Audio Technica VM750SH catridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phono Groove, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone tried the new VM series , I am looking at getting the vm750sh. I've always used the at155lc and now recently the at150mlx and would want to continue using the audio technical line. Is the vm750sh basically a at150mlx with a shibata stylus? Any comments or thoughts? I was thinking of going with the ML series but I already own a at440mlb and a lot of people have said that the new ML series are almost identical to the at440mlb...

2. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Well-Known Member

I've been using one of the VM540ML carts for about 3 weeks now. I think it's great, but it required me to be fussy with dialing in both TT leveling and VTA before it started to show me what it could deliver. Seems to not be affected much at all by anti-skate settings. I'm running mine at 2.0 grams VTF, and 1.75 grams A-S.

3. Phono Groove

Fussy in what way?

4. Doug Walton

Fussy as in, the more I figured out and accurately dialed in TT leveling and VTA, the better the sound got. Left-right performance was vastly improved, soundstage seemed to really open up, as did the general depth of sound it delivered. Now, I suppose some of that could also have been the needle going through some sort of break-in or whatever. And I also spent a fair bit of time dialing the cartridge alignment too, but that was set soon after I got the cartridge.

5. Phono Groove

I see what you mean, my at150mlx is a bit the same way, have you compared to other audio technica's?

6. Doug Walton

I only can compare it to the AT95EX cartridge that came on the AT-LP5. And for that, I can say that it's a night/day difference. An entirely different level of listening enjoyment. For the VN540ML, I did change out the stock thick rubber mat for a 1/8" (thinner) rubber/cork mat, which let me drop the headshell to get it pretty much perfectly level, and I also use a 16 oz. record weight, and a few other minor tweaks to the TT.

7. luckybaer

luckybaer Forum Resident

Picked up a VM750SH. Installed on my Kenwood KD-2070 (Ortofon SH-4 headshell). VTF set at 1.8 grams. Haven't had a chance to really do any critical listening, but in comparing needle drops done with the VM750SH and the Ortofon 2M Red, I immediately noticed better bass definition and extension while listening to Elvis Costello's classic LP, "This Year's Model."

I also noticed that the sound is a lot fuller on my system when I'm full analog mode (not listening to a needle drop). I think I may need to dial back my click and pop settings in Vinyl Studio a little.

I hope to do a lot more non-needle drop listening this weekend.

Chris Schoen and Phono Groove like this.