Audio Technica LP120 vs Sony PS-X5?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Master_It_Right, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anybody know how these two tables compare? Is there any comparison between the two?

I am wanting to get the X5 fixed because the automatic controls do not work (I can still use manual operation), but not sure if it would be worth the price to just upgrade to a new table instead.

Can anyone give me some insight?

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I've had both, and the Sony is the winner in every respect. Worth fixing, if you don't want to use it as a manual table. In fact, I put the feet from an old Sony PS-X5 under the Vestax, they're great.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  3. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Your Sony PS-X5 looks a lot like my PS-X7, I still dig my X7. Don't know much about the AT... I'd say, get the X5 fixed.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  4. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

That's because both models are virtually identical. The PS-X5 was the first model. The X6 replaced the internal gears and knobs for touch-sensitive electronics, and the X7 added a carbon fiber tonearm. All versions include the BSL (brushless-slotless) motor, quartz lock with Xtal lock (the magnetic strip under the platter read by pickup heads to monitor speed), SBMC frame (calcium carbonate, fiberglass, and a polyester binder), and gel-filled feet.

Sony's turntables in that era were something special. I've always been a big fan of their classic decks.

VinylRob and BuddhaBob like this.
  5. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Why did they put a strobe on a quartz lock turntable? That's like putting a speedometer on a car that locks at 55 MPH.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Probably as something to inspire user confidence. Sometimes, leaving the strobe off of a better model would have been seen by buyers then as cheapening out. Agree that it was a bit over the top as this machine didn't have pitch control (which would have justified it)

7. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

Definitely go with the Sony!

BuddhaBob likes this.
  8. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Love my Sony PS-X5. I have 3 different carts on 3 Sony headshells, I like it so much.

9. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Yeah, I went reading on the lineage of the model after see this thread. When the X7 came out it was that or a Philips GA-312 that I had an eye on. The Sony seemed less tweaky at the time... First TT I ever paid cash for back in the seventies. Those were fun times. It still has the gel-filled platter mat as well... and the plinth is heavy as hell and completely inert to room vibration, surprised no other TT have been made of that composite.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  10. Master_It_Right

Thanks guys I think I'll just stay with the Sony and get it fixed at some point. So far it's been a good table, sounds really nice. But the auto controls are screwed up. If I manually play the record all the way through, auto return works, but then the arm starts moving around all wonky. Maybe it just needs some lubrication. Thanks.

11. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

It just may need the auto-mechanism cleaned off old hardened grease and regreased. Mine started to falter after all these years and just needed a little TLC too. You may consider, if your good with a soldering iron, the line out cables on those tables is not that nice and mine went stiff, cracked on the insulator, and the RCA leads went really nasty over the years. There is a real small group of PCB boards stacked fairly tight together, and wouldn't ya know it, the soldered connection for this cable is in between two boards. But quite frankly, if I can do it, the rest of the planet should be more than capable. It's worth the hassle. Good luck.

12. Master_It_Right

Here's a PS-X7 nearby me if anybody is looking for one - http://madison.craigslist.org/ele/4754813074.html

I'm not that great with a soldering iron. Maybe I'll just leave it as is. I have $225. Maybe I should jump on that X7 and sell the X5. It looks like it's the same table except for a carbon fiber tonearm. Would that make much of a difference in terms of the sound?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  13. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

My platter mat is all scuffed up like that one on CL, huh? Always took good care of it. Still looks like the cat got to it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.