audiophile stereo dealers: worst taste in music???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RelayerNJ, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Glad I am not alone!!

Mazzy likes this.
  2. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I sometimes think that audiophile demonstrations are the only reason Herb Alpert has continued selling records after 1965.

(besides, of course, the cover of Whipped Cream & Other Delights)

hvbias and zphage like this.
  3. Hepcat

Hepcat Member

I remember in the late 70s, my father and I went to the local hi-end hifi dealer and the assistant flipped on Close Encounters of The Third Kind: Disco.

Mazzy likes this.
  4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I used to demo high-end audio with "Biker Like An Icon". The salesmen were amazed at the dynamics and digital warmth.

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Exactly. I don't think the choice of music is necessarily a reflection of dealers' tastes. There are other considerations at work.

Mij Retrac and Marc Marlowe like this.
  6. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

When I booked a demo room in 1997 when I bought my amp and speakers, I took around ten of my own discs; even after I got them out, the young 'un who was my 'guide' went to take a couple of 'demo discs' off the shelf before I said ''we won't be needing those, I've brought mine''
    Young 'un : ''But these sound really good''
    Me : ''I'm glad to hear it, but I won't be listening to those at home, seeing as I don't like them''.

I do like to get my own way when I'm going to be putting just over £1,000 into their till. They seriously couldn't believe their eyes when I actually took CASH out of my wallet.

7. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Why would someone who's trying to sell expensive equipment to you make a comment like that?

8. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I can understand a comment like that. It's a competitive market. I would want to at least demonstrate the upper limits of any component if I am trying to make a sale by a least offering one stellar example. The thing is if he doesn't try and the next dealer does try, who wins? I'm thinkin the next dealer wins.

LeeS and Mij Retrac like this.
  9. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I can understand wanting to play a stellar example. I can't understand stating that classic rock isn't going to sound good, if my prospective customer has already expressed an interest in listening to it.

10. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I suppose I can understand it since I have dealt with it before. In my experience when this happened it was really just an honest opinion being expressed. this was back in the days when audiophilia was largely dominated by classical music. I think those of us who love classic rock have a different perspective on the relative merits of the sound quality of it than those who are exclusively into classical and/or jazz.

11. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

You may be right.

12. Mondayschild

Mondayschild Guest

Nothing beats that creamy tubey goodness.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Lets see, most abused demo songs in my life were:

"Back in the High Life" Stevie Winwood.
    "Hotel California" from the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" live album

Good songs and good recordings, but did I get tired of them.

14. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

This only applies to a few dealers I've met - from Singer Sound and Accent On Music among others. It isn't their taste that's disappointing. It's their incredibly limited knowledge of music. Unless you're counting duller examples of Blues, Folk, Country, Jazz and a little Classic Rock. Anything else and they're clueless.

15. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

Bring your own recordings to demo gear. Solves that issue. Diana Krall isn't a bad choice though. You know it's a good recording, you can assume the mics used were of very good quality and the engineers knew what they were doing. It's mostly acoustic music with minimal mics. Female voice usually falls in the range of at least one crossover, if your evaluating speakers. I can think of a lot worse demo music to use than Krall. But bring your own music.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Audiophile dealers have terrible taste in music?

You mean other than the stuff they are forced to play to sell gear, right?

I've never found a high-end dealer to have terrible taste in music, in fact I've found each and every one I've ever met to have a knowledgeable and WONDERFUL taste in music.

Dealers introduced me to MILES DAVIS, ELLA/CLAP HANDS, SONNY ROLLINS, FRITZ REINER, CLIFFORD CURZON, CHET BAKER, and many other wonderful treasures I never would have come in contact with otherwise.

I can say that at least 60% of my current "relaxing" listening (not work related) is of music directly introduced to me by audiophile dealers.

I haven't read this thread but am I the only one with this opinion?

17. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Maybe its time to move to LA!

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's too bad, because the Mobile Fidelity CD has an audiophile sound quality. But, if you don't like Boz Scaggs...:shrug:

The smart thing to do is to always bring music YOU like to listen to to get an idea of if YOU will like the gear.

19. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I sold medium high end gear for about fifteen years and I can say that in that time frame I think I had 1 maybe 2 people bring their own music in to listen to. Both times the recordings were awful and wouldn't make any good system sound good, as a matter of fact it would almost make them sound worse because they really showed off how bad the recordings were. I always made it a point to try to have at least one example of every popular genre to play keeping it heavy on the rock side of things since that is what most of my clients wanted to hear. The problem is like other people have mentioned that it is very, very hard to find well known, well liked music that actually took full advantage of good systems capabilities.
    Sometimes what I did was play something that I know they liked and then played them something I know would really show of the system. I tried to keep it to exciting music as much as I could. Things like Tchaikosvsky's Marche Salve or the 1812 or yes even Diana Krall. When I played something from her I tried to keep it upbeat though, something like Temptation from The Girl In The Other Room. I have to say though Beastie Boys Intergalactic sold me a few pairs of speakers as well as Jellyfish Spilt Milk.

20. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Have any of you who sold equipment had people bring in Gordon Lightfoot to demonstrate systems? These are excellent sounding recordings . The Amy Grant recordings I'd bring to audition equipment would include Age To Age, Straight Ahead, Lead Me On, Heart In Motion, and Unguarded. I'd also want to bring in some Pete Seeger, Burl Ives, Les Paul and Mary Ford, Chet Atkins, Belafonte, vintage Mormon Tabernacle Choir recordings, Edwin Hawkins Singers' O Happy Day album (one of the best recordings of a mass choir ever), Mary MacGregor's Torn Between Two Lovers (this is a demonstration quality recording and in fact, it was the original demo recording of the song as well), etc.

LeeS likes this.
  21. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I'd even bring Mason Williams in to test equipment as well and use Classical Gas.

22. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

To me the best stuff to bring for an audition is stuff you've listened to over and over and really know it. See if the same music through a different piece of equipment or system still evokes the emotion you're used to feeling and is the sound more or less pleasing overall. And yeah a lot of stuff the high end stores want you to hear is so stereotypical. Not bad stuff but how many times do I have to see Brubeck "Time Out" in the rotation?

RelayerNJ likes this.
  23. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

A lot of audiophiles have terrible tastes in music, but a lot of non-audiophiles have terrible tastes in music too. Billy Joel and Steely Dan are popular with both.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  24. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

Agreed, but shouldn't they play something high end, but very recognizable so the customer says, "wow, I've never heard it sound like this!"

Peter_R likes this.
  25. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's another interesting point. A good dealer should help you build a system that matches your musical preferences. My setup, which was assisted by some great guys at Audio Connection, is more or less entry level audiophile, but can play all my lps well. On the other hand, I've heard a ridiculously $$$ system that was great for classical (that listeners primary taste) but made a fine Steely Dan record sound horrible.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.