Audiocube for vintage amps volume

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Pinhead, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

Does anyone on the forum have one of these ? Can you tell me your experience with it ?

[​IMG]

Seems nice but U$ 300 ?

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

BUMP !!!!!

3. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

To me this isn't a "vintage" product so I wouldn't combine it with a vintage system. That's just me though. I'm putting together a "vintage" system and plan on keeping everything in the chain period correct.

4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It adds a remote control volume function, why is that not compatible with a vintage system? It wouldn't be needed for new equipment, which usually already comes with a remote.

5. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I never said it wasn't compatible. My guess is it works just fine. I wouldn't use it with a vintage amp because it wasn't made in the vintage era. I prefer pairing vintage components with other vintage components.

6. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I never knew a thing like this existed.

7. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

I cannot speak for the Audiocubics remote volume control but - IMHO - a McIntosh CR7 remote control unit is a far better solution because in addition to the remote volume function, it will accept up to three inputs (2 + PREAMP) which may also be selected from the remote control. Additionally, the CR7 has two switched A/C outlets with total load capacity of 1800 watts which can also be used to switch on an outboard power controller if greater A/C capacity is needed. Thus the entire system can be switched on/off with the remote.

http://mcc.berners.ch/miscellaneous/remote-control-system/CR7.pdf

The CR7 usually sells for ~ $200 to $250* when they appear on the open market and is far more purposeful than the Audiocubics device- especially at its $300 price, again IMO.

I have a CR7 in each of my systems - one SS, the other vintage tube and there is absolutely no audible difference whether the device is switched in or out of the loop. It specs out at ~ 110 dB S/N and 0.007% THD. I can all but guarantee you will never know it was there.

*Make certain remote control is present when searching - often they are missing!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.