Audiophile AC outlets Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FillmoreGuy, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are they worth it, or just hype? thinking about spending $50 or so.

2. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

Yes made a difference for me

3. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

I spent far more than I will admit on a Furutech GTX NCF outlet with matching aluminum box and special cover plate. I then spent a number of weeks to get it broken in since it supposedly takes 500 hours to reach its full potential. And now it just sits there with nothing plugged into it. I prefer the sound of my builder standard outlet.

timind likes this.
  4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Same here.

5. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Ditto. But on a dedicated line. No idea if it makes a difference if it shares a line with your fridge, etc.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  6. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

7. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

The "great connection" needs to run all the way back to the power provider to make a difference. ....and even then your system would have to be pushing the limits for it to have an effect.

keiron99, Wngnt90 and Frost like this.
  8. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Not my experience the difference is noticed at any volume level.

F1nut likes this.
  9. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Fair enough....i have some very expensive Cardas power cables that are quite beautiful myself.It is possible that they will reduce RFI if you have that problem.I should probably add that in my line of work i frequently measure voltage/amperage drop ect,I have owned some monstrous amps over the years....none of them would cause a problem at even insane volume levels.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Frost likes this.
  10. harby

harby Forum Resident

To be fair, you thought they might make a difference, or you would not have spent ~$50 on it. Then the mind has a way of contorting our perceptions and beliefs, to confirm our decisions, our equipment, our selections, are the best.

Send an expensive cable to someone who believes they make a difference, and they will hear the difference. Send it to a skeptic, and they won't.

An anecdote is the worker who keeps calling the technician to have their machine worked on and adjusted. Finally, the tech puts a knob in so the worker can adjust it themselves. Of course the knob is a placebo, but it stops the service calls.

It might be argued it is better that reviewers get free stuff they aren't invested in, rather than subconsciously advocating and reviewing the wisdom of their own purchase decisions.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    rockphotog, vinylsolution and Frost like this.
  11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I've heard differences with both review outlets and ones I have bought.

12. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

Full disclosure: I didn't buy a $50 "audiophile" outlet (sorry if I misled the OP), I got $25 Hubbell 5262W outlet off of Amazon after following this thread: Why did changing a wall outlet make that big of a difference? .
    I wasn't really expecting to hear any difference - it was more of a "I have to pull my rack away from from the wall to do some work, so while I'm back there might as well replace the cheap contractor outlet just to cover all bases". Maybe it was confirmation bias, maybe not, but my wife could hear a difference too and she had no dog in the race. She would just as happily tell me my system sounds like crap as tell me it sounds angelic (she doesn't sugar coat things and is dispassionate about my hobby)

George P and Big Blue like this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

Sure, if they float your boat and you install them correctly, then no harm done. However, I believe a $20 hospital-grade outlet is much cheaper and likely just as high of quality.

rxcory, bdfin, George P and 3 others like this.
  14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Not in my experience. The Furutech and SR outlets handily beat the Hubbell I had in. I could A/B them by moving the plug to the line conditioner.

15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

This makes sense to me, but is a $30 difference really that big a deal in this game? I know it’s all relative to the individual’s system, budget, etc. I just think if I was going to bother installing a $20 hospital outlet hoping for the same results as a $50 “audiopile” outlet, I’d rather just start with the $50 outlet (assuming I trusted either of them would make a difference, which I am not decided on at all). If that $30 difference is going to bust someone, they probably woudln’t be installing a $20 outlet, either.

head_unit and Pastafarian like this.
  16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Have you ever encountered anything in audiophile land you concluded didn’t make a difference?

timind, Kyhl, beowulf and 1 other person like this.
  17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Cable lifts.

ChrisR2060, FillmoreGuy and Big Blue like this.
  18. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I constantly read the word “difference” being used in these comments. What I rarely see is someone using the word “improvement.”

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

It's implied on these types of discussion.

Ghostworld likes this.
  20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Did you allow the cable lifts 1000 hours to burn in?

(On a serious note, I'm glad there's at least one thing on your no list).

ChrisR2060, timind, Drew769 and 5 others like this.
  21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The more I explore better quality audio and as my system improves, the more I hear improvements from most everything.

Dave and F1nut like this.
  22. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

$50.00? What brand are you looking at that costs $50, or so?

A word of caution. A lot of so called Audio Grade outlets are nothing more than supposedly treated name brand $5 - $8 receptacle outlets you can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Shy away from outlets that have a steel and or galvanized steel supporting back strap. Ferrous steel can cause the sound of your audio system to sound grainy.

FillmoreGuy likes this.
  23. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I'm yea-nay.

I installed hospital grade Leviton outlets in my hi-fi locations and walked away happy. Rated at 20A instead of the normal 15A, and with, in general, better construction than the cheapo outlet normally used, I felt that would be good enough. They were around $12 if I remember right.

24. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I don't think they're worth it. I'm not going to argue about it though.

:-popcorn:

timind, Rolltide and Big Blue like this.
  25. Frost

Frost Forum Resident

Just a word of note for those installing 20amp outlets. Since most of your wiring is likely 14 guage in the home, installing a 20 amp outlet is against code and would be pointed out during an inspection during a home sale. Not dangerous since theres a 15 amp breaker ahead of it but still against code. Now if changing the breaker too, 12 ga or better needs to be run from the outlet back to the breaker.

ChrisR2060, timind, Kyhl and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.