm and the 8.8gm ART9 your resonant frequency is a near perfect~ 9Hz @ 18cu.

4. snorker

snorker Big Daddy Thread Starter

The 18 figure is probably wrong...you're supposed to multiply that by 1.5-2 to use with this calculator. So the 9 figure that other website lists makes more sense, and is closer to the 10 listed for the other AT cartridges. And at 9 × 10-6 cm/dyne (100Hz) it's a good match for the SL-1200G arm. I emailed LP gear to try to get to the bottom of it.

avanti1960 likes this.
  5. Richard Crawford

Richard Crawford New Member

Did you ever hear back from LP gear?

Has anyone tried to confirm with AT?

6. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Did you buy the SA?

7. snorker

I didn’t. I wound up with a Benz Micro Wood SL and I absolutely love it.

punkmusick and Davey like this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Here's a Benz link that could turn out to be a nice buy for someone, might have to make an offer on this myself, love that sound, though I might not have quite enough gain directly into my CJ Premier 15 tube preamp unless I connect the SUT I'm using right now on the AT33PTG/II into my other CJ FET preamp, hmmm, this hobby has too many dilemmas ... Benz Ebony Low Output

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    snorker likes this.
  9. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

FWIW I was using the AT33EV for nearky a year and was quite happy with it. But a few weeks ago I picked up a Sumiko Blue EVO III and it was a huge difference for the better. Wider soundstage, much greater bass and far more definition and dimension. The Sumiko is not unlike the Denon 301 MKII I have on another table, but cannot directly compare as they’re on opposite sides of the country.

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I finally unboxed my 33SA and replaced the 33EV. I was suspicious the cantilever was tracking too low and some debris caused it to jump and skate across an LP with no damage fortunately. Well now it's wearing in the SA is quite a revelation (even accounting for the EV being past it's best by some way). Perhaps I paid more attention to careful set up but there is far more detail without the brightness associated with ML tips. Bass more precise and even better extended.

11. snorker

Very nice. That looks like a good cartridge for the price...I really appreciate the boron cantilevers.

Incidentally, I heard an AT-ART 1000 today at my local dealer. A bit pricey, but it sounds very nice. Detailed, but not analytical. Very smooth.

12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Installed my SA today. Despite four years of AT33PTG/II ownership, am sitting here gobsmacked.

doak, Seafinch and GreatTone like this.
  13. snorker

Meaning it's a big improvement over the AT33PTG/II? Interesting. How do they differ, other than the stylus tip?

Heckto35 likes this.
  14. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

I don't have much to compare to, a Nag MP110 and some older Shure and AT carts, but after getting the 33Sa on my 1200GR OMG OMG OMG :D I'd replace it with the exact same thing every time.
    Of course I may try others down the road but there's no need for my listening. I guess what I'm saying is this cart is awesome.

GreatTone likes this.
  15. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It was with a certain reluctance that I took my AT33PTG/II off the tonearm this morning, it’s been a marvellous companion for the past almost four years.

So far the SA has been at least its equal and it’s very early days. The sound is rich and detailed, the tracking impeccable - and I’m sure it could be aligned better. It's a very full sound - even at the lowest amp setting, it’s filling the room, late in the evening and commanding your attention. Can’t wait to get an even better and longer rattle at it tomorrow.

One thing I will say at this early stage (as I’m sure it has a lot more to give) - I tried playing a track by Traffic tonight. For four years I’ve been trying to play this without the AT33PTG/II sticking at the chorus owing to an near invisible scratch.

The SA just sailed though it without batting an eyelid.

16. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Added a Linn Karousel to that AT33Sa today !

17. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Congrats!

jeff

18. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

FWIW, I purchased the ATOC9ML/II slightly used here in the classifieds. The seller told me he decided to sell it since he also had the AT33PTGII and couldn't really hear a difference between the two. I've ben very happy with it, it was an improvement over the Denon DL-301II I had been using, and I really liked the Denon. A bigger soundstage and more detail were apparent right away.

Heckto35, Doctorwu and snorker like this.
  19. I've been using the AT-33PTG/II for a while and love it. Seeing the comments regarding AT-33Sa performance caused me make a change on my other TT, I installed my AT-150MLX with an ATN150Sa Shibata stylus. Having lots of fun trying to decide which I like better.

Heckto35 likes this.
  20. avanti1960

21. snorker

Thanks. I'd considered an AT-150MLX before too. Did you notice a difference when you changed from the ML stylus to the Shibata?

22. Oh yeah, the ML is very actuate, I've always called it my "Deep Tracker" it seems to pick up less surface noise. Search the AT-150MLX there a lot of reviews written by gifted writers. The ATN150Sa stylus is not that costly and is wonderful. It's detailed without being bright, the instrument is typical of Shibata, very nice. Being able to switch out stylus is one of the major benefits of MM cartridges.

23. snorker

Agreed. After a dalliance with more expensive moving coil cartridges I've really come to appreciate good moving magnets -- not only for user replaceable styli, but also for the generally superior tracking. My favorites are the early 80s Stanton and Pickering designs. They have amazing sound and the best tracking of almost any cartridge, ever. Unfortunately the OEM styli are no longer available, and the aftermarket replacements are definitely inferior.

So am I correct in assuming that although you enjoy the ATN150SA, you find the ATN150MLX with its microcline stylus to be a bit of an improvement, at least in terms of tracking performance? I know that stylus is no longer available, but just curious since you have both.

24. No, I like them equally, well maybe... The stock stylus is mostly used with 60's-80 LP's and the Shibata on newer Lp's. My 3 bargain TT's each have a different type of stylus/cartridge: AT-33PTG/II is Microline, AT-150MLX with the ATN150Sa and a Hana EL with it's Elipical. Yet, the microline tip do suite me the most. The AT-150MLX & the ATN150Sa can still be purchased but the NOS cartridge is pricy. When audio-technica discontinued the 150MLX I bought a replacement stylus and after I tried the ATN150Sa I bought another as well.

Heckto35 and snorker like this.
  25. Itsik

Itsik Forum Resident

Did anyone here use the AT-33PTG/II on an SL-1200GR ?
    If yes, was height indeed an issue and a spacer was needed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.