Audioquest Jitterbug - "Removes Parasitic Resonance"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CARPEYOLO, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

Well, I have to say, some cars that weren't designed for high octane gas did run better on it. I had an 80s AMC Eagle that was definitely not spec'd for high octane but ran noticeably better on 93. Of course it was on its last legs, and basically falling apart, so not a perfect test, as I'm sure the engine was well out of it's optimal state. Also, I have heard of some cars that ran better on a particular brand of gas. Anyway, this has nothing to do with my feelings about devices like the jitterbug. Gasoline englines are a lot less precise than dacs anyway.

2. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

Well, for certain oral procedures pre-medication with antibiotics is indicated. Also for people with some chronic conditions, before dental work. Because a lot of bacteria can be relased into the blood stream.

Taking antibiotics preventatively might clear up your skin a bit too - but its generally a bad idea.

3. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

Parasitic Resonance would be a good name for a bad techno group.

Mark_TB, LeeS and CARPEYOLO like this.
  4. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I think you may have missed my point. Are we still talking about AQ using this in their marketing?

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Were the rest of the analogies and metaphors used in this thread okay though?

jimbutsu likes this.
  6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I was given one, I could detect no difference with it in the system. I all fairness I'm not using it with a USB powered DAC so I don't know it would make a difference if the DAC received it's power from the computer.

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The power leads of USB cables are said to introduce untold manners of evil into your system, but I don't believe it influences jitter, which is a timing error.

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I believe the jitterbug is in part a line conditioner or at least a filter. It seems to have the same or similar effect as the iFi iUSB did on my iFi iDSD Micro which was a nice improvement in sound.

If you talk to digital designers from folks like Robert Watts (Chord) to Gordon Rankin (Wavelength), you hear them disparage USB as being problematic for audio since they are so noisy. So it seems reasonable that a device like an iFi iUSB and a jitterbug could have an impact on noise like a good power conditioner lowers the noise floor. And indeed the sound in my experience is better.

A lot of the comments here (and other similar threads) are from arm chair quarterbacks who don't actually experiment with the product but feel they know the theory and the theory says it cannot be done. So if theory is right in practice, we should just dismiss the product.

This Chinese proverb seems apt...

“Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it”

9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

You're having a really hard time wrapping your head around the fact that not everybody has a high-jitter situation that needs correcting.

Furthermore, despite the fact this device has a specific stated purpose, you just decided to assume this jitter reducer does more then reduce jitter.

Perhaps you could find us a condescending Chinese proverb about that?

10. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

My system definitely sounds better with antibiotics.

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Where do you connect or insert this in your system? :)

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

You need to research your replies better. I have said nothing about whether the jitterbug applies to all DACs or all situations. I have said that it worked in my experience on the Benchmark and dragonfly. And I said it was more like a line conditioner because we had a discussion on facebook with the designer Gordon Rankin and he mentioned it did some line conditioning. Gordon wrote the groundbreaking streamlength code and is one of the bonafide experts in usb audio.

13. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Careful: Statements such as this without bonafide scientific evidence to back up your belief are very likely to be subject to ridicule by many here on this board.

John K.

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Here is a quote from Gordon:

"Werner the JitterBug basically does 3 things. The first is that it isolates noise generated on the power and ground buss (known as VBUS/GND on the cable) so the attached device gets cleaner power. Second it blocks high frequency crap from leaving your computer jumping on the USB cable or Device and degrading it. Third it aligns the data in a way that makes the Device better cable of receiving the stream of data correctly"

15. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Yyyeeeeeeaaaahhhh....
    If I made a DAC that needed this particular kind of help, it'd be time for me to do something other than making DACs.

Rolltide, moogt3 and BuddhaBob like this.
  16. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I have to believe that the effects of this are very system dependent. I have noticed differences between USB cables. The scientists in this thread will think I am an unhinged lunatic because of this. I have also tried the ifi micro USB power device which people have raved about. There was little to no effect in my system so it was returned.

How you get data from a computer to a DAC makes a huge difference IMO. Digital cables, USB-spdif converters, and even USB cables will respond differently in a system.

ElvisCaprice and LeeS like this.
  17. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

One of the nice things about a Jitterbug is that, in many applications, it is quick and easy to insert and remove from the system, so the effect (or lack of effect) on sound can be determined with a fair degree of certainty. Indeed, it would not be very difficult to set up a blind test with a single helper.

In my system, I am currently using a laptop connected by a USB cable to an upsampler, and the upsampler is connected by a spdif connection to the DAC. I will probably eventually move to NAS storage of some kind, but am currently using this less ideal arrangement. So in my setup, the Jitterbug is plugged into the USB port of my laptop and the USB cable is plugged into the Jitterbug. Therefore, it is easy to insert and remove the Jitterbug from the signal path in several seconds.

In my system, the improvement is actually quite obvious and beneficial (more low level detail, better depth of image, less glare). I have not tried it in any other arrangements.

18. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

Ah, i didn't miss your point. But I should have been replying to the message you were replying to, that said:

"People don't arbitrarily take antibiotics to cure the infections they don't have, or just in case. Not a single person has suggested this gadget is somehow a scam, only that it's not a panacea."

19. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

as far as that is concerned, maybe i did miss the point. but people do in fact take antibiotics just in case.

20. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

no, only wine and auto analogies are allowed.

21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'm pretty much speechless I'm afraid.

22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Has anybody tried using a second jitterbug on another USB port of your computer other then the one you're using for USB audio? Audioquest says this makes a big improvement too. Given that it's only $50, I'd be curious as to see somebody's experience using about 3-5 of them, maybe in a USB hub?

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Gordon said this, not I, so you would have to ask him. I've always found him to tell the truth so is likely some science behind this statement.

24. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

No, there isn't I'm afraid. Which isn't the same as calling him a liar. I love my Dragonfly, Gordon did a good job with that one. The Wavelength DACs look out of this world. The fact that he's willing to post on message boards and answer questions about his work on Facebook suggests he's a really nice guy. I'll just leave it at that.

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

That's a pretty definitive statement to make. I don't think you know enough about usb audio or the product to make that statement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.