Audiophile quality universal player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by grbl, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grbl

grbl Just Lurking Thread Starter

Is there and audiophile quality player out there that plays DVD-A, SACD, and CD? I'm still sitting on the hi-rez sidelines awaiting either resolution of the format war or a true audiophile universal player. Are there any out there? I know that there are some mass market brands out there, but I'm really not interested in those.

2. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

I use two AX-10's at the studios. They have a great sound. They do convert the DSD to PCM on the way out though. For some this really bugs them. For our broadcast use, you can't tell.

3. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

There is a Linn player for around $8,000. Lexicon makes one too for around $4,000. I am waiting for the second generation.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Wow, those are big bucks, Kayaker!

It sometimes seems to me that two machines - an audiophile DVD-A and an audiophile SACD machine - is cheaper than one universal player.

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Sometimes??? :D

-Jeffrey

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:laugh:

Yea, yea, OK - ALWAYS!! :D

7. grbl

Not necessarily. Let's remember that Linn makes a $20,000 cd player. My cd player cost close to $4,000.

8. dudeymon

dudeymon Forum Resident

I've seen some reviews on the new TEAC DV-50 that seem promising.

9. Vedric

Vedric New Member

This type of player would take a massive R&D effort to pull off for pure audiophile grade sound in each format. It could be done I have no doubt in my mind. The problem lies within the company attempting to make the product. Aside from the R&D budget, manufacturing costs would be extraordinary relative to market demand and companies likely to pull it off are the same companies that will cut corners every chance they get to improve profit margins. So in the end you will end up with a quality multi-player that is trounced in every way by the best single format offerings from highly focused and motivated "audiophile" companies.

That said I see no reason why we cant expect high quality sacd/cd players (we already have them). It looks as though DVD-A discs will now have a hybrid format much like SACD so backward compatibility wont be an issue (omg people listen to music outside of their homes?). I see no reason DVD players cant fill the gap for quality DVD-A playback.

That said, I think this industry kicks itself in the ass WAY too well. The "audiophile" is considered a fringe group. A small market segment of perfectionists if you will. I see it differently. The audiophile is one that has always loved music and at some point had his jaw dropped to the floor by a high quality system with well recorded/mastered software and said "oh my god". The irony here is that the more irresistible the software is the more irresistible the hardware is.

Sheesh this sounded like a rant. Sorry!

Vedric

10. Vedric

Vedric New Member

Funny life can be. After my bitter sounding (I didn't mean it to be!) response to this thread I find this review of a multi-format player..

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/esoteric_dv50.htm

Review of the player dudeymon pointed out. Priced like a high quality single format player. If its as good as the reviewer says it is then I would see it as a bargain. I need to listen to this one! If anyone else gives it an extensive audition share the details please.

Vedric

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Thanks to dudeymon and Vedric for pointing out the DV-50. First player I've encountered worthy of considering trading my Levinson 37/36 combo. I'll try to audition the TEAC.
    BC

12. grbl

Now we're talking. I'm hopeful that in the next couple of years a bunch of these come out, and I can safely get off the fence.

13. Everest Dave

Everest Dave New Member

Yes, Bel Canto Design makes a pretty darn good all format DVD player. It retails for about US$8000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.