audiophile stereo dealers: worst taste in music???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RelayerNJ, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Herb Alpert's music is not boring to listen to at all, it is actually very groovy, IMO.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    Sneaky Pete and TLMusic like this.
  2. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Does Phil O'Hanlon still use that "Glow" disc of his to demo? It's got a nice balance of obscure and well-known, and I've used it sometimes to demo components at shows or stores.

3. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Piazza's going to be 50 in what, four years? Maybe he likes Diana Krall

RelayerNJ likes this.
  4. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

Actually, there's far worse than Diana Krall out there gang (as well as Billy Joel) :)

Mij Retrac and Grant like this.
  5. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Actually I quite like them both.

6. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

No I just think audiophiles are more opinionated.

Grant likes this.
  7. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

This is even more prevalent among high-end audio reviewers -- they'll be going along fine (if purple-prosily) describing the features of the gear, and then the minute they get to the audition section of the review, they whip out some horrible bland beige yacht rock or muzak jazz and start waxing poetic about its superb thus-and-such. Dude, if that's what you consider fantastic music, then how can I possibly trust your critical judgment about this CD player?

krlpuretone likes this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Diana Krall recordings are very good, IMO, which is why they are used in demos. I like the musical backing, but just don't like her vocal delivery.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

"Groovy"? Maureen McCormick once cried because they made her say the word "groovy" that was in the script. :D

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

yes, I think that Herb's music is groovy.

JL6161 likes this.
  11. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Absolutely.

I was in a demo room of a major cable company with the door shut, as I had been talking to the sales manager about carrying the brand. The president of the company went on and on about "connecting with the music" then slapped in a half hour of the most awful music I've ever heard in my life.

I remember texting to one of my friends who was working on another floor to pull the fire alarm because I felt like a hostage with cocktail toothpicks being hammered into my ears one at a time.

Detailed? Yes.

But really, really bad music. Some sort of Eurodisco predominantly soft jazz with random techno and classical parts.

Needless to say I had no interest in adding the brand after that...

12. Scott Wheeler

I don't really read a lot of high end audio reviews these days. Which reviewers are doing this and what "horrible bland beige yacht rock or muzak jazz" are they actually using for review purposes? Also, why would you consider a person's individual taste music a determining factor in their ability to judge the sound quality of gear? I am of the opinion that they are fairly mutually independent.

13. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

First made what guy?
    Second are you trying to say that Herb Albert never made a boring piece of music?

14. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Groovy is definitely not a word I would use to describe Herb Alpert. Sorry

Grant likes this.
  15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I only listen to test discs.

hi_watt likes this.
  16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Why would the more subjective matter of taste have anything to do with the more objective determination of whether it's correctly reproduced or not? Judging by his descriptions of the music, I probably couldn't get halfway through the discs Stereophile's Stephen Mejias recommends, but his ears are apparently reliable. His observations seem to be seconded to an unusually exact degree by John Atkinson's measurements or another reviewer's follow-up.

17. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Car-Fi in town (everytime I've been in there) has always used the Pink Floyd - 'Pulse' DVD to demo their systems. One of the guys in there I always deal with has always encouraged people to bring their OWN music or he'll ask what you like and puts on a satellite station that would pertain to you.

BradOlson likes this.
  18. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Oh, it's completely irrational, and I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the reviewer's assessment based on it; there's just that amusing bit of cognitive dissonance that can distract some from the topic at hand . . . like seeing a friend eating a Spam and grape jelly sandwich while giving you restaurant recommendations for your upcoming vacation. Reviews aren't all that relevant for me anyhow since "clear and detailed" to one person can be "shrill and grating" to another.

fitzrik and bhazen like this.
  19. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

You should always take your own music with you that you know well.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  20. Scott Wheeler

IOW it was a light hearted jab. I get that.

21. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

It was a light hearted jab to go with a little light music. I get that.
    All good.

damn, lost a longer post

22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Yeucchh!!

Spam goes much better with a light glaze of molasses.

23. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

What I found unbelievable when I was auditioning turntables a few months back was the condition of their demo records. Went to one dealer who played me the most beat up Copy of DSOTM with constant Crackling and popping. I asked if they had anything in better condition and he said it was all like that due to being played so much.
    Went to another dealer and the same deal with Michael Jackson Bad.
    I was only looking at relatively low end turntables but it makes you wonder why they can't replace their demo records when they're selling some very high end gear.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  24. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

"We've had the same demo record since 1973", he said.

Ash76 likes this.
  25. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Just take your own music. I take some non-audiophile stuff too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.