Austin Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Cassius, Dec 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Good to know, I'll have to haunt the Ear place once I get back down to Austin later this year. I agree re Waterloo- it is mostly new stuff, the used bins get picked over really fast-

2. Abhijit Nath

Abhijit Nath Forum Resident

Hi Bill,

I don't know how I missed your previous message- I just saw this now, when I'm already in NYC - grr. Anyway, thanks a ton for such a long, detailed message:).

I loved Austin- it's just the right size of town for me, big enough for live music, real stores and a downtown 'scene', but small enough to not be crazily impersonal. I missed eating at the places you mentioned, but I did have a bunch of great meals, including a couple of great steaks (just short of the best ones I've had in Japan, but just by a wee bit!)

There were a couple of gents prowling around for MOFI vinyl in the jazz section at Waterloo when I went back the second time. One of them gave me a heads-up on a Jimmy Vaughn concert that was in town the next day, but I was leaving, unfortunately.

3. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I had the same opinion of Waterloo when I went there this past June.

4. tzatziki

tzatziki Active Member

Was really disappointed with my last visit to Waterloo. Lots of new records on vinyl that were actually poor quality bootlegs. For example, "Harvest Moon" and "Dead Man" by Neil Young. Out of print for years, but somehow brand new for 20 bucks! A miracle!

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

That's a drag- I usually just hit the used bins, and go for stuff that seems less desirable- have gotten lot's of decent jazz records, a few mono rock records from the 60's, etc. All cheap, and most in pretty good (better than e-bay VG+) condition. When I get back down there, I'm going to have to check out some other stores. Waterloo is on my route to the gym every day from Clarksville, and is next to 24, that rockin' diner with real food, so it's not like I'm going out of my way to go there- in fact, i have to go out of my way to avoid the place!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.