Audio Technica ATH-M50x - thoughts, opinions, reccomendations, advice?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HotelYorba101, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member Thread Starter

I am currently rocking a pair of Sony MDR_7506's which are great however a bit light on the low end and the high end reveals a bit of sibilance if I crank up the volume to a satisfying level for me. I want to upgrade and get something super great and well balanced and I tried a pair of my friend's M50-x and they were super great!

Granted I am not super knowledgeable of the sonic nuances of the higher end headphones so would you recommend a college kid on a budget to invest in those headphones? How do they compare to the other headphones around that price range?

2. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

I have a pair if the ATH-M50s/LE's. The predecessor to the M50x's I believe. I really enjoy them. I find the bass to be accurate to the source. Especially tasty on jazz recordings......I don't listen to hip hop so I am not a bass head, as they say.

What kind of music are you listening to? Mine are great with all sorts of stuff, especially blues, my flavor of late.

google told me this:

Choosing between two over-ear headphones like the Sony MDR7506 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50x guarantees superior external noise reduction compared to smaller headphones like earbuds.

Impedance: The Sony MDR7506 has a higher impedance and needs more power to produce higher volumes. Very high impedance headphones are best used with amps.

Frequency Response: The Sony MDR7506 can output lower bass frequencies, but the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x has a higher treble frequency limit. To put the numbers into perspective, human ears can hear between 20Hz - 20kHz.

Operating Principle: Both of these headphones have closed system operating principles which work well for bass heavy music.

So perhaps your sony's are getting etchy due to a lack of power? My 50's can be driven by anything.....even my Ipod handles them nicely.

Centurion and HotelYorba101 like this.
  3. HotelYorba101

I listen to a lot of blues, rock, and jazz!

I have been listening to my friends M50x and they sound so crisp and clear and powerful, I am so tempted to get a pair right now but just thought I would see the opinions on here first. Thanks for the info!

4. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Let me put it this way: they're worth breaking into your college budget for. I say that from having the exact same experience when I bought them last year :)

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  5. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

I love my M50x's. Do it!

Massdrop.com has great group deals on these periodically, if you are patient. They sometimes have velour replacement earpads too.

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  6. HotelYorba101

Alright I got myself a pair and lemme say, I love them! Haha thanks everyone for the comments, I couldn't hold out any longer and I must say that I can't stop listening to them :)

7. Centurion

Centurion Forum Resident

Agreed, i have these as well. Apparently the 'X' version has just the tiniest bit more bass power than the regular version (which is already excellent). Also, the X version has three detachable cables. So i'm gonna get that one :)

8. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I travel a lot and I use mine with my PONO. Love them. Great choice.

9. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Yes. When it comes to closed-back headphones, the ATH-M50x is easily the best pair you can get for under $200.

10. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

If you want to cut your budget try the M40x instead. That's what I went for. Not quite as bass heavy as the M50x. But if you can afford the 50 go for it.

11. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

The ATH M50x is 50% off today at amazon.com. Check the deals in electronics. Great cans at great price.

Rolltide and Centurion like this.
  12. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I posted this in the Amazon thread, but their regular price is $150. Still a great deal for the headphones, but with all the retailers take the % off headline with a grain (or shaker) of salt. Music Direct has been guilty of this as well.

13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

This week I added the aftermarket velour/memory foam earpads to my ATH-m50x, giant improvement IMO. They have the comfort level of expensive open-back cans now, and because they sit a little further from your ears with the pads on there's not as much bass exaggeration. Great way to spend $20 IMO.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If anyone wants a pair of ATH-M50x in white, I'm putting a pair up for sale here for 80 bucks plus shipping. I only have the ipod length short cord anymore, however. Great cans but I don't use them much. I've moved out of my headphone frenzy period.

15. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I bought these headphones in summer of last year and paid ~$180 (got the blue color special edition). Amazon now sells them for $119.99 today only (only black and white though). I'd jump on it today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.