Audiophile experience where you can "feel" the sub

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Big Thier, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Thier

Big Thier Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello, this might sound like a funny question but I'm wondering if it's possible to have an audiophile experience where you can "feel" the sub? Let me explain: I got a decent audio system in my car and there's a sub, and you can really feel deep bass hits, it makes the seats vibrate etc. Well, would it be possible to have an audiophile experience in a treated room with well calibrated speakers and sub, but still be able to feel the bass. Thanks.

(I mean I have a sub in my home studio right now and I guess I can feel it but not to the extent of almost getting a back massage from the bass coming out the trunk. I guess I want the sub really loud, but not to the point of "muddying" the higher frequencies... I only want the room or my chair to shake, that's all lol.)

2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Sure, why not?

3. House de Kris

House de Kris VVell-known member

Sure, I think it is important to feel the bass when playing music. Oh wait, I just reread your post, I may not qualify a an audiophile. So, never mind.

4. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I'm trying to figure out what an "audiophile experience" is. Sounds cool.

Big Thier likes this.
  5. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

You would want to have that room seriously treated for the low end, or it will be mud city. Treated is not a few thin panels between you and the speakers.

6. Big Thier

Big Thier Forum Resident Thread Starter

Word, is it a do-it-yourself job or do I need to hire someone?

7. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

In the car, it's an enclosed space and not much absorption, maybe that's why one feels the bass. I have a Bazooka 10" 100W sub in the trunk, actually have it dialed WAY down to better integrate with the main speakers. It still certainly fills in lower bass though. I have the volume control mounted next to my seat, and can dial it up or down to taste (or feel).

Also, the resonance frequencies in a car are NOT really in the ultra low bass, at least I don't think so. So the bass you feel is possibly a 2nd harmonic of the actual low bass notes in the music, and happen to be at or near the resonance frequencies of the car space.

In my listening room, using Saint-Saens 'Organ' symphony, (especially movement 2 where the organ comes in) there are sustained deep bass tones. The room 'shudders' with these if things are turned up, but I don't know that the listening seat vibrates actually!

I don't think getting shaken halfway out of your chair is really an 'audiophile' experience, but if you like it, it doesn't matter! I have read that it's best in an audiophile setup to have 2 subs, placed along the side walls, 1/2 way along the long walls. For example, if your seat is near the center of the room (it really shouldn't be ...) then the two subs would be directly to your right and left, against the side walls. I think the point here is to load the room but still be a 'smooth' response.

You can also place your chair at a room mode location, so the bass volume is maximized. Looking at acoustics and speaker/sub placement pages may help you with this. Actually, putting your seat dead nuts IN the center of the room may help you feel the bass, as I think there's a 'node' located there (at certain frequencies). Figuring out what these frequencies are then playing music with a lot of bass energy at those frequencies would maximize your 'pleasure' in this regard ...

You may want to get a test CD with bass sweeps or spot/warble tones, and just dial things in to get the effect you want.

Big Thier likes this.
  8. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Every day, pretty much.

Big Thier likes this.
  9. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Get a pair of serious full range speakers like my Tekton Pendragons and you will not miss a subwoofer. Deep bass with serious impact and a real impressive "audiophile experience.

Not only will you feel it, it will shake stuff loose if you're not careful! You'll easily find what is resonant in your house and probably have the cops over for a visit if you have disapproving neighbors. :D

10. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

No, totally a DIY job, just research needed. It need not cost significantly either, except some of your time to find out the correct way to do it .

11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I like bass to be tight and controlled. If feel it in my ears I'm happy.

12. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Big, have you looked into a butt kicker? The bonus is that movies can really benefit from them.

I don't equate seat rattling or rolling boom boxes to audiophile experience. And that is coming from someone with a 15" sealed sub in my stereo setup.

Big Thier likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.